Warrington padgate depot

ANYONE HERE WHO REMEMBERS OWD ■■■■ YARD FOREMAN AT PADGATE DEPOT ■■. I ran as a roamer from Fearnhead Padgate depot for YIDDLE DAVIS
FIRST VEHICLE AN ALBION CHIEF ,FOLLOWED BY A SPELL ON OLD SIX WHEELED AEC WITH TRAILING AX .1958 TO LATE 1969. LOVED EVERY MINUTE AND DON’T KNOW WHY I LEFT, MUST HAVE BEEN GIRL FRIEND TROUBLE,GOT RID OF HER SIX MONTHS LATER BUT TOO LATE ,JOB GONE".WENT TO A FIRM IN ATHERTON, "NESBITS’, A MEAN B****D WAS NEVER HAPPY AFTERWARDS. DAVIS BROS ALWAYS PAID FOR WORK WELL DONE.

padgate fox:
ANYONE HERE WHO REMEMBERS OWD ■■■■ YARD FOREMAN AT PADGATE DEPOT ■■. I ran as a roamer from Fearnhead Padgate depot for YIDDLE DAVIS
FIRST VEHICLE AN ALBION CHIEF ,FOLLOWED BY A SPELL ON OLD SIX WHEELED AEC WITH TRAILING AX .1958 TO LATE 1969. LOVED EVERY MINUTE AND DON’T KNOW WHY I LEFT, MUST HAVE BEEN GIRL FRIEND TROUBLE,GOT RID OF HER SIX MONTHS LATER BUT TOO LATE ,JOB GONE".WENT TO A FIRM IN ATHERTON, "NESBITS’, A MEAN B****D WAS NEVER HAPPY AFTERWARDS. DAVIS BROS ALWAYS PAID FOR WORK WELL DONE.

The firm was actually before my time but I knew of tbem and I believe their yard was by the Farmers Arms? Did you know a driver, the late Ken Morley? Real fine gent who went on to GL Baker (BOC) and Ferrymasters. He actually ended up back at BOC on nights and worked right til the end, bless him!

morning Hey day,
I’m now eighty years old so perhaps memories are getting dim, so not very sure about names or faces.
I remember a driver named “Len Mellor” ,who drove a Leyland Comet, and “Teddy Trow” also on a Cometplus a few others whose names evade me at the moment,but yes I think I can remember a Ben but then I kept very much to myself as I was the youngest of the roamers and was “in a way” not in the loop as one would say today. I will however give my old memory box a good shaking and if any name come to mind I will get back to you,
You are correct about the Farmers Arms pub, but there were not many if any of us used it,teachers training college very close by it was always full of their students.
Yiddle Davis was a good firm to work for,paid well if you did your work without moaning. He had a good foreman in Owd ■■■■, straight and fair with no flies on him. Some tried to fool him but he knew all scams and how to handle them, no good walking about with a piece of paper in hand,best way to get your cards or perhaps a yard brush for the remaining week,
I can only reiterate that working as a roamer was the happiest time of my many years as a driver and
I left all for a girl “what a fool”. Once bitten twice shy. Will be in touch.

Highest regards to all of you,Drive with care .

Guys As a young lad I remember Yiddels and I,m sure Pointers being there, Moving forward the College built a all weather running track and then Canada Close, just looked on Google maps and the running track has gone and new housing has been built there . Sure they we not there when we left for Canada ( 2007 ) but can,t remember also on that road between the Farmers Arms and Yiddels was the Entrance to the Golf Course and last I remember was an old green behind the Farmers Arms , Warrington New Town as it was called bought the land and moved Padgate Golf course back next to the M6

HELLO BOATCHASER AND HAYDAY.
apologies to Hayday for not getting name right last post.
Yes houses have been built on old college site. Golf course was built on also it was behind Powells Nursery. Old man Powell sold to the builders after Yiddles sadly closed. I have many happy memories of Fearnhead depot and all the people I met there including manager Angei Gordon.I ended op on a Scamel eight wheeled rigid,gate gear change “what an experience”,however he always made sure that I was paid the going rate. A good company to work for and a very happy one for me. It was a sad day when it closed.