Scammell Crusader (civi) Restoration

Hi Guys

been lurking on here for a few years but don’t post often. Love the forum though. As some of you might know I am part way through the restoration of a 1979 Crusader 4 wheeler. I post regularly on the facebook group but thought I might make a diary on here. Main reason is to try and find some history of the big rusty B’stard. So if anyone can help with JVM 906V’s early days please get in touch.

Here are a few pics.

D&G.JPG

floors finished 2.jpg

Should be an intresting thread to follow “stacked it” .Look forward to seeing how this goes. All the
best with your restoration. There is a thread on here somewere that was all about fleets with green
and red livery’s that might give you some search clues if that’s the original colour scheme ■■

Do you know anything at all about its history ■■

Patrick may be able to help when he sees this as he has a thing about Crusaders ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

I’ve looked through all my old Crusader pics but can find none with this reg. Good luck with the old beast! I look forward to seeing it at Gaydon when it’s ready. Robert

DEANB:
Should be an intresting thread to follow “stacked it” .Look forward to seeing how this goes. All the
best with your restoration. There is a thread on here somewere that was all about fleets with green
and red livery’s that might give you some search clues if that’s the original colour scheme ■■

Patrick may be able to help when he sees this as he has a thing about Crusaders ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

This is what I know. Made at the Guy factory in 1979 but registered first to BEB transport Stockport in 1980.Found nothing on this firm. I think it was originally blue. According to Steve Cook - it might be one of a batch of Day cabs that was converted to a sleeper. The guy I bought it from said it did a few middle east runs but I am not so sure. It has definitely been across the water though as I have stickers in the screen from Spain. The chap I bought it from purchased it from a farm auction in Derby (I think) in 2012 but they never registered it. So I am the third owner on the V5. I bought it in December 2015. That’s it. It has a 290L Rolls and 9 Speed Fuller as well as said sleeper conversion. Which I will have to copy / use to convert the spare cab. I am kind of making one good one from two cabs as some of the green cab has already gone into the yellow.

Thanks guys - working on it regularly at the moment when I get a spare hour or two (evenings and Saturday arvos) so will try to keep the thread live.

Stacked it:

DEANB:

This is what I know. Made at the Guy factory in 1979 but registered first to BEB transport Stockport in 1980.Found nothing on this firm. I think it was originally blue. According to Steve Cook - it might be one of a batch of Day cabs that was converted to a sleeper. The guy I bought it from said it did a few middle east runs but I am not so sure. It has definitely been across the water though as I have stickers in the screen from Spain. The chap I bought it from purchased it from a farm auction in Derby (I think) in 2012 but they never registered it. So I am the third owner on the V5. I bought it in December 2015. That’s it. It has a 290L Rolls and 9 Speed Fuller as well as said sleeper conversion. Which I will have to copy / use to convert the spare cab. I am kind of making one good one from two cabs as some of the green cab has already gone into the yellow.

Thanks guys - working on it regularly at the moment when I get a spare hour or two (evenings and Saturday arvos) so will try to keep the thread live.

Although I’ve got a thing about Scammell and Crusaders in particular (spot on Dean, me old mucker :laughing: ), I’m fairly useless at providing info about the previous life from the old girl I’m afraid… However, there’s a Scammell register on FB or search for it on the web, if they can’t help you, no one can :wink:

Always reckoned the RR engine suited the Crusader better then the Detroit, soundwise for sure and maybe for reliability as well, not too sure about the 'box though, that’s more Robert’s thing :wink:

Best of luck with the restoration mate, I will follow this thread very closely from now on!

Cheers, Patrick

Thanks Fellas.

Liked the Crusader since I was a boy. But they were not current when I grew up in the 80s. Never driven one so looking forward to that.
Basic plan is to get the can done then work on all the other bits. Should be ready to tip the cab on its feet soon and then I will take the green one off and start to cut n shut the sleeper pod on. Not decided on colour yet but there is a photo in one of the ME threads with a tasty looking 4 wheeler spec’d for ME. I moght go down that rout.

Keep you posted.

3136542630_d9a9d38d5b_b (3).jpgThat yellow cab looks like ex RHP bearings. They had 5 crusaders new in 75

Dont know if it’s any help, but a guy posts on an Fb ‘European hauliers past & present’ page - his family owned Bebb Transport.
All the best mate, Keith

That sounds like a top lead. Can you point me a bit more in the right direction?

Cheers

kmills:
Dont know if it’s any help, but a guy posts on an Fb ‘European hauliers past & present’ page - his family owned Bebb Transport.
All the best mate, Keith

Just got in from the pub where I had a pint or two with your old man, bless him: I always enjoy a chat about the old days with him! Robert :slight_smile:

G’Day Robert - yep he did the job from when he was a teenager till he retired, so has a few tales to tell, and went from the ME, Eastern Block, N.Africa and everywhere in between. Shame he gave me dodgy info on the Praills breakdown truck that came up in Paul Gee’s photos a few weeks ago though :smiley:

Stacked it, back to the job in hand -

firstly, are you on Facebook?, if not you will either have to sign up, or ask a friend nicely…

Once you’re on FB - search a page called ‘European Haulers past & present’ - now, note that it is ‘Haulers’ and not Hauliers - I’ve no idea if that is deliberate spelling or - er lorry driver spelling, if you know what I mean. You might have to ‘join’ the page to view the content - but that’s no drama.

