Ford Transcontinental help please

I’m looking for some dimensions for a Transcon please. 6x2 tag axle wheelbase in particular. Also any photos of the tag axle set up. Ta

Hello Chris
The six wheel unit( 6x4)is 3353mm/132 inches
No measurements in my brochure for a 6x2

Hello Chris.

Been looking for details on this subject but not much to offer I’m afraid…If my memory serves me right tag axles were offered by Ford as an S.V.O. (special vehicle option) and I think it was a York conversion.Other people would offer them but not perhaps with Ford approval.Any problems with the York model would come under the Ford gurantee.
There is a chap down Southish from me and he is a bit of a Transco man in fact more than a bit.i sold him some Transco stuff on E-bay ( whish I hadn’t have done) For the life of me I can’t remember his name now but there was an article in Heritage Commercials with pictures.The reg no of this beast is KEV 108Y which suggests to me it was Ford Motor company vehicle.Go onto Google pics.and there is a photo of this motor.You probably know all this and but Look in Patrick Dyers book and You could give him a ring I’m sure he wouldn’t mind.He phoned me when he was putting things together for his book that I’d got on E-bay but Tone wasn’t going to take the price I wanted.Good job.
His book is a very good read.QA fiirm called S.A.F. did tag axles too.

Tony

rastone:
Hello Chris.

Been looking for details on this subject but not much to offer I’m afraid…If my memory serves me right tag axles were offered by Ford as an S.V.O. (special vehicle option) and I think it was a York conversion.Other people would offer them but not perhaps with Ford approval.Any problems with the York model would come under the Ford gurantee.
There is a chap down Southish from me and he is a bit of a Transco man in fact more than a bit.i sold him some Transco stuff on E-bay ( whish I hadn’t have done) For the life of me I can’t remember his name now but there was an article in Heritage Commercials with pictures.The reg no of this beast is KEV 108Y which suggests to me it was Ford Motor company vehicle.Go onto Google pics.and there is a photo of this motor.You probably know all this and but Look in Patrick Dyers book and You could give him a ring I’m sure he wouldn’t mind.He phoned me when he was putting things together for his book that I’d got on E-bay but Tone wasn’t going to take the price I wanted.Good job.

Tony

The fella that owns KEV 108Y is Robert Dulieu.I dont have any contact details but i am sure there will be
a Ford Transcontinental group on facebook and i would ask on there. :wink:

DEANB:

rastone:
Hello Chris.

Tony

The fella that owns KEV 108Y is Robert Dulieu.I dont have any contact details but i am sure there will be
a Ford Transcontinental group on facebook and i would ask on there. :wink:

Thanks for that I remember now

Tony

Hey Chris,

I hope I can me of any assistance but 6x2 tag…is the tag the rear/end-axle or a twin-steer tag?

Best regards,

A-J

Thanks everybody

The wagon in question when I had it had a twin wheel rear axle and I cannot now remember whether it was a lift axle or not. However I managed to speak to someone who had it after me who said it had a SINGLE wheel lift axle at the back when he had it. I have one photo showing for sure twin wheels at the back

The wagon was a conversion anyway, so its not forced to be Ford spec.

I want to build a model of it and all I have to go on are some dodgy 30 year old photos, and some even dodgier 30 year old memories :unamused: :unamused:

I suspect the drive axle is in the right place for a 4x2 and the chassis was lengthened behind it.

I did not take these photos

Cleary twin wheels at the back here

Hi Lonewolf,
If you read what I wrote, you will see it was a rear tag axle that DIDN’T lift. The inner of the twin wheels on that axle had been removed (possibly for weight reasons or puncture use) and the remaining 12.225 size wheels were dished outwards. The add-on axle was a “home made” job that made the overall length of the tractor unit excessively long. The 5th wheel had been moved back on the chassis to accommodate most trailers. The step-frame trailer I bought to go with the truck had been purpose built to fit this unit, with about 60cms added to the rear and about 1mt added to the front to allow it to run reasonably close coupled. I never sent it through Switzerland as it was overlength but mainly used the train through Austria from Manching to Brenner and vice-versa.
Bernie

Yeah sorry mate I did pick up on the non-lift bit after I wrote that last post. I think I’m simply going to build it and add a double wheel non lift tag at the back.