Brewery Lorries

I know that there are many pictures of brewery lorries on various threads on Trucknet,
so I have decided to start a new thread just for brewery lorries, past and present.
Many brewery names come to mind, here are a few names to kick off with.

Higsons, Liverpool
Timothy Taylor, Keighley
Robinsons, Stockport
Shepherd Neame, Faversham
Duttons, Blackburn
Boddingtons, Manchester
Joshua Tetley, Leeds.
Magee Marshall, Bolton
Trumans, London
Tennants, Scotland
Charles Wells, Bedford
Eldridge Pope, Dorchester
Brickwoods, Portsmouth
Hall & Woodhouse, Blandford Forum
Gales Ales, Horndean, Hampshire.

Here is a very smart Albion lorry of Higsons, Liverpool to start with. Kind Regards, Ray Smyth

H.G Simmonds of Reading, a large fleet of ERF’s etc before being taken over by Courage. Thomas Wethered of Marlow, a lovely fleet of Thorneycrofts and other uncommon vehicles like Morris LD and Austin dropsiders, and also Brakspears of Henley on Thames.

Pete.

King & Barnes Horsham

transportphotos.com/road/photos

JLC00354-24.jpg
JM12261.jpg
JS02073-05.jpg
RC00025-10.jpg

Scottish And Newcastle Breweries Aylesford depot. Brand new Renault urban artic 1st load.
Younger's renault.jpg

Warehouse

Wm Youngers W'Hse.jpg

Thank you to Stanfield and cav551 for giving this thread a flying start with some great pictures.

Guinness tanks on Jarvis Robinson Leyland Beaver & trailer on the Dock Road in Liverpool, 1960s. Ray Smyth.

Couple of Fremlins

fremlin.jpg

Maidstone High St

Bass Worthington wagon and drag.

bass.jpg

I am struggling to recall whether the S&N Freighter D655 ESF was one of the several Leyland 420 powered vehicles in the Aylesford fleet or if it was the sole DAF 620 powered one. I expect someone will know when Leyland first started fitting DAF engines in Freighters.

In spite of the vehicles being treble manned there was an awful lot of manoeuvring damage, particularly to n/s/f wings and steps.

I don’t have any pictures of the Bedford TL fleet sadly, but I do recall one which was due for MOT and was breathing very heavily, which wasn’t unusual for the Bedford 500 engine, so a hose was led from the breather pipe and poked into the air filter trunking. An early attempt at a primitive EGR valve?

A couple of Isle of Man photos.

iom15.jpg

Not a lorry but a local brewery to us Strong & Co of Romsey, remember there big roadside signs " Your in Strong Country now " cheers Buzzer.

Bass Charrington Bedford.

Local brewery to me was W.B.Mew Langton from the Isle of Wight, drove for them in 1965 from their Lymington depot. (sorry no pics) the beer etc used to be delivered twice a week from the island by their own barge ‘The XXXX’ (fourex) they also had a beer of the same name with a pic of the barge on. They also had small distribution depots in Southampton and Portsmouth. They were taken over along with Strongs of Romsey in 1966 by (I think) Whitbread group, I went to drive for another local company rather than opt for a long commute within the group.

HuC1231.jpg
HuE1039-e2.jpg
CGc00077.jpg
CZC00217-17.jpg
A old mate of mine drove for these at Newton Heath

And then went on for these until they finished.

W M Darley Seddon.jpg
Whitbread Seddon.jpg

Stanfield:
A old mate of mine drove for these at Newton Heath4

Hi John, Great brewery lorries pictures. The Bedford artic on the Bury Brewery Co. picture has what looks like XKF 84,
a Liverpool Reg No., I wonder is it a haulage contractor, I cant make out the name on the cab door. Regards, Ray Smyth.

I imagine Chris Webb in th`Isle Of Man will recognise this Leyland DAF 55 of Okells Brewery.
I believe that Castletown Brewery and Okells Brewery are now one company. A connection
with Chris is that Castletown Brewery were taken over by Hope & Anchor Brewery from
Sheffield in 1948. I recall “Jubilee Stout” was also brewed in Sheffield. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Okells.jpg

Estrella Damm is a brewery in Barcelona, Spain. Two of their little lorries are seen here
in Mojacar, Almeria Province, engaged in important deliveries. Ray Smyth.

Stanfield:
A old mate of mine drove for these at Newton Heath4

Reg Wooding’s Thorney I think is the most photographed ( Joules) in the country.Looks as if it’s still working, but I suppose it is really.

I know I’ve asked many times about photos of the 33 D.-Series I sold to Ind Coope c 1979 also the 15 low frame 1715’s later.What a pity that digital cameras were n’t about then. Has anybody got any ?

Tony

4.jpg

1.jpg