Hauliers of the nineties

Yorkielad:

ContainerHill:
I remember Gaffers when they used to run into a place in Crigglestone. I believe it was called Vulcanite or something? Did roofing stuff if I remember correctly. Small family firm on the same estate called Gilbert Chapple Haulage ran Fodens on tipper work and Colmill Scaffolding were also running a few Foden 4x2 rigids.

Yeah it was vulcanite roofing felt,don’t know if it’s still there,or chapples though.
I also remember Sissons pulling out of Bison concrete floors at Stourton with the Fodens.
Gaffers Did mamas and papas out of Huddersfield and fox’s biscuits at Wakefield too.

I haven’t been there for years. When I was a kid I went out in the lorry with a guy called Tony who drove the Scania rigid for TSL at the bottom of the estate. I know Gilbert was getting on a bit, but not sure whether his son Mark took over the business. Would be interesting to see if they’re still running those old motors. They loved their Fodens. I remember their used to be a lovely red/yellow Merc SK that occassionally parked in their yard and an Iveco EuroStar which I think was Jepsons(?) pulling curtainsiders over to Europe