Tailgating

Do you think that tailgating is on the increase ? Now I’m an old fogy and I suppose we’ve all done it I’m sure particully when we were younger and see an old fogy like me slowing down to give a bloke some room when he comes from the Bull Island towards the A50 and I’m sure you chaps who use that bit of road is a bit dicey there don’t you think.Everybody thinks they are good drivers because they haven’t had an accident in 100 years driving.I seem to think there seems more of it.Do lorry drivers have to go to uni. nowadays to get a degree or something.( Oh C.P.C. )

Now Pete Windrush I haven’t seen any of these tipper lads do it have you.

I’m going on a bit as usual but I used to see these old fogys parking in Tesco and others and I used to think I hope I’m not going to be like that and we will all get there.

However this is not what I started on about.

Tony

P.S. Another thing they still haven’t filled in the potholes before you get to Angus Mackinnon’s.Car drivers tailgate there.

Tony, I travel up and down the M1/M18/A1 and A1M regularly and it scares me half to death when I see ‘professional drivers’ practically pushing the vehicle in front of them be it car, van or another truck. They haven’t a hope of stopping quickly, they are too close to see the brake lights anyway, so I keep well clear of them if possible. No, I don’t remember any tipper drivers doing it in my time driving trucks and I don’t know the cause really? Cruise control perhaps, but surely it can be knocked off when they must realise they are too close? Anyway it is my pet hate at present until I find something else to rant about!! :laughing:

Pete.

Yes mine to,bloody lethal practice. Also why can’t people keep on their side off the friggin road round corners,you expect a heavy to need a bit of room but some light vehicles seem to need just as much. Yes I know I’m getting old but lazy driving. :confused: Mike.

I had a spell of it in the early days, southbound M1up Crick hill middle lane stuck up tippers bum over the top we go ready for him to move over n go for it. At the bottom just past the blue boar bad bump everything comes to a sharp halt I’d got no chance so into the outside lane came to a stop half way down the length of the tipper in front. Would have killed me for sure, the chap in a sports car along side me had to go up the grass in no mans land he weren’t too happy. It frightened me that bad I could hardly stand up. Never did it again

After being given ‘the finger’ at a road junction by a young woman, where I set off on green on the upright of the T and she almost broadsided me, after setting off when the vehicle next to her moved on a green left turn light, I bought a forward facing camera for about £30.00 which switches itself on and off with the ignition.

An incident the other day with a transit van which was determined to overtake over the top of me made me realise I need a camera facing backwards as well!

My daughter, aged 29, refuses to learn to drive. I don’t blame her!

John.

Well when I first started driving wagons in 1956, Tailgaiting wasnt even heard of in those days, But of course wagons didnt allways have best of brakes anyway, My Mentors allways taught me to leave plenty of space between the vehicle in front, Now bearing in mindthat at lot of old wagons had a top speed of 28/30/32 Mph, & anything over 3 ton unladen was restricted to 20 MPH, The wagon & drag that was trailer mate on was 32 MPH. Plus the brakes were ■■■■■■ The trailer hand brake on the near side of the cab was a Neate Ratchet type of thing to be operated by the second man, & let me tell you we had many white knuckeld rides, Like going over Shap fully loaded heading north, Stop at the bottom engage Crawler gear & hope for the ■■■■■■■ best, Mind you we allways delivered on time, But very tired when we got there, :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: , But if I could turn the clock back I would do it all again, But sadley most of my old work mates have passed away, So I must be one of the lucky ones at 82, Regards Larry.

In this country the rule of the road is drive on the left-hand side of the road. That means return to the left after overtaking. I would hazard that 90% of tail-gating in Britain results from the modern failure to return to the left after overtaking. This does not justify tail-gating which IMHO is dangerous and wrong, but road-hogging is definitely the cause. I would like to see proper public information films about this on telly instead of all the advertising bollix we’re subjected to.

Oh, and while I’m on my high horse; even though the official Highway Code rule of the road is ‘Keep left’; I (and many of my generation of truckers) would argue that the REAL rule of the road is: if you can’t see to go, don’t [zb] go! :wink:

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
In this country the rule of the road is drive on the left-hand side of the road. That means return to the left after overtaking. I would hazard that 90% of tail-gating in Britain results from the modern failure to return to the left after overtaking. This does not justify tail-gating which IMHO is dangerous and wrong, but road-hogging is definitely the cause. I would like to see proper public information films about this on telly instead of all the advertising bollix we’re subjected to.

Oh, and while I’m on my high horse; even though the official Highway Code rule of the road is ‘Keep left’; I (and many of my generation of truckers) would argue that the REAL rule of the road is: if you can’t see to go, don’t [zb] go! :wink:

Robert

Defo a good point, Regards Larry.

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert

Quite right but perhaps lane hogging.My daughter lives in Brighton and sometimes brings me back to Doveridge when visiting in laws etc.She’s one of these private motorists who says lorries shouldn’t be on the road.( She forgot who helped her through uni by selling motors.My Mother in law said the same when I took her on holiday in my co. car) I try and explain why trucks take a while to overtake but she goes deaf.Daren’t say anything as living on my own and she’s a good’ne.So hogging it is.Sorry chaps,I think hogging and tailgating is here to stay don’t you ?

Tony

I’ll tell you what scares the excrement out of me…bus drivers going downhill, double decker, full load. All roads into Dewsbury are steep downhill, how the hell can anybody with even half a brain ACCELERATE a full double decker downhill. In my day, before retarders, brake fade on downhills was always in your mind. It;s obvious to me that these so called bus ‘drivers’ don’t know how to spell brake fade.

A little touch on the brake pedal with the left foot(enough to light up) takes care of tailgaters, they are that bloody close they panic and jump on their brakes :smiling_imp: :laughing:
Oily

oiltreader:
A little touch on the brake pedal with the left foot(enough to light up) takes care of tailgaters, they are that bloody close they panic and jump on their brakes :smiling_imp: :laughing:
Oily

That works

I’d guess that there is an element of rose tinted specs in that regard.While not every load was always perfectly sheeted either. :open_mouth: :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=5sYR4-nqeI0 9.40 - 11.00

oiltreader:
Oily

Well that’s very naughty Oily, go and sit on yon naughty step.
Seriously, tailgaters are best IN FRONT of me, if a driver gets too near and stays there for awhile, just ease up on the throttle, speed will gradually drop 1 mph at a time, he’ll get well p issed of and round you he comes. Job done “off you go my son, pester somebody else”
And it’s legal…no need for brake light and sudden heavy braking.

I had artic tailgating me for miles on th a515 , so when I got to double white lines I slowed down until we came to a standstill . I walked round and opened the tailgate and the driver jumped out shouting what was I playing at . I politely replied that seeing as he’d been trying to get in the back for miles I though I should open the door for him . His face was a picture and he dropped back to a reasonable distance .