Super single tyres

What was the reason for fitting them on tandem axle fuel tankers, long before they became the norm on trailers when the weight limit was increased to 38t on a tri axle?. When I was tyre fitting in the late 70s,i used to dread a call out to a fuel tanker until we used to have a built up wheel in the yard with a cross ply ss fitted ,the radials were a piece of cake to fit compared to them.
Was it stability. less risk of fire or damage. due to no lock rings/flanges flying off in the event of a puncture or blowout ?

I thought that it was purely a weight saving matter?

Pete.

That did cross my mind but wouldn’t bulk tippers have used them more back in them days, if it was a payload issue ?

Weight saving was one reason, another theory was that drum brakes cooled quicker with one wheel and tyre instead of two, and in the event of an accident and ruptured tank there would be less chance of fire. I not aware of that theory ever being proven in practice. In the 1990s we had a few sugar tanks with step frame chassis for lower height and improved tipping stability, they than on three axles with small twin wheels and tyres and their brakes ran very hot because the lower chassis height reduced the air flow around the brake drums. At Spillers in the '80s we had a few tandem axle flour tanks on super singles for weight saving.

Suedehead:
That did cross my mind but wouldn’t bulk tippers have used them more back in them days, if it was a payload issue ?

Mixers used them, partly weight saving and also to prevent stone trapping between twins. A local chap who does lime spreading with a Foden and drawbar trailer still has (or had recently) singles on the rear, maybe for better traction across soft fields?

Pete.

When I saw a tanker, I always noticed that the landing gear had been removed for I assume another weight saving measure.

I recall fitting Super Singles on the ESSO fleet at North Shields near Newcastle in the early 70’s when I worked for a local tyre company, they were quite a job to do being Cross Ply but we still thought it was better than changing four wheels and tyres per axle with the older split ring dishes even though we could do those quite quickly. Unfortunately I can’t remember the reason or reasons ESSO as well as other Petrol Companies chose Singles but no doubt weight saving did have a lot to do with it, I would imagine price could come into it too but the Fuel Industry didn’t really suffer from that too much. Just yesterday I was reading of the Foden S.21 twin steer six wheel tractor introduced at the 1966 CV show that was fitted with tubeless Michelins on the front axles and singles on the rear, intended for 32 Ton operation it must be presumed the chosen tyre layout along with other weight saving items was to achieve as high a payload as possible to make the most of running at the top weight. This unit was also fitted with a Leyland engine and self changing gearbox and intended mainly for tanker use. Petrol Companies were also using Allison Auto boxes in their rigid tankers at this time. Franky.

I thought they were bigger on tandems than on triaxles ,like 425 ■■?

Punchy Dan:
I thought they were bigger on tandems than on triaxles ,like 425 ■■?

Yea they were Dan’l they were supposed to be the equivalent of twin 1000x20 or twin 1100x 22:5’s the tri axles trailers used what was called “mini super singles” 365’s ?, well they were when I ran a few ( hundred!) Cheers Denz’l.

Going back 25/30 yrs we had a tyre bander ,then a home made cheater or what they were called ? , now I just used lighter fuel since seeing on tv in Iceland . :smiley:

Punchy Dan:
Going back 25/30 yrs we had a tyre bander ,then a home made cheater or what they were called ? , now I just used lighter fuel since seeing on tv in Iceland . :smiley:

Cowboys ! :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: and I bet you were standing watching with your nappy hanging round your knees and a lump of ginger cake in your hand ! :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Cowboys ! :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: and I bet you were standing watching with your nappy hanging round your knees and a lump of ginger cake in your hand ! :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I suppose you sealed all your tubeless tyres with hot air Den’z :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :blush: :blush:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

I suppose you sealed all your tubeless tyres with hot air Den’z :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :blush: :blush:

Aye Dan’l me and my tyre fitter were full of it Mate ! :sunglasses: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

I’ve got every tyre leaver made ,going back generations ,I should open a museum , you could rent a space of me :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

I’ve got every tyre leaver made ,going back generations ,I should open a museum , you could rent a space of me :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Being serious for a moment Dan’l we did have a cage where you could roll a 1000x20 wheel into so the locking ring could be knocked on safely, but unfortunately our tyre fitter was loath to use it so he just “tapped away” with a hammer with the wheel laid on the floor of the tyre bay ! same as the fitters only jacking up a cab half way when doing a quick job " So the ■■■■■■■ driver wouldn’t have to take his tele etc off the bunk so it wouldn’t come through the windscreen ! I used to go ■■■■■■■ mad if I caught them !! ■■■■■■■ M. A. D. !! Cheers Denz’l.

So it was a weight saving thing then ?

Thankfully the only split rims I have now are on my digger ,I sold the last set of 1000 by 20s for £80 in the summer and bought 6 10 225 michelins on Michelin rims all as new xzy pattern .

Punchy Dan:
Thankfully the only split rims I have now are on my digger ,I sold the last set of 1000 by 20s for £80 in the summer and bought 6 10 225 michelins on Michelin rims all as new xzy pattern .

Aye Dan’l I started in the era when tubeless tyres were just coming in and it didn’t take me long to realise that a two piece wheel was far better ( and lighter) than a six piece set up! also four single leaf springs were far better than 7 or 8 leaf multi leaves x 4 on a tandem trailer ! Cheers Denz’l

Bewick:
Aye Dan’l I started in the era when pneumatic tyres were just coming in and it didn’t take me long to realise that a two piece wheel was far better ( and lighter) than a six piece set up! also four single leaf springs were far better than 7 or 8 leaf multi leaves x 4 on a tandem trailer ! Cheers Denz’l

Fixed that for you Dennis! :laughing:

scan0187.jpg