Raisby quarry

Hello drives just wounderd if any one worked there or had any old picks my old man worked there and just wounderd if I could sourc him some pics many thank girls and guys :smiley:

Sorry can’t help with photos but I have attached a letter from Raisby looking for transport.
Cheers Tyneside

Great stuff cheers

tyneside:
Sorry can’t help with photos but I have attached a letter from Raisby looking for transport.
Cheers Tyneside[/quote

Hi Tyneside, Just wondering if you have rough idea of the date of this? Did your wagon’s lead out of there at any time?

Regards, Paulycats.

Wel thl is a blast from the past, In 1984 we were running sand down to Sedgefield from Tilcons at Their Blaydon Quarry, The fellow in the weighbridge was Bob Balmer He was a great bloke and worked with you as to keep you going with loads, I said to him one day when doing this Sedgefield job that Raisbey Quarry were looking for tipper firms, To work for them So I said would he mind if I rang them when I was In their Area & get a load back up to Newcastle, His words were Larry just do it, I remember tipping at Coxhoe along with A owner driver Young Jossie Lee, We loaded stone for a site at Cramlington, The rate was decent enough to go for seconds Plus they paid on the dot,It was a on going job when Raisbey was busy, Happy long gone Money making days, I could do it all again if I could in my old age., Regards Larry.

Wel thl is a blast from the past, In 1984 we were running sand down to Sedgefield from Tilcons at Their Blaydon Quarry, The fellow in the weighbridge was Bob Balmer He was a great bloke and worked with you as to keep you going with loads, I said to him one day when doing this Sedgefield job that Raisbey Quarry were looking for tipper firms, To work for them So I said would he mind if I rang them when I was In their Area & get a load back up to Newcastle, His words were Larry just do it, I remember tipping at Coxhoe along with A owner driver Young Jossie Lee, We loaded stone for a site at Cramlington, The rate was decent enough to go for seconds Plus they paid on the dot,It was a on going job when Raisbey was busy, Happy long gone Money making days, I could do it all again if I could in my old age., Regards Larry.

Sorry double post Hic Hic. Regards Larry.

My old man ran out of there in the early to mid 90s he had a old red Bedford 6 wheel tipper I’m trying to find a pic :unamused: but when you want sumit you can never find it lol

Hi Paulycats

Thought I would reply before Larry has the chance to hit the hard stuff again.

That rates list was probably from the mid seventies. We would only work very occaisonally out of Raisby when there was nothing else locally as there was a lot of empty mileage.
Most of our quarry work was out of Springwell. The quarry was originally owned by Alan Harrison but was bought by Raisby (Ropner family) somewhere around the mid sixties and was run totally separately from Raisby having its own management etc. and trading as Natural Stone Quarries.
Springwell was sandstone as opposed to Raisby’s limestone and a lot of dressed stone was produced and supplied to the building trade, especially in Scotland, in the form of stone sills, quoins, fire places etc.
Several large buildings in Glasgow and Edinburgh are faced with Springwell stone. There was about 30 masons employed on the line at the top of the quarry.
Grindstones, sometimes 7/8 feet in diameter were also made and supplied to the engineering industry, I once took a load of Grindstones down to Fyffe dock at Swansea, they were headed to the Bahamas.
The raw stone blocks were also much in demand for the stone masons in Scotland. We used to take 2/3 loads a week to Thaw & Campbell in Glasgow.
We would often have 10/15 tippers daily leading the crushed stone. Most of the Western Bypass sits on Springwell stone. I was riding shotgun when the very first load of stone was tipped at the end of the Team Valley, we returned with second load about an hour later to find the original had sunk without trace. The whole area is a bog.
Other big jobs supplied out of Springwell I can recall were sections of the Coast and Spine roads, Washington Highway and the Sewage treatment plant at Howden.
In 1976 most of the stone was exhausted and the crusher was closed down. The dressed stone line continued for some time after that but then the stone ran out altogether and the whole place closed. Some very skilled men lost their jobs at that point.
Thompsons of Prudhoe then obtained the tipping rights and are still tipping there.
Cheers Tyneside

Dotty D:
My old man ran out of there in the early to mid 90s he had a old red Bedford 6 wheel tipper I’m trying to find a pic :unamused: but when you want sumit you can never find it lol

