Leyland Marathon...The "Nearly" Truck of The 1970s?

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
Commercial motor magazine.

Click on page twice.

Very interesting little piece! It cannot be emphasised enough the extent to which Fuller gearbox installation varied among manufacturers, and the consequent extent to which performance and driving experience varied. MAN, ERF and Ford could do it, so why couldn’t Seddon-Atkinson, DAF and Leyland do it? This discrepency continued after the Eaton-Fullers and into the period of the Eaton Twin-splitter: the difference between an Iveco installation and a SA one was so wide as lead a driver to believe they were entirely different gearboxes! :open_mouth: Robert

Indeed Robert, i wasn’t that impressed by the ETS until i drove an F90 MAN so fitted for a number of years, with the MAN’s free revving engine and the rapidity with which revs dropped when you lifted off throttle, i suggest it was the best ETS installation of all.
Plus where i worked at the time the in house workshops kept the gearbox/clutch brakes adjusted regularly and working well, so when needed you could have lightning quick shifts by hitting the button at the bottom of the full press of the clutch pedal.

Which allegedly :wink: would enable an F90 tractor solo to out accelerate a fiends Cortina Savage if the button was used.