NewYears question

Right Lads and Lasses if you want to play, submit a fossil question for the New year, hear goes mine is. Before we had all the don’t drive stuff that hits you in the face when we turn the key and have low air pressure. Which British Lorry had a low air indicator which was a lever in the centre of the dash and disappeared when the air was built up, I know of one but more than likely there are more, Happy New Year.

this should be interesting, i seem to remember something had a flag on the dash, like a little thing that would pop up, and go down when there was enough air. i cant remember any details though.

I’m pretty sure that my Leyland Octopus (early 70s before LAD cabs) had a large metal hand that used to stick up from the broad metal shelf that ran along under the screen when the air was low. Don’t think it had a key though, certainly the old Mk 1 Atkis didn’t, just a switch amongst all the others on a box on the back bulhead of the cab, or to the right of my right knee just in front of the door.
Was everyone more law abiding in those days? Door handles with outside screws, ignition switches without keys, and whisky on roped and sheeted flat trailers. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Now for my question. Which British lorry was the first to have an (exterior) sunvisor and (interior) cigarette lighter as standard equipment?

Free week in the beautiful Dordogne for the first correct answer. :laughing:

Salut, David.

Spardo:
Now for my question. Which British lorry was the first to have an (exterior) sunvisor and (interior) cigarette lighter as standard equipment?

Free week in the beautiful Dordogne for the first correct answer. :laughing:

Salut, David.

Now that would have to be the Guy Invincible Mk.3 with the fibreglass cab!

heres my question, in 2 parts

1, who was the firm that converted the tk’s into 6 leggers?
2, bedford eventually made their own early 6 legger, what was the model name?

240 Gardner:
[

What a monster of a motor, nearly as big front to back as a modern sleeper.

Welcome to the Périgord Vert 240. Anytime. Give us a call :wink:
I’m sure we’ll get along, even if you don’t know your Atki from your Thorney :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Salut, David.

Mal:
heres my question, in 2 parts

1, who was the firm that converted the tk’s into 6 leggers?

Primrose

2, bedford eventually made their own early 6 legger, what was the model name?

Err :confused: :confused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :cry:

QT? :laughing:

Salut, David.

Mal,
The answer to your questions are.
Tipper body conversions ‘Edbro’ from Bolton and the mighty ‘Primrose third axle’ from Blackburn.

I’ll say that air indicator thing was on the AEC Mammoth Major Mk 111 and as well as Primrose there was Boys , Halmo and York at least , doing third axle and chassis extensions. In fact York seemed to come up with a lot of engineering ideas for semi trailers, remember that HOBO lifting front axle from the early 70’s ?.

Spardo,
it was a Guy(feather in our cap) I’m sure my brother in law drove one for ‘JCW’ from Darwen and it also had a big illuminated head board and they called it the Beast, after all it did have a 6LW :laughing:

well lads, i dont want to be contraversial, but! :wink:

1, reynolds boughton from 1963 did conversions is what ive got here, though primrose for certainly rings a bell, and i’ll take your words for it there were more! maybe rb were bedford authorised or summat?

2, the 1969 model kme, it had the km cab of course, looked a nice motor!

ive got a pic of an 8 wheeler tk here, anyone ever see one of them in the wild??

a 6lw taskman! thats gotta be at least 100 bhp aint it? monsterous! :wink: :laughing:

Norde made their own 6-wheelers using the TK as a base.

They were from Darley Dale in Derbyshire. (NORth Derbyshire Engineering)

Taskman:
Spardo,
it was a Guy(feather in our cap) I’m sure my brother in law drove one for ‘JCW’ from Darwen and it also had a big illuminated head board and they called it the Beast, after all it did have a 6LW :laughing:

That’d be Jos Walsh from up Bull Hill then?

they did marky, in fact i think there was an article about them not too long ago in the HC?

i think the bedford was an underrated motor, ok, i took the ■■■■ out of them at the time too we all did i think, but they were a tough little motor, and i really quite liked the km’s.

The KM was actually developed with the assistance of Knowles Transport from Wimblington.

They created the double bumper arrangement on the front of one of their ‘big’ TKs and the idea was adopted by Bedford.

You’re right, they were a tough little motor. So many of them round our way worked on in a second life as horse boxes, coal wagons, skip wagons, etc. Not many others at the time could do the same.

Marky,
Spot on mate man an boy with Jos Walsh and still in touch with some of the lads from those days when the first pub on the way home was the Cemy, Mal actually it was 128hp, and yes an AEC Mamoth Major it was :wink:

Marky,
Did you ever work for Atki’s at Bamber bridge?

Nope - why do you ask?

Spardo:

240 Gardner:
[

What a monster of a motor, nearly as big front to back as a modern sleeper.

Welcome to the Périgord Vert 240. Anytime. Give us a call :wink:
I’m sure we’ll get along, even if you don’t know your Atki from your Thorney :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Salut, David.

Ha!! I bet there’s not many on here who have driven a Thorny as many miles as I have - especially one from 1924 with oil lamps, opening screen, hand start and no front brakes!!!

I’d draw the line at taking it abroad (at 18 mph) but I’m sure my Rear Steer Atki would make it!!