"Heavy Haulage through the years"

pv83:

DIG:

pv83:
Couple I’ve spotted on my journeys…

Good stuff Patrick there is certainly a wide variety of trucks and trailers for the low loader type operations your side of the planet.

My old KW was indeed a W900 series a W924 model ,it was built as an ON/Off highway unit double skinned chassis rails 9ton steer axle 56000ilb Eaton 2 speed diffs giving it a 128 ton aussie rating but i was only allowed to gross 118 tons.
cheers Dig

Sounds like a proper wagon DIG, looks the part… even with that dodgy bloke standing in front of it :wink:
I’ll get me coat…

Always thought those W900’s looked nicer than the Peterbilt equivalent for some reason, can’t put me finger on it, just a gut feeling I suppose… never driven one obviously but the first model I’d made was a W900… many moons ago…

How much fuel could you carry in those twin tanks mate? Must be a lot, reckon there’s not a service every 20odd miles out there eh… :laughing:

Fascinating pic you’ve dug up mate, can’t even imagine how tough it would have been, hauling timber with a… well whatever it is…

Cheers, Patrick

Have you still got the model Patrick? The W model first went into production in 1961 and is still going,the 908 is a lot different beast to my old girl.
Very few Peterbuilts here so hard for me to compare.

That dodgy bloke didn’t have to have braces to hold the jeans up in them days :laughing:
That was the start of a very long day I was sitting having a coffee with the boss 2200kms away the following day.

Your correct about fuel outlets few and far between plus of course the more remote the more you pay.
The W had 4x 400 litre tanks,the Mack that followed had 4 x 500 litre and then they started the square section tanks and now trucks are carrying up to 2400 litres but you have to remember units pulling 3 or 31/2 trailers would be chewing around a litre /kilometer my Mack when on double decker cattle work with 3 trailers across the Barclay Tablelands with a cross wind was battling to do 800metres/litre.

Cheers Dig