I know us North East lads would love it if you could find a photo mate :smiley: Can you give any more info on the Bedford?
Paulycats.

tyneside:
Hi Paulycats

That rates list was probably from the mid seventies. We would only work very occaisonally out of Raisby when there was nothing else locally as there was a lot of empty mileage.
Most of our quarry work was out of Springwell. The quarry was originally owned by Alan Harrison but was bought by Raisby (Ropner family) somewhere around the mid sixties and was run totally separately from Raisby having its own management etc. and trading as Natural Stone Quarries.
Springwell was sandstone as opposed to Raisby’s limestone and a lot of dressed stone was produced and supplied to the building trade, especially in Scotland, in the form of stone sills, quoins, fire places etc.
Several large buildings in Glasgow and Edinburgh are faced with Springwell stone. There was about 30 masons employed on the line at the top of the quarry.
Grindstones, sometimes 7/8 feet in diameter were also made and supplied to the engineering industry, I once took a load of Grindstones down to Fyffe dock at Swansea, they were headed to the Bahamas.
The raw stone blocks were also much in demand for the stone masons in Scotland. We used to take 2/3 loads a week to Thaw & Campbell in Glasgow.
We would often have 10/15 tippers daily leading the crushed stone. Most of the Western Bypass sits on Springwell stone. I was riding shotgun when the very first load of stone was tipped at the end of the Team Valley, we returned with second load about an hour later to find the original had sunk without trace. The whole area is a bog.
Other big jobs supplied out of Springwell I can recall were sections of the Coast and Spine roads, Washington Highway and the Sewage treatment plant at Howden.
In 1976 most of the stone was exhausted and the crusher was closed down. The dressed stone line continued for some time after that but then the stone ran out altogether and the whole place closed. Some very skilled men lost their jobs at that point.
Thompsons of Prudhoe then obtained the tipping rights and are still tipping there.
Cheers Tyneside

Some really good info/history there Tyneside. I know we led Hawthorn limestone up to Cramlington.I like the reference to Team Valley :smiley: I suppose as long as you were tipped before it “disappeared” then all’s well :laughing: :laughing:

Just as a footnote, your information on the Buffalo L12’s is excellent too, IMO :smiley:

That’s the front of my old mans truck off my last post :smiley:

paulycats:

tyneside:
Hi Paulycats

Cheers Tyneside

Some really good info/history there Tyneside. I know we led Hawthorn limestone up to Cramlington.I like the reference to Team Valley :smiley: I suppose as long as you were tipped before it “disappeared” then all’s well :laughing: :laughing:

Just as a footnote, your information on the Buffalo L12’s is excellent too, IMO :smiley:

Hi Paulycats
Remaining on the subject of the Western Bypass, a few useless facts :-
The flyover at the Team Valley could not be built for at least ten years after the road opened to allow the land to settle. The River Team runs directly under the roundabout and flyover.
During the construction of the Lobley Hill junction an uncharted pit shaft was discovered, six of our six wheelers were running 12 hours a day for three days with stone from Springwell to get it sealed. Started on a Friday morning and finished on the Sunday teatime.

One of our four wheeler Albions got stuck in the soft at the edge of the burn near the Swalwell junction. Before we could get it out the tidal ebb on the Derwent flooded the area and the waggon was submerged up to the bottom of the windscreen.

The road was never designed to be the A1, it was only meant to be a local diversion to take through traffic out of the TVTE, Whickham, Dunston etc. The Department of Transport still prefer to build a new road from the TVTE, around the edge of the Ravensworth Estate and Whickham. then down Swalwell Bank to join up with the Blaydon Bridge

Cheers Tyneside

037.JPGFound this.

052 (2).JPG& this.

Hi Paul, Great shots of the Fodens, IIRC The owner driver is still operating, Thanks for posting these Fodens, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi Paul, Great shots of the Fodens, IIRC The owner driver is still operating, Thanks for posting these Fodens, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry,came across them on the net.
Are you going to Jack’s Hill cafe this year?

paul motyka:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Paul, Im not able to get to this event owing to my good lady still having walking problems,Hope you and yours are keeping well, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

paul motyka:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Paul, Im not able to get to this event owing to my good lady still having walking problems,Hope you and yours are keeping well, Regards Larry.

Sorry to hear that Larry,we are both well thanks.I will take some pics & post them on here,hope too see a few different lorries this year.Regards Paul.