Any older Cummins mechanics here?

I have acquired a set of model 20 Jake brake housings to fit onto a 220.
Apart from needing to find all of the engine adaption parts such as cross heads and injector screws; the housings have the extra slave piston to hold the injector down at zero fuel. Does anyone know if these will work okay with the pt fuel system?
I have two parts books, on suggests the extra piston is standard, the other that it is needed for the cd and dd fuel system that preceded the pt.

Any help with parts or knowledge appreciated!

Doug fry is your man ,if I can find his number I will pm it to you ,you will need the model numbers .

If Doug Fry can’t help then Steve McMaster of Preston.

Punchy Dan:
Doug fry is your man ,if I can find his number I will pm it to you ,you will need the model numbers .

Thanks

gingerfold:
If Doug Fry can’t help then Steve McMaster of Preston.

Thanks do you have a number please?

Try Ronhawk from the TransArabia Thread he is a ■■■■■■■ man from way back and Jake brake too !!! try a PM or email
Cheers and good luck … 220 great motor !!

backsplice:
Try Ronhawk from the TransArabia Thread he is a ■■■■■■■ man from way back and Jake brake too !!! try a PM or email
Cheers and good luck … 220 great motor !!

Thanks!

Get on the justoldtrucks forum. Its a US forum and they will know those old engines like the back of their hand.

Pursy

pursy:
Get on the justoldtrucks forum. Its a US forum and they will know those old engines like the back of their hand.

Pursy

Thanks for the suggestion…
Been there, they can’t help with answers and I have a couple of guys looking for parts for me…

I’ve just sorted one head out for my m8 it’s a 401a with the wider cross heads ,hollow grub screws and hex head adjusters .wouldnt fit my 320 but looks like it’ll fit a 290 .

FodenS80:
Apart from needing to find all of the engine adaption parts such as cross heads and injector screws; the housings have the extra slave piston to hold the injector down at zero fuel. Does anyone know if these will work okay with the pt fuel system?
I have two parts books, on suggests the extra piston is standard, the other that it is needed for the cd and dd fuel system that preceded the pt.

If you ring ■■■■■■■ on 0800 ■■■■■■■ ( spelt on the key pad ) give them your engine number and the jake model they will tell you if they’ll fit and what bits are needed ,they did for me and faxed me a exploded diagram.

Punchy Dan:

FodenS80:

If you ring ■■■■■■■ on 0800 ■■■■■■■ ( spelt on the key pad ) give them your engine number and the jake model they will tell you if they’ll fit and what bits are needed ,they did for me and faxed me a exploded diagram.

I have the correct brakes, but they have an extra piston. The two parts books I have give conflicting information. Just looking for someone who has been there and done it.

Hello all,after about 5 years as a viewer ive plucked up the courage and joined.Concerning the jakes they dont sound any different to regular jakes.The “extra” piston is the sensing piston to determine the firing stroke and thus hold the exhaust valve open.
Very easy to set up as im sure you,ll know.Barring tool on auxhillary drive.Note marks on auxhillary drive pulley.

A=cylinder 1 or 6

B=cylinder 2 or 5

C=cylinder 3 or 4

Say for instance your working on B the inlet valve will be open on either 2 or 5 but not at the same time respectively,set the valves and injector on cylinder with valves closed.
14 thou inlet,27 thou exhaust,70 lbs in injector preload.(obc) Set the jake fork at the same time.I think, but dont quote me 12 thou or set the clearance running.Probably best way.

Hope this helps.

railstaff:
Hello all,after about 5 years as a viewer ive plucked up the courage and joined.Concerning the jakes they dont sound any different to regular jakes.The “extra” piston is the sensing piston to determine the firing stroke and thus hold the exhaust valve open.
Very easy to set up as im sure you,ll know.Barring tool on auxhillary drive.Note marks on auxhillary drive pulley.

A=cylinder 1 or 6

B=cylinder 2 or 5

C=cylinder 3 or 4

Say for instance your working on B the inlet valve will be open on either 2 or 5 but not at the same time respectively,set the valves and injector on cylinder with valves closed.
14 thou inlet,27 thou exhaust,70 lbs in injector preload.(obc) Set the jake fork at the same time.I think, but dont quote me 12 thou or set the clearance running.Probably best way.

Hope this helps.

That’s the best first post in a long time . :wink:

Thanks very much!

Here are some photos showing the extra fork that should hold the injector down to prevent fuelling. You can also see that the control valve for it fitted with a spacer to keep it shut, whereas the other control valve has a spring, this one is for the exhaust valve clave piston.

Is it an NH 743?

That extra fork is there to determine the firing stroke via injector position and thus open the exhaust valve on the firing stroke.On the fuel pump there should be a micro switch which is activated when the throttle is on idle.The fuel shut off should be powered through a 5 pin relay.When the jake is enabled via a simple switch the micro switch on the pump when on idle becomes active and takes the power away from the relay and the fuel shut off cuts out and cuts the fuel pressure.The pedal on the floor controls the Jake solinoids through a 3 position switch.2 Jakes or 3 Jakes depending on retardation required.Admittedley they are different to the 855 model 425,s in looks.

Punchy Dan:

railstaff:

A=cylinder 1 or 6

B=cylinder 2 or 5

C=cylinder 3 or 4

Hope this helps.

That’s the best first post in a long time . :wink:

+1

railstaff:
Is it an NH 743?

Yes but I will be fitting them to an engine with PT fuel system, if I can find all of the engine attaching parts including crossheads etc…