R Hanson and Son Wakefield

Warrior:

danny_mk2:
Hanson was based just up the road from Newmillerdam in Barnsley/Wakefield (green motors) and were sold out to Hargreaves in 2004 i think, But from what my dad was saying they were a big firm back in the day

Your dad was right,they did all the yorkshire pits,always immaculate ,if my memory serves me right a good precentage were Atkinsons.

HELLO MATE MY DAD USED TO DRIVE FOR HANSON IN THE OLD DAYS OF NEWMILLERDAM (ALAN BROWN) AND YES THAY SOLD OUT TO HARGREAVES IN 2004-5 .THAY USED TO RUN OUT OF OUR YARD (J .CUTTS ) BARNSLEY ,THAY STARTED BACK UP 12 MONTHS AGE AND THAY AV GONE BUST JUST OVER A MONTH AGE MARCH 2012 HOPE THAT HELPS OUT ,:slight_smile:

DODGER BARNSLEY:

Warrior:

danny_mk2:
Hanson was based just up the road from Newmillerdam in Barnsley/Wakefield (green motors) and were sold out to Hargreaves in 2004 i think, But from what my dad was saying they were a big firm back in the day

Your dad was right,they did all the yorkshire pits,always immaculate ,if my memory serves me right a good precentage were Atkinsons.

HELLO MATE MY DAD USED TO DRIVE FOR HANSON IN THE OLD DAYS OF NEWMILLERDAM (ALAN BROWN) AND YES THAY SOLD OUT TO HARGREAVES IN 2004-5 .THAY USED TO RUN OUT OF OUR YARD (J .CUTTS ) BARNSLEY ,THAY STARTED BACK UP 12 MONTHS AGE AND THAY AV GONE BUST JUST OVER A MONTH AGE MARCH 2012 HOPE THAT HELPS OUT ,:slight_smile:

Hey up dodger ar tha gooin on pal its thi owd mate ray( Myatts)hope tha alreet pal ars thi dad speaking to his owd mat yesdi Ray Key was down in your yard a couple weeks ago asked john to remember me to you a rely enjoy this trucknet site stay lucky owd pal.RAY :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There was a restored hansons tipper at the local classic show a few months back will get pic up when i get a chance :smiley:

Mikerlay:

B loody 'ell, that’s a frightening sight, One was scary but running mob handed like that was even worse. Peters lads didn’t take prisoners…"ger o’er to t’left, we’re coming through " :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

danny_mk2:
There was a restored hansons tipper at the local classic show a few months back will get pic up when i get a chance :smiley:

And what a credit it was to it’s owner. A top job.

Anyone got any color photographs of the fleet or know of any websites that may have any pics, Trying to get hold of some photos 70’s and 80’s but having no luck!!!

Danny_mk2@hotmail.com

The late Jim Taylor from Huddersfield had a great many pictures of the Hanson fleet and was planning to write a book about them before his untimely death a couple of years ago.

His entire archive was sold, but before people had a chance to see the Hanson material it mysteriously disappeared - apparently against the wishes of his family.

What became of it I don’t know, but there are certain individuals out there who do…

Cheers for that, Im trying to find pics of the tippers for the old man but not having much luck, maybe this is why :frowning:

Loads off old vintage and commercial mags to look through then :open_mouth:

Is this Hansons the green wagons from Netherton or somewhere? Now owned by hargreaves?

I am probably wrong, but I was under the impression that it was M F Hanson from Great Harwood that was taken over by Hargreaves.

Danny leave that one with me. I think I may know a man who can :wink: But I will have to track the little monkey down first. Will do my best anyway :wink:

Cheers mate would be a great help if you can find any pics :smiley:

Thanks to everyone for the help :slight_smile:

Nessa just spoke to my dad and you were right, when he worked there they were at Flockton just up the road from Netherton :slight_smile:

Is this the same Hansons as Hanson haulage out of Huddersfield in te 70’s?

montydog:
Is this the same Hansons as Hanson haulage out of Huddersfield in te 70’s?

No - that one is what Lord Hanson (of ICI) used to refer to as “the family firm”, and it is still going today.

danny_mk2:
Anyone got any color photographs of the fleet or know of any websites that may have any pics, Trying to get hold of some photos 70’s and 80’s but having no luck!!!

Danny_mk2@hotmail.com

I’ve not seen any colour pics, but there was a B&W feature on them in the Atkinson house magazine c.1964.

There were a couple of other occasions where they featured in the Atki mags: Hanson had chassis no. 20,000 brand new, and also operated the only Atki built in the U.K. with the Australian Atkinson cab.

240 Gardner:
[
There were a couple of other occasions where they featured in the Atki mags: Hanson had chassis no. 20,000 brand new, and also operated the only Atki built in the U.K. with the Australian Atkinson cab.

Is this the big square sleeper cab that we have discussed before, and, not being pedantic, but do you mean that all except this one were built in Oz, or that some were built in the UK and only one remained in the country?

Salut, David.

Spardo:

240 Gardner:
[

Is this the big square sleeper cab that we have discussed before, and, not being pedantic, but do you mean that all except this one were built in Oz, or that some were built in the UK and only one remained in the country?

Salut, David.

No David, not pedantic at all! The cabs, both day and sleeper, were built in Australia by Reinforced Plastics (Pty) Ltd. Just one day cab was shipped to the U.K., and I have photos of the packing case being opened at Walton-le-Dale!

It was mounted on an Atkinson ‘Black Knight’ 8-legger chassis with the additional feature of Holset ‘Velvet Ride’ rear suspension. It was exhibited in plain white as a chassis cab at the demonstration park of the 1968 Earls Court Show.

It was later sold to Hansons, and registered (I think) MWT 100G - a Yorkshire reg rather than the Lancashire one it would have had if Atkinson had registered it. I did hear that it had been written-off in an accident, but I don’t know if that’s true.

And, unless I win the lottery and import another, that was the only Aussie-cabbed Atkinson in Britain, albeit on a U.K. chassis.