Help! Pictures for Driver's Strike feature needed!

Hi all, me again… :blush: :blush: :blush:

As some of you may remember, I recently put together a feature for T&D about the 1978-9 Driver’s Strike, helped by some of the people who post in this forum - thanks, you know who you are. :grimacing:

Now comes the hard bit, illustrating the thing. We’ve got a lovely new Ed called Dougie Rankine now, and he’s actually willing to pay a few quid to anyone who can email us - or in this case, me - any photos of what happened, or even just of fleets around at the time…The only catch is we need them to be high resolution, so scans need to come out at a file size of 1mb or more, and we can’t take them directly from the forums.

If you think you can help, please post below and I’ll PM you. Thanks!!! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Lucy.

Hilucy,
You will say ohh no not him again, as for photographs I would say ,to have any record of photographs of drivers or fleets on strike will be like getting rocking horse ■■■■■ ,not ment in a nasty way ,photographs were the very last thing any men on picket lines out side their own depots we thought about [money for your pockets was the main thing] .

unless any local papers have any in their records. ALSO very few men who [contribute] on here would have been on strike… I hope you are lucky-lucy.pdb.

It’s probably not what you asked for but there are one or two companies still operating today who, apparently, worked through the driver’s strike (I was still at school but I have been informed by a number of senior union men.)

I have only ever seen pics of drivers picketing their own quarries etc due to ‘in house’ disputes, there are a few already on this forum, but never any of the supposedly national strike which seemed to pass me by completely? :confused: .

Pete.

you could ask someone at yuill and dodds up in hamilton.
they ran a lot of coal there at the time.
they must have pics of the scanias and volvos all kitted out with the saudi/aussie/usa spec windscreen grills and armour.
plod ■■■■■■ in and out,running in at daft times 24/7 ,all good fun.
oops,im thinking of the later miners one…( smacks self on back of legs) :slight_smile:

Found this small article Lucy. Probably not what you are looking for as pics are awful.

Click on page twice to read.