Gardner Books

Does anybody know of a good book about the history of the Gardner engine? Im after a comprehensive book witha ll the details. Ive searched abebooks and looked in google, but I cant find one. Also, it’s good if somebody can reccommend a book, as money is tight right now and dont want to buy no pampletts! :wink:

Mal, I’ve got the one by Graham Edge, very comprehensive and tells the history of Gardner. Link below to the publishers. Think it is only available in h/back though so it could be expensive.

gingerfold.com/transport_archive_series.htm

:smiley: PM winging its way. :wink:

Cheers for the link Col! It is a bit pricey, but theres a lot of pages, and you think it’s a good book? It’s nearly christmas, i might sensd a note to santa saying ditch the kids toys and bring me the book instead! :wink:

I didn’t pay that price for it. :sunglasses: .as I got it at a swapmeet in Falkirk. I thought it was an excellent book, read it in about a week !! Might be worth searching on Ebay for.

It might be Col, though ebay sometimes aint cheap, you need to have a look round with some books! Theres bound to come a copy at a better price from somewhere!

Not directly related to this thread but the other day I spotted a showmans Scammel Crusader which had two Gardners slapped on the back for the power plant towing a couple of trailers, I thought. Have drove that and work on them, :slight_smile:

There is also a book called "Gardners of Patricroft: 1868 - 1968’

It was written by David Whitehead and published for none other than L Gardner and Sons Limited.

It has a silver cover and is available through abebooks.com from the following booksellers:

Bookbarn Ltd, Bristol ($73.03)

Victoria Bookshop, Devon ($73.03)

It’s quite a rare book, but it has some excellent line drawings, early photographic shots and what would’ve been up-to-date information and illustrations in the late sixties.

As has been the case on many occasions, I got my copy for significantly less than the prices shown above, but that was on eBay and there were no other bidders. Although not as substantial as Graham Edge’s book, it does contain stuff not in his book, so it’s more of a timestamp in the history of the company than a complete story.

i never got to drive the old crusader taskman, i fancied one with a v8 detroit in! :wink:

thanks for the info mark! jesus!, 73 dollars, a bit rich for me right now, i will take note of it and look out on ebay ect. so, do you think the g. edge book is a good one?

It is good Mal - if you read every single word the going gets a bit heavy, but thats what you get when the book is so detailed.

Some major effort went into the production of that book and Graham did an excellent job.

thankee mark, i might well treat meself! :slight_smile: