MY driving and work history from 1980

Well that went well didn’t it.So i am out of work partly my own fault, what i should have done is just left and said nothing then get re -employed but who would have thought that a man would let his ego get the better of him because me a driver dared to in his eyes undermined him.

Once i arrived home and gave the news to my wife it was time for me to hit the phones and try to get employment ,but where to go where you know is best and that is what i did i took a deep breath and rang Pulleyns, and took a chance i had two choices yes or no .

Once i got through i asked to speak to Adrian he was not around so Bob Nedomer came on the phone ,so i told him what had happened at ACH, he understood, and said ring back at 3 o’clock
I rang at 3 0,clock and spoke to him again ,he had been in touch with ADRIAN and the answer was yes ok, but you must do whatever work you are given, an no zbing about ! typical Adrian you knew exactly where you stood with him and the company, so i excepted that and was told to go down ready to start work FRIDAY, it was a bank holiday just what i did not need as i want to be home for a change ,hey ho, that was the way it goes .
I arrived Thursday there are always men around,also a yard Forman who lived on site with his wife

Once you get to know men,some have their own agendas and Barry certainly did, he wanted to get in the office and run transport I think he had his own truck.from Cirencester way,but iwill state Barry was all ok with me and I with him he would work all hours god sent in that yard ,loading up trailers all kinds of silly hours to get the job done.
He ended up being master of the large proper trailer and truck wash in the yard there was a lot of workings as it recycled all the water used, how god only knows to complicated for me however barry had got it sorted.

Once i had picked the truck keys up from the key locker
Some of the lads who were around were
very surprised to see me back there
Lots of banter going on ,the unit i was given was a Daf 95 twin steer ,any way it was weeks old ,in fact all the units and trailers were all kept in tip top condition the in side was immaculate they alllways looked new ,the blue all over colour was eye catching
I got all my gear stowed away made my bed up on the lower bunk i always used sheets then a good quilt, clothes put away on the top bunk and all my other bits telly ,video, food in the side lockers,gas bottlepots and pans it was amazing how much gear we used to have , or iused tov have it was for 3 weeks +?

I was to see the traffic manager in the morning ,then get my tacograph cards ,then my £1000 float in travellers cheques .i hoped to get away for the weekend ,if you were week -ended in the yard ,you only got UK night out money that was fair if you were away from the yard and loading a export load you would get European night out that was more cash

The office meeting with the traffic manager went ok,i could tell he did not like me being back he gave me my load details ,CMR, paper work for the truck, agency cards no permits needed ,and the verbal instructions, and a unsealed large envelope with a lot of permits and [export licences] for different meats

The trailer was already loaded and in the yard,
I had to go Ostend airport ,it is only a fright airport and the parking is outside the airport just like a lorry park his verbale instructions were to park outside the airport entrance and wait until someone will come to you ,that was it, and i repeated it. Unload at the fright firm Swiss Air .When I was empty go to Holland, address given and load Monday morning,then ship back to Dover The office will be shut until Tuesday morning owing to the holiday any problems ring Barry as he will be on duty.

And that was clear enough for me i pick the loaded trailer up from the yard and check it out ,diesel tyres door seals .put on from the loading point once hitched up i make my way down to Dover and ship out on the next zeebruge ferry after taking the truck into the customs parking so they can check the seals on the doors,once that was done i qued up for the ferry and i did not wait for long,i liked the zeebruge crossing as you got to have a sleep if you needed it or not nice to have a rest .allthough at that time i did not need it .

Once the ferry was docked and you waited for the dock workers to come to the ships hold to take the chains off all the trucks that held them down to the deck for if it gets a bit rough ,some of the drivers never learn and start their engines up straight away to buld the air pressures up so as the brakes will work proply before the main bow doors are fully open so we can all to drive out off “,the place is filling up with diesel fumes “