Cola cowboys v Juggernaught

Just wandering what other tnuk members think of these two books on middle east driving, read cola cowboys and am half way thru juggernaught i think juggernaught is a much better read lets hear your views. I have a copy of cola cowboy for sale if anyones intrested juggernaught is a book more about trucking to the middle east as i think cola cowboys is a bit more pollictical if you know what i mean not that i didnt enjoy reading it are there any other good books on trucking?

RS005D1136:
are there any other good books on trucking?

I think theres one that mentions Coffee a lot , now what was it called again ? :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

theres tha book about a bloke going to russia in a sedd ack, thats a good read, i can never remember what it’s called tho!

i just read truckers north, truckers south. about the 50’s, i liked it, but it does peter out towards the end, and theres some fornicationaryshagging talk in it from time to time that wernt to my taste, but some might like that best of all! :laughing:

Ah yes i have asked santa for that one :slight_smile:

Mal:
theres tha book about a bloke going to russia in a sedd ack, thats a good read, i can never remember what it’s called tho!

the book is “a thousand miles from nowhere” by graham coster, was one of fransens sedaks, can’t remember the drivers name (tony somebody?) but met him years back

thought cola cowboys was fairly crap really, juggernaut is much better - hell it’s even about proper (read northern) drivers rather than 01ers :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

thats the kiddie jj graham coster, i really got into that book, but once he was over in the us i didnt enjoy it so much, perhaps it was the lack of sedd ack’s! :laughing: :laughing: .

RS005D1136:
…I have a copy of cola cowboy for sale if anyones intrested …?

Have you seen the price of what some copies of these have been going for on E-Bay? :open_mouth:

Loads!!!..silly money.

Yeh Bullitt i have seen the prices supprised no one has enquired about my copy its been on the for sale or swap forum some time now have said that i wouldn’t mind swapping it for other trucking books i have never used Ebay so have not put it on there

Juggernaut (or Danger - Heavy Goods as it was titled for the USA) is a far, far better read, and I’m not just saying that because I know one of the chief protagonists in the story (Steve Walsh).

It was much better written and holds the story far better. Having copies of both titles and having read both, I cannot understand why Cola Cowboys goes for so much.

Get on the abebooks search site and order a copy of Danger - Heavy Goods. The USA version contains photographs that are not in Juggernaut, and it’s very cheap by comparison. I have bought three copies from booksellers in the States and two of them were first edition review copies which still had the publishers review ratings cards in them. All three cost less than any that were on sale over here (including the shipping).

I actually got one copy for Steve Walsh (who featured heavily in the story) and he had never seen the pictures that were in it. It certainly got his approval, and I don’t suppose you can get a better review than that.

Marky, i bet that book takes some finding, ive tried the isbn number search, google, abebooks ect, it’s all unavailable except barnes & noble usa, $125! i do not ■■■■■■■ co-co M8! :wink:

Blimey Mal, I had a look myself earlier and it would seem that they are very thin on the ground at the moment.

It would seem that word of mouth has had an effect as there were numerous copies available not so long ago.

You’re right about the $125 - that really is a silly asking price. I think the most I paid for mine was $18 plus the shipping from Boston, MA.

As an aside, Cola Cowboys is available from $180.57 right up to $680.72, which is for a copy of the same edition I got for $31.00 plus shipping. It would take a very determined collector to pay that much.

i wish theyd just print another few thousand copies mark, that would stop the softness! i’d like to read that book, but it’s bizzarely out of reach!

And you can bet that the first thing the publishers would say (if asked to do a re-print) is “there isn’t enough demand to merit the cost of printing”.

Publishers always say it…

i can believe they would say that, but at the prices they fetch 2nd hand, that could be easy proved to be cobblers!