What vehicle can I legal drive when 75

Gentlemen ,when I reach 75 this year am I able to hire a van 3.5 ton , I have looked at the D.V.L.A. site and got baffled, are the any age restrictions.or is it insurance??

supposing I was a owner driver and passed a medicial, would you be able to drive your own hgv?? aged 75,I have no idea.

Yes you can i know 3 drivers in my home town of Sheffield 1 works at an old firm I use to work for he’s 76 another’s at a firm I sub for he’s 78 and my mate who dose some casual for me he’s 74 he’s from Leeds these lads do a better job that the younger generation and my policy is only 800 quid

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Our oldest LGV C+E driver is 83, and he does 2 or 3 days a week. We keep a DAF CF for him, fewer steps to get into the cab. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks I, should have said I only have a car licence ,no HGV NOW

peggydeckboy:
Thanks I, should have said I only have a car licence ,no HGV NOW

Did you have a LGV licence :question:

Thanks ROG only since they first came out ,until 2002 however you will know what I want to know ,

if I go to hire a van to move ,it will be at lest 3 ton-ish I would say ,and I passed my test in 1966, h.g.v Grandfather rites ,also I know about the retest for a car and trailer if a car test was taken before 1997, but it just a van,I was told that I would not be able to hire one because of my AGE 75 IN APRIL, I have car insurance fully com, THATS ABOUT THE BONES OF IT,I would appreciate a opinion please .dbp Ps read my driving history maybe a bout 7pages back…

peggydeckboy:
if I go to hire a van to move ,it will be at lest 3 ton-ish I would say ,and I passed my test in 1966, h.g.v Grandfather rites ,also I know about the retest for a car and trailer if a car test was taken before 1997, but it just a van,I was told that I would not be able to hire one because of my AGE 75 IN APRIL, I have car insurance fully com, THATS ABOUT THE BONES OF IT,I would appreciate a opinion please .dbp Ps read my driving history maybe a bout 7pages back…

You can drive a vehicle up-to 3.5t MAM on a category B car licence regardless of your age, if you want to drive anything bigger than 3.5t you will need to renew your HGV licence.

So as long as you have a valid driving licence you can certainly drive a 3.5t van legally but only a hire company can say whether or not they will hire you a vehicle.

The question isn’t really a matter of what’s legal it’s more a case of what the vehicle rental company is prepared to do, as long as you don’t have a really bad driving record I can see no good reason why they would refuse to hire you a vehicle, but unfortunately it’s not what I think that counts :frowning:

peggydeckboy:
Thanks ROG only since they first came out ,until 2002 however you will know what I want to know ,

What B+E retest :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:
You WILL have BE on your current licence as you passed car test before 1997

Insurers often have an upper age limit when hiring vehicles

Yes ROG.I read the info wrong on the DVLA web site, please accept my apologies , I think it meant if you want to drive ,with a car ,or van OVER3.5 ton ,it takes you in to the LGV range. thank you I have what information I needed ,Trucknet comes up trips again .dbp