Me again - this time looking for 1970s drivers for T&D!

Hi all, it’s “that irritating bird who comes blagging for T&D” again! :blush: :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing:

This time I’m after people who drove wagons on UK work in the 1970s, the more humdrum the job the better! Anyone up for a chat? The lads who did the 1960s “episode” with me will hopefully confirm I don’t bite! :open_mouth: :laughing:

I’d also be grateful for images, as ever…

Thanks guys! L.x.

That should be easy as most of the ‘‘old time’’ people are from the 70s.What are you looking for specifically,UK,Europe,ME or just general.Don’t forget many of the old’uns have moved abroad so talking to them could be prohibitive [but interesting,if perhaps long winded] :slight_smile:

UK, preferably. The idea behind the feature series is to step away from the exciting stuff that already gets loads of coverage - so Europe, ME, etc - and look at bog-standard backyard haulage, things your average driver now can directly compare to his day-to-day working life. Does that make sense?

Of course,we all started locally but remember at that time international was exploding so many guys done a bit of domestic and soon were lured to the more '‘exotic’'work.

That I can well understand, but in the meantime surely someone was keeping Joe Public in baked beans and bog roll? :wink: :grimacing:

A sight from circa 1975 that you would never see in to-days transport world, apart from the fact very few of to-days “steering wheel attendants/curtain pullers” could carry out sheeting and roping never mind run 300 miles and get to the destination with the load still on the trailer ! The shot is of three Bewick artics stood next to the A6 in Milnthorpe loaded with tissue products ( including “bog rolls”)from Bowater Scotts Barrow Mill ready for their night shifts to Daventry where the day men will then run the trailers to the Bowater RDC at West Thurrock, arriving in one piece and delivered dry and damage free !! :wink: A repetitive job that was carried on for about 10 years until the ubiquitous Bo-Alloy Tautliners took over :frowning: Cheers Bewick.

Hum drum Lucy, up at 4am leave 5am coal to London scrap back to Brum/Sheffield back Leicestershire load coal in home for 5pm.Repeat daily till the penny drops, 5yr in my case :unamused:

Bewick - Fabulous stuff! Thankyou! The only problem is we can’t get pictures off here at a high enough resolution for print - they need to be at least 1mb in file size. I don’t suppose you could email them to lucy@truck.net instead please? Sorry, should’ve said that to start with really… :blush:

coomsey - That sounds perfect. Would you be up for a chat by phone please? Not now, don’t panic, sometime this week or early next will be fine. You can send your contact number/s to the email addy above if you fancy it - thankyou! :grimacing:

coomsey:
Hum drum Lucy, up at 4am leave 5am coal to London scrap back to Brum/Sheffield back Leicestershire load coal in home for 5pm.Repeat daily till the penny drops, 5yr in my case :unamused:

Own account works 7.5 tonner D series or Transit.Start at 8 am few deliveries/collections of components anywhere to/from the South Coast or London or East Anglia.Told ‘don’t rush’ and if you don’t make some overtime out of the job before you run back you’ll get moaned at by the other drivers for carving it up.It was like getting paid for a week of day trips out. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

To think that just a while before that I was shut up in the factory all day for less money. :open_mouth:

IMG_1478.JPG

Early '70’s, leave Stoke at 02.00 in an Atki Borderer, with 20 tons bagged salt for Aberdeen docks.
M6 finished at Carlisle, old road all the way to Aberdeen, 12 hours, handball 20 tons salt off, then run back to Glasgow ready to reload next morning, 20 hour day!
Fit as a butchers dog in those days.

revman - They’re perfect, but again I need them by email to lucy@truck.net because the art team can’t get them off here at a high enough resolution (1mb minimum file size). Thanks! :blush:

bestbooties - Spot on - would you be up for a chat by phone? If so, that would give me all three people I need for the feature! :grimacing:

Ps. I did see you there Carryfast, but at risk of being accused of snobbery I need HGV people for this one. Sorry and thanks for offering! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Is this going to be a whole series running up the noughties perchance?

Cheers, Patrick

Lucy:
Ps. I did see you there Carryfast, but at risk of being accused of snobbery I need HGV people for this one. Sorry and thanks for offering! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :wink: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Stop laughing Dennis! :wink: The 1970’s, slightly too early for me as I was still mending them at that time and didn’t get my class 2 until 1976! :blush:

Pete.

windrush:
Stop laughing Dennis! :wink: The 1970’s, slightly too early for me as I was still mending them at that time and didn’t get my class 2 until 1976! :blush:

Pete.

Aye Pete you can’t keep a “good man down” alternatively have you ever known “The Great Leatherhead Keyboard Warrior” to keep his nose out of something he hasn’t got a clue about ! :open_mouth: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

windrush:

Pete.

Aye Pete you can’t keep a “good man down” alternatively have you ever known “The Great Leatherhead Keyboard Warrior” to keep his nose out of something he hasn’t got a clue about ! :open_mouth: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Love it!!! Just one lady puts him straight in five seconds flat! To quote Dennis, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

Lucy:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :wink: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Blimey I’m not offended more like glad I wasn’t doing that bestbooties’ type of job :open_mouth: or had to start out as driver’s assistant. :smiling_imp: :wink: :laughing: