Any Hanson Haulage, Huddersfield (Leeds Rd depot)

Is there any Hanson Haulage Leeds road depot on here? i was on night trunk for 14 years until made redundant!

I remember their AEC’s on the London trunk, direct competition with Harrisons of Dewsbury. always well loaded (careful under the low bridge at Acworth :wink: )

I was only a lad at the time but I went down as trailer mate a few times.

grumpy old man:
I remember their AEC’s on the London trunk, direct competition with Harrisons of Dewsbury. always well loaded (careful under the low bridge at Acworth :wink: )

Breach of copyright photo I posted removed.
Oily

Thanks for your reply guys, the photo reminded me of Lou Ingram who done London trunk, they used to call him “wall of death” after he went up a bank on the A1 to avoid a small accident, he came down ok and carried on his way, you could see the wheel marks for long time afterwards it always bought a smile! I wonder if Pete Truelove is still driving he and is dad were also on London Trunk?
Take care all,Tom.

HANSON TRANSPORT D Series FORD.jpg
HANSON TRANSPORT THAMES TRADER.jpg
HANSON TRANSPORT THAMES TRADER (bumped).jpg

oiltreader:

grumpy old man:

Hi CoffinDodgerTom and GOM, is this the firm, this fine looking outfit from a fellow flickrite so thanks to him.
Oily

Wool out of London docks for Bradford.
The AEC vans had open tops so as to get a bit more payload on, load it, cover the open top with a purpose made sheet, and off you go. That’s why I mentioned Acworth Bridge, both Hanson and Harrisons always tried to sneak a bit more on, trunk driver turns up “will it go under t’bridge”?“course it will yer daft bugga, get thi notes and get down t’road”
Yes :cry: 45 minutes later they were ringing in with the top layer of the load all over Doncaster Rd. Ackworth. :unamused:

Happy days.

Welcome to Trucknet Old Tom. :smiley:
This isn’t you in this photo is it and how many nights out did you get for a London with that. :laughing:
Although you might remember a few old faces in the second photo.
Chris Webb might remember seeing another old tanker man Bob Bedford a.k.a. Elvis giving somebody his retirement clock.

1zpgocj.jpg1.jpg

showThumbCA9QJMY9.jpg

Between 1969 and 1994 I took thousands and thousands of gallons of benzene into ICI Dyestuffs Division,later Zeneca,in Huddersfield and never knew any of Hanson’s tanker lads.I was told that in the years I’ve just stated above that the same drivers were on that nitrobenzene job to Wilton,backloading pure benzene to Huddersfield for all those years,some on days,some on nights and it was a 24/7 job.The only people I got to know were the plant operators,one of which was known as “Herr Flick” as he stuck to the book bless him.I remember him bollocking me for fixing earthing clamp onto wagon,“that’s our job,you just oppen t’lids” or in later years open compt vents.“And mek sure tha vents thi tank someweer int hills,not int works”. This was in latter years when compt lids were not allowed to be opened and nitrogen pumped in when tipping. A good drop though in spite of all that.Happy days - and neets. :grimacing:

Hiya Chris, I thought that it was you who posted a photo of “Elvis’s” motor in one of your posts in the Tanker Companies thread many years ago. :blush: It was an E.R.F. with a blue sun strip in the windscreen with the words “Elvis” on it. I have spent most of the afternoon trying to find it but it looks like it’s another great photo that has now gone missing. :frowning:
In the early nineties I worked out of the I.C.I. Heywood depot and at week ends they would ask me if I wanted to work on Sunday’s and Bank holidays on the Nitrobenzene contract running out of Huddersfield.
It was often a case of going over to Huddersfield pick up a loaded Nitrobenzene tanker, drive up to I.C.I Wilton or Tees Storage at Seal Sands, tip and then go over to Phillips Petroleum at Port Clarence to load Benzine. As the two products were compatible there was no need to wash out the tank which always saved a bit of time.
Then it was down to I.C.I Huddersfield, tip and reload in the same place in what they called “The Paddocks” then back to the yard. It was a guaranteed job, ten hours at double time which often turned into a twelve hour shift. I can’t remember “Herr Flick” but I do remember seeing George Bloomer’s motors, in fact nearly all the tanker drivers would give each other a wave as they went along the A1 and the A19.
I wonder if we ever sat opposite each other in the drivers rest room at Seal Sands while we were both waiting to discharge and reload. :confused:

Photo Courtesy Of John Harrison.

