HGV Truck Sensors

Are any vehicles nowadays fitted with sensors to the front especially rear when reversing?

Can a DIY job be done on trucks to put sensors on you can do it with cars?

some will have cameras ,some older will have sensors , Most don’t apart from collision avoidance sensors which are common place on trucks for the last few years

Yes and Yes. Although TBH I think you’d be better off fitting a reversing camera system. The problem with proximity sensors is that the driver often needs to ignore them as backing onto a loading bay etc necessarily involves getting very close to and actually touching the loading bay. We had proximity sensors on our old fleet and most drivers simply ignored them. The reverse cameras on the current fleet are much more useful.

Or Feel the force :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
My 31ft bodied Merc 26t actros has no cameras only my judgement and guess work :open_mouth:

I guess you would have to tell your company, however wouldn’t that affect your insurance? You’re going to be safer so insurance premium must come down?

Last two days I’ve had trailers with rear sensors on. They are a pain, applying the trailer brakes when they detect anything, such as a parallel kerb, wheel chock (to stop you going too far), loading bay etc. I find the lack of a clutch means I can’t reverse as smoothly as I used to and adding this to the mix makes the truck plain awful to reverse. Get seasick in some places!

I was watching a MAN truck driving on youtube and a alarm went off when he touched the center white lines on middle of the road? It could of been something else but can these trucks or other trucks do this think it is awesome if they can.

Braveheart2009:
I was watching a MAN truck driving on youtube and a alarm went off when he touched the center white lines on middle of the road? It could of been something else but can these trucks or other trucks do this think it is awesome if they can.

Yes - Lane Departure Warning system. Standard fit (legal requirement) on all new trucks since November 2015…

I know someone at Wilkinson shops that’s got reversing one’s fitted on some trailers. Right pain apparently. Keep slamming brakes on reversing on to a bay but disconnecting ABS lead dissables it apparently [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Late 80s they fitted rear camera to her great idea but black n white.Reversing on grey clay towards black abyss at night. Never mind

I have a car 4 sensor set wired to a 12v ciggy plug and at night I pointed one over each door looking down one looking at the tank and one looking out the screen (not sure if the screen one was any good) and only when in a new area or surrounded by other trucks, an occasional beep if a driver passing between the trucks but a constant warning if stood for a while, a couple of times high winds would blow the one off the tank, that wakes you up lol

Andrew23:
Last two days I’ve had trailers with rear sensors on. They are a pain, applying the trailer brakes when they detect anything, such as a parallel kerb, wheel chock (to stop you going too far), loading bay etc. I find the lack of a clutch means I can’t reverse as smoothly as I used to and adding this to the mix makes the truck plain awful to reverse. Get seasick in some places!

Soft dock system . Drop the abs line when it keeps coming on when reversing or wipe the sensors clean