Pubs that were actually on the Woodhead pss

Hello fellow members
My late father who drove for 30+ years for the BRS Sheffield branch told me that there was a pub on the Woodhead pass but it was demolished many years ago, does anybody know of this pub & what was its name & where it was on the Woodhead.

alf1956:
Hello fellow members
My late father who drove for 30+ years for the BRS Sheffield branch told me that there was a pub on the Woodhead pass but it was demolished many years ago, does anybody know of this pub & what was its name & where it was on the Woodhead.

Hi Alf.
I read about an old pub on Woodhead that was demolished years ago but can’t recall where.According to Wikipedia there was one at Saltersbrook ….

A packhorse route called a saltway was maintained from the Middle Ages onwards for the purpose of allowing the export of salt from the Cheshire wiches of Nantwich, Northwich and Middlewich across the Pennines. The passing trade brought prosperity to settlements along the route. The importance of the salt trade along such saltways is shown by surviving placenames; for example Salter’s Brook (SK137999) is where the saltway forked, with one route leading to Wakefield and another to Barnsley. The stone Lady Shaw Bridge still exists at this point, as do the ruins of an old inn. The bridge is just wide enough for a packhorse, though it is suspected that the bridge may have originally been wider and was deliberately narrowed when the Saltersbrook turnpike was built, to prevent vehicles bypassing the toll barrier.[7]

I used Woodhead for donkey’s years,from 1967 till 1994,days and nights and there is only the Dog and Partridge and the Flouch Inn further down nowadays.
I might have known your father,was he at Staniforth Road or Parcels on Langsett Road?

Didn’t there used to be a pub a couple of hundred yards west of the old Robin Hood café or is my brain totally cooked?

Eddie Heaton:
Didn’t there used to be a pub a couple of hundred yards west of the old Robin Hood café or is my brain totally cooked?

The Robin Hood café was on the left just below the Dog and Partridge Eddie.

Yeah, that’s the one Chris, I’ve just found it on street view. Its quite a few years since I’ve been that way, but I don’t recall seeing any pubs between The Flouch Inn and Tintwistle, although I only go back as far as 1968. But then, are we talking about the approach from Stocksbridge, or the approach from Penistone?

langsettparishcouncil.org.uk … 14865.aspx

Try this website

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I took 2 * 20 tonne loads of building stone away from the flouch inn where they now built houses ,the stone went for use on a house extension down lumsdale in Matlock .

Not Woodhead but Standedge

Floating Lights

mat79:
Farms & Inns - Langsett Parish Council

Try this website

Thanks for that Mat79,I never thought of looking at Langsett website. There is a nice walk from Wagon and Horses around Langsett reservoir,you wouldn’t know the A616 and A628 were close by.

My old man used to frequent the Dog and Partridge. He used to travel over Woodhead and back every day Monday to Friday. ( Worksop to Crawfords biscuit factory in Liverpool with bulk flour ) He would call at the Robin Hood for breakfast on the way over and the pub for a pint on the way home in the evening. I would go with him at every opportunity and he would take advantage of this and get me to blow the load out while he had a kip.
There were a couple of pubs in Tintwhistle but I can’t remember their names; he never stopped there though.
Traveling over Woodhead for so many years, mid 50’s till the mid 60’s. He got to know a great many regular drivers and I remember the enamel being worn through around the light switch on his Leyland Super Comet from constantly flashing his lights to them.
Hope this is of some interest. ROCHY.

ROCHY:
My old man used to frequent the Dog and Partridge. He used to travel over Woodhead and back every day Monday to Friday. ( Worksop to Crawfords biscuit factory in Liverpool with bulk flour ) He would call at the Robin Hood for breakfast on the way over and the pub for a pint on the way home in the evening. I would go with him at every opportunity and he would take advantage of this and get me to blow the load out while he had a kip.
There were a couple of pubs in Tintwhistle but I can’t remember their names; he never stopped there though.
Traveling over Woodhead for so many years, mid 50’s till the mid 60’s. He got to know a great many regular drivers and I remember the enamel being worn through around the light switch on his Leyland Super Comet from constantly flashing his lights to them.
Hope this is of some interest. ROCHY.

I remember a pub called The Gun in Tintwhistle,there was another called the same at bottom of Mottram Hill.In winter int 60s and 70s police used to put “road closed” barriers up in Tintwhistle when snow blocked Woodhead.Bloody kids used to move em at night,some drivers went past when it were raining and found a couple of feet of snow further up. :open_mouth:
That Dog and Partridge did a bit of “after bird”,when I were on nights I could see into bar when passing around midnight,early 80s.It was also handy for a dodgy night out,2 bob to park,leave money in a box on wall round back.Landlord had an Alsatian and used to threaten local ministry “silent checker” from Penistone with it if he tried taking reg numbers of wagons. :smiley:
Rochy,your dad must have worked for Smiths Flour Mills then?

Eddie Heaton:
Yeah, that’s the one Chris, I’ve just found it on street view. Its quite a few years since I’ve been that way, but I don’t recall seeing any pubs between The Flouch Inn and Tintwistle, although I only go back as far as 1968. But then, are we talking about the approach from Stocksbridge, or the approach from Penistone?

