ERF---v---Foden

Bewick:

gingerfold:
The ERF registrations figure for 1981 was 1,180 chassis and production did increase through the 1980s, with employees figures peaking at around 850. I met Peter Foden on a few occasions and found him to be a straightforward type of man. 3,000 chassis per annum would have easily have put them into the best selling category, and its possible that they could have achieved that in the late '80s, their best years. When the ERF factory closed employee figures were roughly half the peak figures.

I will add that Foden’s definitely had the better works brass band of the two companies. :slight_smile:

I have just been having a “Butchers” at the ERF history site and it describes how in the later 70’s prior to the first Recession of 79/80/81&82 they were building 16 chassis per day which once the recession took hold they were only building 16 chassis per week. So taking the figure of 16 per day which was the period I was referring to so Peter Foden’s claim about the engine split between ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ & RR was about correct if you do the maths ! I was confident that that is what he told me but the passage of time can dull the memory ! Cheers Dennis.

Didn’t they re-organise the production line when the B Series was introduced in 1975 to increase production?