Jim Wilkinson, R.I.P

It is with great sadness I have to announce the passing of Jim Wilkinson. Jim was very well known and respected for his depth of knowledge and enthusiasm for commercial vehicles from from as far back as the 1930s. He was the acknowledged expert on Halley vehicles and also Albion. His 1950 Albion in the colours of Powell’s Products he drove from new until he moved to Blue Circle Cement. He rescued the Albion from a scrapyard in 1971 and it’s been in his proud ownership ever since. Jim celebrated his 93 birthday just last month with his son Iain, daughter in law Rachel, and his latest love, his beautiful four year old grand daughter Florence. He was Chief Judge at the Tyne Tees Run from it’s early days until recently, a rally he was deeply involved in starting and running. Jim’s funeral will take place at Saltwell Crematorium at 1500 on Thursday 17th May. R.I.P. Jim.

Very sad news, I have known Jim since the late seventies, through meeting him at many historic commercial rally’s and with the North East Area of the HCVS, for which he did such a fine job. He was a very knowledgeable man and I feel honoured to have known him.

R.I.P. Jim

My thoughts are with Ian and his family.

Mark

That’s sad, I have been following his life history in Heritage Commercial mag for the past couple of months.

Pete.

Very sad news about a lovely gentleman who was always welcoming and friendly when I was a regular entrant on the Tyne-Tees run from the late 1980s for fifteen years or so. He has had a “good innings” and I offer my sincere condolences to Iain and his family R.I.P. Jim.

Graham

windrush:
That’s sad, I have been following his life history in Heritage Commercial mag for the past couple of months.

Pete.

A very interesting and well documented read Pete, not many people can say they were on the only British troopship to pass through the Panama Canal during WWII. I will miss him a lot, I’m very proud to call him a good friend. Regards Kev.

Sad to hear this, Jim was very much an expert in the industry with a vast knowledge of hands on experience. Condolences to Iain and the family, I know he was very proud of his Fathers achievements and lifetime in the world of haulage and classic goods vehicle restoration. RIP Jim.

Aye Kev, this is sad news I new Jimmy when he used to deliver to the RMC Plant at Brunswick, We used to have a bit chat about his Scammell & my Foden, RIP Jimmy, Regards Larry.

sad news indeed, his knowledge of old northeast road transport and Albion lorry’s was second to none RIP jimmy,

Sad news indeed so sorry to here of this condolences to Iain & family Jim was a fountain of knowledge a true gent always great to speak to him at any of the do /events he was at will be sadly missed ■■■

Ang

Jim was laid to rest today. A great turnout for a very knowledgeable and passionate motor man.
He will be missing from the Tyne Tees Run, Sunday 3rd June for the first time since its inception over 30 years ago. R.I.P. Jim.

kevmac47:
Jim was laid to rest today. A great turnout for a very knowledgeable and passionate motor man.
He will be missing from the Tyne Tees Run, Sunday 3rd June for the first time since its inception over 30 years ago. R.I.P. Jim.

Aye Kev, It was a great turn out for old Jim, His old Albion looked the biz, Of course it was his pride & joy RIP.Jim, Gone but never to be forgotten, Regards Larry.

A big thank you to the people who attended my dads funeral on Thursday. A total of £470.00 was raised for tiny lives, the charity that provides support for the special care baby unit at the RVI hospital in Newcastle.
Here are some photos of his lifetime in transport. The last two are of his final journey on his beloved Albion which he got new in 1950.

DSC_0268.JPG

£470 is a fantastic result Iain, it’s going to a good cause that was very close to your Dads heart.
That’s a good shot of Jim in his school cap, :smiley: :smiley: I look forward to lots more interesting pics when you feel able to share them. Ps. The Aviation tanker looks impressive. Regards Kev.