The Honeyfarm.

I had an awayday Sunday, to this gem of a place in the Borders just west of Berwick.I
I’ve been there a few times over the years, but it’s always worth a visit, there’s always something new to see. I had a good chat to the owner Stephen Robson, he remembered
me photographing his immaculate ERF 8wheeler a couple of years ago on the Coast &
Castles Run, he is such a live wire, always got a new project on the go. As busy as he was he still took the time to show me around his workshop. Anyone with an interest in farming and
the relevant machinery? The Honeyfarm will be having an exhibition of vintage tractors
and ploughing on Sunday 18th November.
IMG_20181008_214356.jpg

IMG_20181008_213626.jpg

IMG_20181008_073552.jpg

That Diamond T would be Willy Hunter’s old one from Gordon ( between Earlstone and Greenlaw ) I got towed out of a wet boggy farm by that once…

Jeff…

Hello Kev, good shout for a thread :smiley:… on your recommendation, I had a very enjoyable few hours there back in 2015 and found the young industrious Mr Robson a very engaging character, plenty time for the craic, interestingly telling me how he repped all over the country selling his honey, I bought some in the Hebrides back in June.
The Foden 6 wheeler belongs to the chap on the tractor, that’s him coming out of a shed that was still under construction, Mr Robson was building it himself and talked me through where he had obtained the materials, a lot of it re-cyclyed.
Oily

Chainbridge Honey Farm  (8).JPG

Oily, the shed is finished now and full! One problem is it’s not deep enough for the Diamond T which is 30’ long, so he may have to build an extension on the front as the back of the shed is hard up to the field hedge.

IMG_20181009_224147.jpg
IMG_20181007_225010.jpg
IMG_20181009_223816.jpg

kevmac47:
Oily, the shed is finished now and full! One problem is it’s not deep enough for the Diamond T which is 30’ long, so he may have to build an extension on the front as the back of the shed is hard up to the field hedge.3210

Morning Kev,
That certainly looks like a milking machine to me, you can see the teats that push onto the udders?
I stayed at Haggerston Castle 15+ years ago and can remember seeing signs for the Chainbridge Honey Farm, Cracking pics by the way mate, Thanks for posting them, Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

kevmac47:
Oily, the shed is finished now and full! One problem is it’s not deep enough for the Diamond T which is 30’ long, so he may have to build an extension on the front as the back of the shed is hard up to the field hedge.3210

Morning Kev,
That certainly looks like a milking machine to me, you can see the teats that push onto the udders?
I stayed at Haggerston Castle 15+ years ago and can remember seeing signs for the Chainbridge Honey Farm, Cracking pics by the way mate, Thanks for posting them, Cheer’s Pete

Morning Pete, looking again at the “machine” you’re probably correct, that was my first impression, the blue plaque on the right bears the legend Wolseley Sheep Shearing Machinery. They must have built other products , I’ve put 2+2 together and got 5!! :blush: regards Kev.

kevmac47:

pete smith:

kevmac47:

Morning Kev,

Morning Pete, looking again at the “machine” you’re probably correct, that was my first impression, the blue plaque on the right bears the legend Wolseley Sheep Shearing Machinery. They must have built other products , I’ve put 2+2 together and got 5!! :blush: regards Kev.

Hi Kev,
It is a Wolseley engine, I believe Lister also made a full range of implements for their engines also, Cheer’s Pete

Definately for milking, an Alfa-Laval vacuum pump and trap with a ‘Gascoigne Positive Pulsator’ laying on the floor next to the bucket and cluster. Engine is a Wolesley WD2, a later development of the smooth hopper WD1 model made for use by the forces, and will date from the 1946-51 period. Have a couple myself, the one here being supplied to Fullwood and Bland in 1947.

steng72.jpg

Pete.

I called in here on my way back from the Edinburgh Truckfest in August, it’s a very interesting place to spend a few hours. I was very pleasantly surprised to find the cab off an ERF KV which had belonged to a firm well-known to me back in the day, namely Fred Crowther of Wakefield. It sits on a pallet near to what could be its original chassis, but no-one about at the time to ask. It would have been fantastic to hear the Vickers Vigor fired up, I haven’t seen one of these since about 1957, when there was one working on an opencast site near my home near Barnsley. Definitely a worthwhile place to visit, especially as entry is free ! (Yes, I did put a contribution in the collection box !)

IMG_20181010_191751.jpg
IMG_20181010_191445.jpg
IMG_20181010_191014.jpg

A few more from last weekend,
IMG_20181011_223334.jpg
IMG_20181011_222853.jpg

IMG_20181011_222310.jpg

Thank’s for the Miracle Milker pic Kev, I have one to restore and that will help a lot. :wink: Will have to call in next year when we are in the area.

Pete.

windrush:
Thank’s for the Miracle Milker pic Kev, I have one to restore and that will help a lot. :wink: Will have to call in next year when we are in the area.

Pete.

Pete, Stephen is the man for you , he’s never too busy to talk about his projects. Regards Kev.

Here are the last few pics I took last week.
IMG_20181013_212108.jpg
IMG_20181013_211809.jpg
IMG_20181013_211413.jpg
IMG_20181013_211041.jpg

IMG_20181013_210616.jpg

A wee nudge to keep it going :slight_smile: from 2015 visit.
Oily

Chainbridge 16825657013_e58dff9437_k.jpg

Those coal scales brought back some memories. Just need a size 10 shovel to go with them !

Tyneside

Hi all,that look’s a real interesting place can anyone go for a look around,my sort of place could spend a few hour’s looking round. shame it’s a long way up but we do get up around that way on holiday. Keep the picture’s coming please.

gerbil sb152:
Hi all,that look’s a real interesting place can anyone go for a look around,my sort of place could spend a few hour’s looking round. shame it’s a long way up but we do get up around that way on holiday. Keep the picture’s coming please.

Yes gerbil sb152 you can wander round for as long as you like, no charge, good chance of coming across young Mr Robson who will readily engage with what he has done, is doing and future plans, there is a double decker bus cafe, snacks. coffee tea etc. caravan park right next door where we stayed the night.
chainbridgehoney.com
and the cafe a Bristol Lodekka chainbridgehoney.com/cafe-bus/
Oily

Hi oiltreader thank’s for that we are looking at having a trip north next year farm and campsite look good so will give it a go . cheer’s mate :smiley: