PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

gingerfold:
I recommend anyone with an hour to spare to look at the post on “Professional Drivers” forum with the link to the 1979 Winter M62 GMP video. It’s a perfect comparison to these photos and has plenty for us more mature posters to discuss.

Good stuff “gingerfold” thanks for letting us know about that ! :wink:

bubbleman:
Hiya,I don’t know who Paul Townsend is but he didn’t take the first two shots of Whitwills KWs…I did!! :frowning: ,heres a couple more of LOU 555Y and yes Piston Broke the shot of DHW 665W was parked in Dandos at Sodbury…again another shot of it from the same day.Bubbs.

Thanks for the pics Bubbs,nice one ! :wink:

Chris Webb:
We have had these Fodens on before but i cant remember the company.
Cant see anything securing the load ?
I believe the Foden artic is one of Coalmoor Refractories from Wellington,Salop area. They used to run a Foden “twin - load” outfit as well.No photo unfortunately.

Thanks Chris that’s the company ! :laughing:

abtfinman:
Initials T.F. on door so i assume Tank Freight ■■.

The Buffalo was owned by Midland Oil Refineries. They had a plant in Ebbw Vale. I was transport Co-coordinator there from 1979 to 1982. Think the driver is Alan Prosser. Unfortunately no longer with us.
[/quote]
Thanks for the name chap, thats a posh title “Transport Coordinator” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

logger:

Piston broke:

Doesn’t ring any bells with me I’m afraid RoF… I’ve been quite a long time thunking and clunking but haven’t any answers really… The only place I can think of was a yard at Gaunts Earthcott that did an engine rebuild on a Rolls powered ERF in the early eighties, for the firm I worked for at the time.

There were only a couple of yards at Gaunts Earthcott in the early 80’s Powell’s transport operated from there and also remember Bob Downton can’t remember what he traded as .
The only person I know of rebuilding Volvos in that area was Percy Snow at Easter Compton which wasn’t far from there , still trading as Snows Commercials
[/quote]
Thanks for your comments “logger” :smiley:

ramone:

gingerfold:
I recommend anyone with an hour to spare to look at the post on “Professional Drivers” forum with the link to the 1979 Winter M62 GMP video. It’s a perfect comparison to these photos and has plenty for us more mature posters to discuss.

Someone posted this a few months back and i watched it on my laptop ,having plenty of time on my hands being out of work i`ve just watched it again this time on tv and the difference in policing is unbelievable. Great memories

Thanks for your input “ramone” :smiley:

Mark R:
Another great selection of photos today, particularly the Ferrymasters Volvo F7. I wonder who ‘Jimmy’ is (or was) and where he might have been going that day. Every photo tells a story so they say. The Fibreglass Seddon Atkinson is one of the nicest examples I’ve seen!.. Many thanks for sharing these wonderful photos.

Cheers “Mark R”. Paul will be pleased you are still enjoying the pics ! :laughing: :wink:

Chris Webb:

gingerfold:
I recommend anyone with an hour to spare to look at the post on “Professional Drivers” forum with the link to the 1979 Winter M62 GMP video.

I was forced to park up just above Birch Services on that Friday night along with two more of our drivers and were eventually allowed to cross to the southbound next day and got back to Sheffield around 1500 on the Saturday afternoon,via M6/A50/A38 Derby and up M1.

Thanks for your comments Chris ! :wink:

JAKEY:
Thank you DEANB , Yes also vehicle makes could of been chosen because of what contracts they were on ? We had lots of Leylands at Oxford depot as most of the main work was in and out of the local Bl factory at Cowley but on general we had a few Scania’s which did not go in to the factory in the early days .

Makes sense “JAKEY” :laughing: :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:

logger:
The only person I know of rebuilding Volvos in that area was Percy Snow at Easter Compton which wasn’t far from there , still trading as Snows Commercials

Good man, Logger!!! The top of my head’s been bleeding from all the scratching I’ve been doing!
Yes, indeed, now I remember Snow’s. I called there one day for a part for my 88- can’t think what it was- and I was taken with a newish F10 that had been written off in an accident. I was struck by the attention to detail and the brilliant finish of the paint. They had even found ally wheels and a nice shiny exhaust stack for it. On enquiring who they were doing it for, I was told that they had bought it from the insurers and it would shortly be for sale. It must be about 40 years ago but, apart from forgetting the firm’s name and where they were located it feels like yesterday. Thanks for jogging my old brain cell (just the one left, now!).

Good stuff “ROF” :laughing:

tastrucker:

DEANB:
Fibreglass Insulations smart Seddon Atkinson. Nice wheel trims.]

Hello DEAN ,some lovely stuff ,that blue Foden with S40 cab is Coalmoor refractories from Dawley Telford , they would be hauling firebricks to S Wales ,Port Talbot no doubt , that ERF 8 wheeler with Stephens Tredegar is ex Dennis Charles Direct transport Gobowen ,they were a familiar sight up in Shotton and a very tidy kept fleet ,thank you Trevor .

Thanks for the information Trevor ! :smiley: :wink:

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:
I recommend anyone with an hour to spare to look at the post on “Professional Drivers” forum with the link to the 1979 Winter M62 GMP video.

I was forced to park up just above Birch Services on that Friday night along with two more of our drivers and were eventually allowed to cross to the southbound next day and got back to Sheffield around 1500 on the Saturday afternoon,via M6/A50/A38 Derby and up M1.

I was coming at it from the Yorkshire side but in a car, a Ford ■■■■■■ 1600 sport. I’d left Chesterfield mid-afternoon and decided not to go my usual route over the Peak District to Stockport, so came M1 and M62. Chesterfield was in chaos but I made it to the M1 and had an easy run up to the M62 when I found out the climb up to Ainley Top was at a standstill. I dived off the motorway and got through Huddersfield then it was decision time as to which road to take across the moors. I chose the A640 for some reason and because no one else was daft enough to attempt it I actually got across with only one stoppage when I had to do a bit of digging. Eventually I got home about 9.00 pm feeling very pleased with myself. That ■■■■■■ was a cracking car and even when the gritters went on strike during that bad winter weather of 1979 I always managed to get through to Chesterfield across the A623. One car I wish I still had.
[/quote]
Good story Graham ! :laughing: