A to Z Transport Miscellaney

Bewick:

DEANB:
Maudslay

Two great shots there Dean ! I wonder if the Maudsley Steer ( Mustang?) factory motor was taken after AEC took them over ? and looking at the Chivers waggon and trailer I’m just wondering what weight it had on board, 22 pallets but were they 1 ton each ? and it is on pallets which would have been somewhat of an innovation in those days as “handball” was the industry norm then. And I see they look as if they have put a row of boxes down the middle of the motor which would help run off the rain, but not it appears on the trailer? My kind of outfit ! Cheers Dennis.

In the 50’s our neighbour drove for Chivers. I believe he usually drove an Atkinson and can clearly remember him making a very disparaging remark about Maudslays to his son who, like me, was just a kid at the time. One of his regular runs was to an associated factory in Montrose, the round trip from Cambridge being an entire week’s work.
At the time Chivers ran a diverse fleet, some of which were pretty ancient. As I recall, the company wasn’t known for overpaying its employees but it looked after them well in other ways.