Old lorry 'driving experiences'

Does anybody know if any companies exist that offer driving experiences of classic and vintage commercial vehicles?

I’ve searched the web and can’t find anything… aside from a Routemaster bus, and a 1980s Peterbilt.

I’d love to get behind the wheel of an old lorry, or a few, from yesteryear, even if for just 20 minutes. I’m surprised businesses like this don’t seem to exist as they could be a revenue earner for those who own such vehicles.

it would certainly be an earner if they limited it to any of the newbies,especially those who passed in an auto…id reckon the 20 mins would be spent trying to find a gear to get it out of the gates… :laughing:

dieseldog999:
it would certainly be an earner if they limited it to any of the newbies,especially those who passed in an auto…id reckon the 20 mins would be spent trying to find a gear to get it out of the gates… :laughing:

Or the first 20 minutes looking for the ■■■ lighter socket to plug sat nav in

ezydriver:
Does anybody know if any companies exist that offer driving experiences of classic and vintage commercial vehicles?

I’ve searched the web and can’t find anything… aside from a Routemaster bus, and a 1980s Peterbilt.

I’d love to get behind the wheel of an old lorry, or a few, from yesteryear, even if for just 20 minutes. I’m surprised businesses like this don’t seem to exist as they could be a revenue earner for those who own such vehicles.

Morning ezydriver,
I own a 1957 Albion Chieftain, not roadworthy at present, I drive my mates vehicles for him as he has about 7 in his collection varying from a 1932 Leyland Badger to a 1979 M series ERF, now those 2 motors are like chalk and cheese to drive because of the vast age difference.
I would suggest visiting a local rally, one on next weekend at Kettering, and talk to a owner who is local to you to gain his trust to let you have a drive in his vehicle or just as a passenger, remember after all a lot of these restorations have cost the owners a lot of money.
I hope this helps you out a bit and sorry I cannot give you a more positive answer, Cheer’s Pete

This is something I would like as well now that my driving career is long behind me, surprised that nobody has come up with the idea as you can hire classic cars to drive for a day/week/ whatever. Maybe the owners of preserved commercials are wary of letting ‘strangers’ lose behind the wheel when they have probably spent a considerable amount of time and money restoring them, can’t blame them really.

Pete.

Wouldn’t the commercial nature of a driving experience, invite a more expensive category of registration?

pete smith:

ezydriver:

Morning ezydriver,
I own a 1957 Albion Chieftain, not roadworthy at present, I drive my mates vehicles for him as he has about 7 in his collection varying from a 1932 Leyland Badger to a 1979 M series ERF, now those 2 motors are like chalk and cheese to drive because of the vast age difference.
I would suggest visiting a local rally, one on next weekend at Kettering, and talk to a owner who is local to you to gain his trust to let you have a drive in his vehicle or just as a passenger, remember after all a lot of these restorations have cost the owners a lot of money.
I hope this helps you out a bit and sorry I cannot give you a more positive answer, Cheer’s Pete

Thanks Pete. This is a good idea, and suggested to me before. Even riding as passenger would be better than not ever riding in a classic.

ezydriver:

pete smith:

ezydriver:

Morning ezydriver,

Thanks Pete. This is a good idea, and suggested to me before. Even riding as passenger would be better than not ever riding in a classic.

Hi Mate,
This is the last motor I drove for my friend,the Guy, from near junction 12 M6 to Lincoln Farm Cafe and back, 40 mph with the wind behind you, very under powered and a very cramped driving position, so as a passenger you can see for yourself.
Now his Leyland Octopus is a different motor to drive altogether, nice positive gear change, power steering and gets along ok in traffic!

p1001536052-3.jpg

GUY_Vixen_-784_XUG-pickfords_furniture_van-M2255_at_Wolverhampton_11-_IMG_8167.jpg

Lovely stuff, thanks Pete. I swear I’ve seen the Octopus in a magazine.

ezydriver:
Lovely stuff, thanks Pete. I swear I’ve seen the Octopus in a magazine.

Yes mate, Paul has been in the various magazines with his vehicles over the years, the Octopus started life as a tanker for Midland Tar Distilleries

Power steering is for wimps. :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Power steering is for wimps. :wink:

I know and you know but the truth needs to be told, some of them old uns are a bit of a handful, bit like you mate!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: The good old days- Atki 8-wheeler tipper, no power steering, through the middle of London standing up to heave the thing round corners & roundabouts while the right foot was planted on the throttle, urging on every one of Mr Gardner’s 150 horses!

Retired Old ■■■■:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: The good old days- Atki 8-wheeler tipper, no power steering, through the middle of London standing up to heave the thing round corners & roundabouts while the right foot was planted on the throttle, urging on every one of Mr Gardner’s 150 horses![/quote Well ROF I used to run into London 50/60s Era, The AEC MK 5 That I drove for my late great uncle Isaac Smiles had no powered steering, But of course as you will probably know the good old AEC,s had geared steering, Lots of easy turns on the wheel, But one had to leave loose after turning onto full lock & let the steering wheel correct itself otherwise you could end up with a few black finger nails,Regards Larry.

I went with Gunnerheskey for breakfast ,he drove my ERF and never missed a gear :sunglasses:

I’d love a days ‘driving experience’. Any one of these 3 would do
#1 Mk 5 AEC
#2 Anything with a 290 ■■■■■■■ and a 9 speed Fuller
#3 Anything with a 150 Gardner and a 6 speed DB

Power steering? Power steering! You youngsters don’t know you’re born Pete, before you know it you’ll be mentioning auto 'boxes “for a smooth and comfy drive”…

I’ll get me coat…

Power steering ■■ ye gods, try a non power ERF artic reversing into a tight spot. That sorts the men out from the boys. :unamused:
A non power Octopus was not for the faint hearted.
But thank god we eventually got it, it was a good development unlike (IMO) auto boxes. I once had a go with an auto box Scania and soon realised it was not for me
Auto boxes for cars ?..yes
Auto boxes for lorries? …definitely NO :smiley:

grumpy old man:
Power steering ■■ ye gods, try a non power ERF artic reversing into a tight spot. That sorts the men out from the boys. :unamused:
A non power Octopus was not for the faint hearted.
But thank god we eventually got it, it was a good development unlike (IMO) auto boxes. I once had a go with an auto box Scania and soon realised it was not for me
Auto boxes for cars ?..yes
Auto boxes for lorries? …definitely NO :smiley:

My thoughts exactly Grumpy old man, loved the auto 'boxes in the flash cars I had (a manual in a Jag XJ is definitely a no) can’t stand 'em in lorries! Always doing things you don’t want 'em to do, shifting to soon or to late, or losing the plot altogether…

pv83:
Power steering? Power steering! You youngsters don’t know you’re born Pete, before you know it you’ll be mentioning auto 'boxes “for a smooth and comfy drive”…

I’ll get me coat…

You keep the cheek up Whips, remember you will be in easy reach of a clip round the lug hole in a couple of weeks!