Anyway, a while ago - maybe 6 months or so I can’t remember for sure - someone who’s name escapes me posted some pictures of what were (apparently) his Dad’s trucks in the 80’s & 90’s - I remember a Merc or two, maybe a Daf aswell?? - they were pulling tilts and running around Europe, I think there were pics posted at various places in Europe.

The trucks had ‘Bebb’ Haulage or Transport (sorry I can’t remember which) sign written on them. I’ve no idea where they came from, and I apologise if this turns into a wild goose chase, it’s a fairly unusual name though, so worth a look maybe.

My suggestion would be to get onto the FB page, then go back through all the pics - depends how much time you have on your hands I guess, or put a post on that page yourself asking for the person who posted the pics in the first place - if he doesn’t see it himself, maybe someone who knows him will.

Sorry I can’t help anymore than that - but I certainly wish you all the best with the restoration.

Regards, Keith

I am seriously impressed with the sheet metal work you are doing. Unless you have got the drawings or a good pattern to go from that looks one step back from impossible, there is virtually nothing there.

kmills:
Stacked it, back to the job in hand -

firstly, are you on Facebook?, if not you will either have to sign up, or ask a friend nicely…

Once you’re on FB - search a page called ‘European Haulers past & present’ - now, note that it is ‘Haulers’ and not Hauliers - I’ve no idea if that is deliberate spelling or - er lorry driver spelling, if you know what I mean. You might have to ‘join’ the page to view the content - but that’s no drama.

Anyway, a while ago - maybe 6 months or so I can’t remember for sure - someone who’s name escapes me posted some pictures of what were (apparently) his Dad’s trucks in the 80’s & 90’s - I remember a Merc or two, maybe a Daf aswell?? - they were pulling tilts and running around Europe, I think there were pics posted at various places in Europe.

The trucks had ‘Bebb’ Haulage or Transport (sorry I can’t remember which) sign written on them. I’ve no idea where they came from, and I apologise if this turns into a wild goose chase, it’s a fairly unusual name though, so worth a look maybe.

My suggestion would be to get onto the FB page, then go back through all the pics - depends how much time you have on your hands I guess, or put a post on that page yourself asking for the person who posted the pics in the first place - if he doesn’t see it himself, maybe someone who knows him will.

Sorry I can’t help anymore than that - but I certainly wish you all the best with the restoration.

Regards, Keith

Thanks Keith - I’ll give it a shot

cav551:
I am seriously impressed with the sheet metal work you are doing. Unless you have got the drawings or a good pattern to go from that looks one step back from impossible, there is virtually nothing there.

As I posted on the FBook page - its all guess work, careful un-stitching what was there and copying it, lost of measuring, lost of tack welding, lost of F%&k it - its in the wrong place moments and lots and lots of welding.
Bought two flat sheets of 1m x2m steel and both have gone. Also a cheap bender and a lump of girder for an anvil were good investments. Used the doors as my datum points as I think if they fit and the gaps are right then everything else can be built around.

There is a David Bebb Ltd from Broadheath Altrincham Cheshire,listed as road freight transport if that is any help.

David

If (and I cant confirm this- except he did run a crusader with a sleeper cab)this is the correct motor - it was B&B transport Ltd, and yes it did do middle east runs (I was 17-18 at the time) the owner of the company was a guy named Brian Wilson (I think he is still alive) and was a light blue as per GKN’s fleet at the time, he lived in Bredbury, Stockport , he also ran a 4 wheeler Leyland Clysdale out of Bredbury Steel (I was a drivers mate for him on that). Afraid I cant add much more than that. Looking again at the pictures the blue certainly looks correct.

hardyd44:
If (and I cant confirm this- except he did run a crusader with a sleeper cab)this is the correct motor - it was B&B transport Ltd, and yes it did do middle east runs (I was 17-18 at the time) the owner of the company was a guy named Brian Wilson (I think he is still alive) and was a light blue as per GKN’s fleet at the time, he lived in Bredbury, Stockport , he also ran a 4 wheeler Leyland Clysdale out of Bredbury Steel (I was a drivers mate for him on that). Afraid I cant add much more than that. Looking again at the pictures the blue certainly looks correct.

This post has my juices flowing - how to get in contact with Mr Wilson. Anyone have an email they can PM?

I cant confirm if this is the same guy - tried to contact my dad to see if he still has a number for him as they were good friends, his phone is switched off will keep trying though

uship.com/uk/profile/brianwilson/