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve,this is the only Hanson tanker photo I’ve got,I’ve never seen the one you mentioned.
I only ever loaded benzene out of Staveley Chemicals or Bitmac Scunthorpe and Llanwern for Huddersfield.Staveley wagons were double shifted and their regular drops were Shell Carrington,ICI Hillhouse Fleetwood,Huddersfield and Immingham Storage. They hated Carrington as you got messed about so much and would try and get out of it,rather doing 2 x Huddersfields,2 x Imminghams or a Fleetwood.I was taking it into Huddersfield from 1969 until 1978 and then for a few months in 1994 when it were Zeneca.I never went into Phillips at Seal Sands but we could well have seen other in “Paddocks”.

A tremcard for you,will bring back the memories of the hazards that I never knew about when I first started on tanks.Chemists would always put you right.

hanson1.jpg

Hi Chris, I have not seen a Trem Card for years in fact I had forgotten about those. :slight_smile: Most of our work from Heywood was with forty foot flats going to most of the I.C.I. sites like Blackley, Widnes, Runcorn, Ellesmere Port, Fleetwood, Ayr, Grangemouth, Billingham, Wilton, Huddersfield, Yalding, Avonmouth and Macclesfield which are some of the sites that spring to mind.
One place which has been bugging me for years was a job that I was asked to do on a Sunday morning from Huddersfield to an I.C.I. laboratory in Cornwall in a Transit van with about two dozen test tubes and a couple of Petrie dishes. I was told that these samples had to be checked for traces of Legionnaires Disease as they had been taken from some of the works air conditioners.
I have a feeling that this laboratory was on the coast somewhere near Falmouth, in what looked like a very small old dock in a very picturesque setting. Next to the dock was a small quarry dug into the hillside. One of the chemists told me that when the old wooden ships used to come in from Portugal with their loads of Port, the stone from the quarry was used as ballast for the return journey.
I have searched for years to try and find the place on Google Earth to no avail so I wonder if anybody can remember delivering to a small I.C.I. laboratory on the South Cornish coast sometime in the early nineties. :confused:

B.T.W. Chris, that photo of Elvis’s motor that I was thinking of might of been one of Jonny Trotters old photos.

Photo Courtesy of John Harrison.

oiltreader:

grumpy old man:

Hi CoffinDodgerTom and GOM, is this the firm, this fine looking outfit from a fellow flickrite so thanks to him.
Oily

Hello Oily, that photo of LCX 958 was taken by a professional photographer by the name of J. Morris Bray, who did many publicity shots for Hanson’s and I bought the photo from him back in 1994. Whoever has put another copyright mark on the photo is breaching the original copyright. I’m not blaming you at all, but just posting a correction.

The AEC Mk. 111 Mammoth Major was originally Hanson fleet number 159 and it operated on Hanson’s ICI Dyestuffs contract as a tanker when it was new. It’s second life was as it is shown in the photograph.

Chris Webb:
Hi Steve,this is the only Hanson tanker photo I’ve got,I’ve never seen the one you mentioned.
I only ever loaded benzene out of Staveley Chemicals or Bitmac Scunthorpe and Llanwern for Huddersfield.Staveley wagons were double shifted and their regular drops were Shell Carrington,ICI Hillhouse Fleetwood,Huddersfield and Immingham Storage. They hated Carrington as you got messed about so much and would try and get out of it,rather doing 2 x Huddersfields,2 x Imminghams or a Fleetwood.I was taking it into Huddersfield from 1969 until 1978 and then for a few months in 1994 when it were Zeneca.I never went into Phillips at Seal Sands but we could well have seen other in “Paddocks”.

A tremcard for you,will bring back the memories of the hazards that I never knew about when I first started on tanks.Chemists would always put you right.

Hello Chris, that’s another J. Morris Bray photo of the Mandator Mk.V. I went to his studio at his house to buy it along with others.

Hello Oily, that photo of LCX 958 was taken by a professional photographer by the name of J. Morris Bray, who did many publicity shots for Hanson’s and I bought the photo from him back in 1994. Whoever has put another copyright mark on the photo is breaching the original copyright. I’m not blaming you at all, but just posting a correction.
Thanks for that gingerfold, I respect your information and have removed said photo.
SHIRE HORSE flickr account has a whole load of Hanson photos some All Rights Reserved, ie permission required, and other photos Some Rights Reserved flickr.com/groups/1441105@N21/
and here flickr.com/photos/43847058@N03/albums.
Oily