Steve Grahame

1100k’s a day!!! … Somewhere down the line some nut case decided it was fine for us to do 14 hours driving over a 17 hour spread…
Standard days are 12 hours driving over 15 hour spread, but if you and someone from management has done an Advanced Fatigue Management course, paid the fee and are deemed to be of good standing… then you can say good by to any kind of normal life… and be incharge of 130 a ton Road Train doing 90 kph ( although it probably doesn’t have a speed limiter so when no one’s looking … ) for 14 hours a day… did I mention we still run manual log books… 1100k’s not much of problem…

There are ways that the RTA can check up on you, but in remote areas it’s up to you if you want to take that chance… and the penalties are pretty stiff…I know outfits that regularly cover 1300k’s a shift…I’ve also seen the remains of Road Trains 20 to 50 meters of the road on their sides, and when that happens the media and the RTA ( Road Transport Authority ) is all over us…

One of the main reasons I quit driving in Europe and moved to Australia was that I thought that the driving regulations were to restrictive, some days it works for me… others, not so much…But I do get to play with some very big toys…

Jeff…