Buses, coaches, & lorries

rastone:

oiltreader:
One of a kind.
Oily
AEC Sparshatts Airport Bus
1972, Aircraft Park, On long term display
This unusual coach was built in 1972 by Sparshatts of Portsmouth (later part of Wadham Stringer group of companies) for use at Bangladesh Airport. Due to internal problems in that country, it was never delivered and was registered in Britain as LLH 889K on 7th April 1972 then operated instead by British Airways at HeathrowAirport.
The unusual feature of a door at the front of the bus unfortunately makes it illegal to operate on public roads so it is therefore restricted to an airport site. It was donated to The Aerospace Museum at RAF Cosford in 1982 for display with other exhibits forming the BritishAirwaysMuseum.
Following the dispersal of the British Airways exhibits at the RAF Museum at Cosford in 2006, this unique vehicle was donated to Brooklands Museum.

I’don’t know if I’m in the right " quote" bit but looking at the Rover reminded me of a very good friend of mine John Derbyshire from Ashbourne who worked for Trent and what he didn’t know about Gardner and S.O.S. engines was superb.He put a Gardner into his Armstong Siddely.I think there was a Bentley going about with a Gardner Engine somewhere

‘Gingerfold’ will undoubtedly have more detail, but I think it was Hugh Gardner who had a Gardner-engined Bentley, and I have a feeling that there was a Gardner-engined Lagonda at the factory too. I’ve seen LK engines in a Mk IX Jaguar and also a Series 1 Land Rover and an early Range Rover, not to mention an LC Morris Commercial