Peggy Cummins - Hell Drivers' Star

Peggy ■■■■■■■ who starred in Hell Drivers’ as the attractive young lady died a few days ago on 29th December 2017. She was 92 years old. She must have been the last surviving member of that stellar cast of actors.

Peggy ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Hell Drivers.jpg

Can’t think of anymore still around, I think that Jill Ireland was younger than Peggy but she passed away years ago. She was married to the same man for fifty years, 1950-2000, and had two children.

Pete.

Ay up Peter Jill Ireland was married to David Maccullum who played Stanley bakers brother in the film he’s still with us. Then she married Charles Bronson

phop:
Ay up Peter Jill Ireland was married to David Maccullum who played Stanley bakers brother in the film he’s still with us. Then she married Charles Bronson

By gum you are right Paul! Also Sean Connery, I forgot he was in the film. :blush: All the other male stars are gone though, some quite young. Gordon Jackson, Alfie Bass, Sid James, William Hartnell (the first DR Who) Herbert Lom, Pat Mc Gooohan , Stanley Baker and the old lad who trained the drivers!

Pete.

By coincidence I was looking on the IMDB site just the other day at the Hell Drivers cast list and indeed I only noted Sean Connery, Peggy ■■■■■■■ (at the time) and Vera Day (she played a blonde at the dance) were the only ones alive, apart from one or two uncredited actors, Sean Connery is now 87 though and Vera Day was still acting in 2017 at 82. I’d watched the film on Talking Pictures a couple of weeks ago so was curious as to who was still living from a very good cast of old and up and coming actors. Wilfred Lawson was the name of the gravel voiced mechanic. Great classic film.

Oh by the way David McCallum is 84 he’s still appearing in the US programme NCIS, it was said Charles Bronson came between him and Jill Ireland after him and Bronson appeared in the Great Escape together and he introduced Ireland to him at the time. Oh well that’s show biz!

I bet Illya Kuryakin outlasts 007, just as Napoleon Solo was last man standing from the Magnificent 7.

You don’t expect me to talk, do you Goldfinger?

No Mr Bond, I expect you to die.

The only thing that worries me is being old enough to see it when it was released . A generation of actors and actresses who went on to be the best of the best . Connery steals every film he’s in , he has a presence that speaks for him , gets better with age . Dave

What is in the tuppenny slot machine in the picture, ■■■ papers? or supplies for the ladies of the night?

cav551:
What is in the tuppenny slot machine in the picture, ■■■ papers? or supplies for the ladies of the night?

Could be for chewing gum - I think I can remember them in cafes etc.

I don’t think the price on the slot machine is 2d, more likely to be 2/? (two shillings and some pence), the bottom of the ■■■■■ is just visible in an enlargement. Most products were prominently advertised on the vending machines, Beech Nut and Wrigley’s Spearmint come to mind amongst the chewing gum names, so this one could indeed be for “buy me and stop one”, but those machines were usually to be found in the toilets!

Remember this Patrick McGoohan’s truck in the film -No1.

You would think the Foreman driver would have a new headlight fitted! :smiley:

Frankydobo:
You would think the Foreman driver would have a new headlight fitted! :smiley:

No need - just put the fleet number on a different wagon! Continuity was terrible in this film, some of the wagons had up to five different fleet numbers at different times throughout the film, which kind of spoiled the moment when Red, just before he goes over the quarry edge, flips the key fob over and realises that the plates have been switched, and he’s in the truck he fixed for Tom to crash. Even so, it’s still an enjoyable film that had a great cast of then-current and future stars.

It had to have Peggy ■■■■■■■ in it but where was Ava Gardner and Polly Perkins?