Well Eddie I would class Woodhead as beginning at Flouch and ending at Tintwhistle,but some folk maybe include Langsett and as far east as Millhouse Green.
Dog and Partridge is still the only boozer on Woodhead proper,just found out that Flouch Inn has gone.That “Beater’s Restaurant” has been added on I’m sure,we used to turn in to park up where that is.

dogand partridge.jpg

I’ve been looking on old Ordnance Survey maps and come up with these few, all between Flouch and the eastern end of Tintwistle, and all long gone :
(Heading westwards)
There have been two Inns at Saltersbrook, the first, unconfirmed but probably The Saltersbrook Inn, was near the old packhorse route below the present-day bridge and is said to have closed in 1852, around the time of the coming of the railway. Another pub, the Millers Arms, was built alongside the new bridge in 1828 and its remains can just be made out in the grass on the right just before the bridge.
The Crown Inn, Woodhead. On the left, just after the bend where the tunnels start. There is still a flat plot of walled-off land here where the pub was, opposite the smaller lay-by.
The Angel Inn, Woodhead, on the left a couple of hundred yards before the bridge across the reservoir. The site can still be identified.
The George and Dragon, Woodhead, on the left opposite where the road from Holme Moss joins. Again, an easily identifiable location.
Commercial Inn, Crowden. On the right just past the bridge over the stream leading into the res, overgrown nowadays.
The Quiet Shepherd, Hollins. On the right, overlooking Torside Dam, now a private house.
“Unknown”, on the left at the top of the bank down to Tintwistle, just before Old Road comes in on the right.

The Crown Inn at Woodhead was listed as a Fare Stage in the Yorkshire Traction/North Western joint Barnsley - Manchester bus service timetable.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all that info Fodenway,I never realised there were so many pubs on the Woodhead Pass.
The Crown would be where the lay-by is just east of where that old quarry that has a snap van in then? I can see on Google maps a small walled off area like you said,opposite the small lay-by.I wonder when that was demolished?
There used to be a café where the “unknown” pub was at top of the hill above Tintwhistle,I wonder if that was the pub at one time,not much room to park wagons.
I’ve not been over Woodhead since 1994,I didn’t realise the Flouch Inn had gone.I remember one or two “stray” wagons on their sides in Flouch Transport’s yard when it was a crossroads. :laughing: :laughing:

You’ve got the location of the Crown spot-on Chris. I think it was still on the go in the fifties, the building shows up in lots of photos of the railway taken around the time of the electrification in 1954, might even have lingered until the M62 opened. Somebody on here might be able to fill in the blanks. The George and Dragon also seems to have outlasted most of the others. I’ll be over Woodhead again tonight, always an interesting trip.

Chris Webb:

alf1956:
Hello fellow members

Hi Alf.
I read about an old pub on Woodhead that was demolished years ago but can’t recall where.According to Wikipedia there was one at Saltersbrook ….

A packhorse route called a saltway was maintained from the Middle Ages onwards for the purpose of allowing the export of salt from the Cheshire wiches of Nantwich, Northwich and Middlewich across the Pennines. The passing trade brought prosperity to settlements along the route. The importance of the salt trade along such saltways is shown by surviving placenames; for example Salter’s Brook (SK137999) is where the saltway forked, with one route leading to Wakefield and another to Barnsley. The stone Lady Shaw Bridge still exists at this point, as do the ruins of an old inn. The bridge is just wide enough for a packhorse, though it is suspected that the bridge may have originally been wider and was deliberately narrowed when the Saltersbrook turnpike was built, to prevent vehicles bypassing the toll barrier.[7]

I used Woodhead for donkey’s years,from 1967 till 1994,days and nights and there is only the Dog and Partridge and the Flouch Inn further down nowadays.
I might have known your father,was he at Staniforth Road or Parcels on Langsett Road?

Hi Chris thanks for your reply he worked at the Staniforth Road depot, i remember going with him as a child in his Foden reg number sum 54 his fleet number was 3D7 & I think I have some photos of that lorry somewhere. My Uncle Raymond worked all his working career at the parcel depot in the old barracks.

alf1956:

Chris Webb:

alf1956:
Hello fellow members

Hi Alf.

Hi Chris thanks for your reply he worked at the Staniforth Road depot, i remember going with him as a child in his Foden reg number sum 54 his fleet number was 3D7 & I think I have some photos of that lorry somewhere. My Uncle Raymond worked all his working career at the parcel depot in the old barracks.

Hi alf,I have a photo of SUB 732 Fleet JA37 but it’s a Leyland Octopus,Staniforth Road based though.The code changed from DA to JA but I can’t recall when.Would be nice to see your photos of SUM 54.

Chris Webb:

mat79:
Farms & Inns - Langsett Parish Council

Try this website

Thanks for that Mat79,I never thought of looking at Langsett website. There is a nice walk from Wagon and Horses around Langsett reservoir,you wouldn’t know the A616 and A628 were close by.

Yep. Know it. Goes past that old farm house they apparently used for target practice during the war. Or so I’m told …! Yes your right about not knowing you were that close to both main roads.

fodenway:
You’ve got the location of the Crown spot-on Chris. I think it was still on the go in the fifties, the building shows up in lots of photos of the railway taken around the time of the electrification in 1954, might even have lingered until the M62 opened. Somebody on here might be able to fill in the blanks. The George and Dragon also seems to have outlasted most of the others. I’ll be over Woodhead again tonight, always an interesting trip.

I have all the books about the Woodhead line,I’ll endeavour to scrutinise the pictures more closely.
I never got tired of using Woodhead,I first used it in 1967 and years later I was on regular nights for MFS Maltby 1979-86 and used it with my wagon and drag. I used to hate going M62 when it was closed. Machins,Redfearns,Cutts,Bass Charrington and various Lincs and Norfolk market lads were regulars at night.Happy days.

Hi Chris.
My old man worked for Beards Millers in Worksop, a small family owned mill. They had eight wagons in total six four wheeler flat bodies and two bulk tankers.
ROCHY