Log books

I’m just in the middle of moving house when I came across these 2 log books
I can remember the driver
George “■■■ Bear” Pearson I’m too young to have used log books but I can remember my dad and uncles using them
My apologies for the quality of the photos unfortunately I haven’t a computer

That’s a blast from the past!!
Log SHEETS was even better, mate’s job to fill them out in the dig’s.!!

Turned them round, hope you don’t mind.

4743565e4eb70dbdd52db8da9acdc1bd.jpg

92a73c1c4f4ffdb4e6a862345d38d987.jpg

Regards. John.
p.s. click to enlarge image.

WELL i never thought i would see any of them again[log sheets]middle 1970s …if you see the symbols on the side they are a precursor to the tachographs what was coming in ,many a lie told on them sheets the only worry was if you had been “silent checked” by any ministry person, i do knot know of any driver who actually come in to contact with the alleged ministry person.

For the drivers who have no idea what i am talking about ie
,as most people used to fiddle their log books to suit their selfs like saying they were not driving when they were, you did it by the lines you drew on the sheets…if you put you were in bed, you would or could be away up the road ,and that is when you could get caught by a [SILENT CHECK] LIKE GETTING HOME AT NIGHT BUT PUT DRIVING DOWN THE NEXT DAY ON YOUR LOG SHEET ,
who knew ,the ministry of transport had all over the country COVERT people at different places [you did not know where] and all they would do is note down lorry numbers and the time…then maybe a month later a person from the ministry would go to the traffic office of the lorry ,with the noted lorry number plate and ask for the log book ,or sheets to see if they corresponded if not you had some explaining to do or if it was a regular occurrence [the boss was in on it] there would have been a office fire etc or the driver would take the blame and the boss would pay the fine, however to many times and the boss could and would have a lorry licence taken away for a time also it brought in to play the ministry roadworthiness plates …so then you can see how the fiddling adjusted ,to fiddle the tachograph they thought was fool -proof…thats HOT -WIRE ,MAGNETS ,FUSES, OR JUST CHUCK THE CARD OUT AND START AGAIN …PDB.

I sometimes wonder how many lies were written on these old log books, :wink: :wink: :wink: Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I sometimes wonder how many lies were written on these old log books, :wink: :wink: :wink: Regards Larry.0

How many lies loads of em when I first drove out of Cornwall most of us were running on two books each at least and the coppers on Bodmin Moor had nothing better than to harass you when all you were doing was a day and a halfs work in one day, those days best forgotten but we wuzz young and truck mad back then, Buzzer.

Buzzer:

Lawrence Dunbar:
I sometimes wonder how many lies were written on these old log books, :wink: :wink: :wink: Regards Larry.0

How many lies loads of em when I first drove out of Cornwall most of us were running on two books each at least and the coppers on Bodmin Moor had nothing better than to harass you when all you were doing was a day and a halfs work in one day, those days best forgotten but we wuzz young and truck mad back then, Buzzer.

Very true Buzzer, I used to wear different caps & reversible jackets when I was hauling fish from North Shields up to Frazerbrough, There & back in a shift, I was lucky not to get caught But I have had a few worrying moments when I was pulled in, But my old Foden artic tipper was allways in good order, Very clean & allways well maintained, Which I suppose impressed the Police & the log sheet men up to a point, There was good money to earned in those good old days, And as the old saying goes make hay while the sunshines which I did just like lots of other hauliers at that time, :wink: :wink: :wink: Regards Larry.

I only used a log book for recovery work and I reckon it is probably still sitting on the shelf in the bottom garage at Ballidon quarry from when I last used it around the early eighties! It was a Godsend when tachos became law, no more fiddling of hours and proper breaks had to be taken no matter what the gaffers said, win win for the driver at last. :smiley:

Pete.

A blast from the past! I got pulled once by the Ministry when they used to have a check point just outside Brighton on the A23. This was very early 80`s. Although I had just started driving, I had already cottoned on to the “flexibility” allowed with these log books by not joining or connecting the horizontal lines so as to show your change of mode. Of course, Mr Ministry man saw it straight away and pointed out the error of my ways in a very stern manner!! :laughing: As I was 19 / 20 years old at the time, I just pleaded ignorance and inexperience which, surprisingly, worked!!

And then came tachos!! :cry: :frowning: :frowning:

I used them on the council during the 1980’s and it’s confirmed what I thought I’d remembered.That they never had a cross hammers symbol for other work only the square with the line through it which I was always told to use just the same in the case of tachos.While now drivers are told to use cross hammers for other work and the square with the line through to record the new fangled idea of POA.

And don’t forget the best bit about them. Your guarantee of a lift home. Nobody passed a man waving one at you. Would it work with a tacho disc or a digi card?

Here is my log sheet for this morning. Pretty similar to the old UK ones. They are coming to a halt here in North America at the end of 2017. Although I have the option to carry on with them as the truck was made before 2000.

coomsey:
And don’t forget the best bit about them. Your guarantee of a lift home. Nobody passed a man waving one at you. Would it work with a tacho disc or a digi card?

They were also used to warn other drivers that the Ministry were were just up the road in front of them,thumbs down also meant that the Police were there checking on your speed,it’s amazing the things one forgets after so many years,never thought I would see a Log Book again!!!

David

5thwheel:

coomsey:

They were also used to warn other drivers that the Ministry were were just up the road in front of them,thumbs down also meant that the Police were there checking on your speed,it’s amazing the things one forgets after so many years,never thought I would see a Log Book again!!!

David

For sure David I forgot, I forgot that one

Not a chance ! I’m claiming the 5th amendment ! All I will say is I had a good apprenticeship at Brady’s which put me “right on the button” for when I started as an O/D :wink: :unamused: Cheers Bewick

Well one of the things I can remember when driving at night, Drivers used to flash their interior cab light off & on when there was trouble ahead, The good old days when drivers all worked together & helped eachother not like nowadays, Regards Larry.

Bewick:
Not a chance ! I’m claiming the 5th amendment ! All I will say is I had a good apprenticeship at Brady’s which put me “right on the button” for when I started as an O/D :wink: :unamused: Cheers Bewick

Good for you Dennis, Straight as a Nine Bob Note Eh, Just like me, :wink: :wink: :wink: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Good for you Dennis, Straight as a Nine Bob Note Eh, Just like me, :wink: :wink: :wink: , Regards Larry.

Aye Larry and I could give you change for the note in 3 bob bits ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Aye Larry and I could give you change for the note in 3 bob bits ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis you young old devil, Your a man after my own own heart, You must have attended the same school as I did, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , There is not a lot of us old hauliers left that started from scratch as owner drivers is there, It wasnt easy in the early days of course, But you & myself & lots of others give it a go & we came out on top in the end, Regards Larry.