The working week of a Trailer Mate in the 60's

ODD LOADS ! One load I vividly recall was ex BCL Bridgewater to Immingham Dock. We tipped in The Abbey one Monday morning and when Eric rung into Barrow ( as we always did) to our surprise we were told to get over to BCL at Bridgewater “smartish like” to load for Immingham Dock ! It was the first time we had been over the newly opened Severn Bridge( and the last!) Anyhow we rolled into BCL early afternoon to be told we were loading 28 ton, yes 28ton, for Immingham, I kid you not as this load should have gone onto two artics but they were busy and Brady’s handled all the BCL traffic from both Barrow and Bridgewater and Jack Brady never let a Customer down ! ( and his philosophy rubbed off on me in later years !) . Anyway we get loaded in Bridgewater and parked up at the regular digs that Brady Drivers used, Woods at North Petherton. So we kicked off handy next morning and it was a right grueller cutting across country in those days just on the old A roads ! We got to Immingham later that afternoon and just managed to get tipped in the shed accompanied by snide comments from the Checker along the lines of “You ■■■■■■■ want locking up putting that weight on!” We digged in Grimsby that night and had a few pints in a drinker frequented by Deep sea Fishermen and IIRC it was when the Icelandic cod wars were on and we heard some “hairy tales” from some of the lads ! ■■■■ that for a game of cowboys we thought at the time ! But I’ve got to say that trip over to Immingham was a real “grind” especially loaded to the “gunnels” the 680 Power Plus certainly earned it’s corn that day ! Cheers Bewick.