Needed! Drivers from the 1960s to help T&D - and me!

Hi all,

I’ve got a real fascination with our industry’s living history, and a deeply held belief we need to document as much of it as possible before it’s too late and we can no longer hear it firsthand.

To this end I’ve completely taken advantage of the new editor at Truck & Driver and persuaded him to run a series entitled “Drivers Through The Decades” so we can get 3 or 4 from each and at least start recording how it was in their time. :sunglasses:

I’m starting with the 1960s, so is anyone here who was driving then and who is game and up for talking to me? It’ll involve a short - probably half hour tops - phone interview which will be really casual, where basically all I’ll need you to do is reminisce. You don’t need to have done anything special - in fact the tales of those who just drove on bog standard general in the UK are the ones which often get overlooked, so would be particularly welcome this time around. :grimacing:

Any images from the 1960s would be much appreciated too, either by email to lucy@truck.net, in which case they need to be a minimum of 1mb in file size, or by snail mail (we promise to return them)- again, email me for the address.

Many many very hopeful thanks… Lucy. :grimacing:

C’mon guys, there must be one or two of you out there! :open_mouth:

Hi, Lucy,
Maybe some of us have spent so many hours reminiscing on these pages that we’re just about “nostalgicced” out. Some of us even tend to bore ourselves silly! Maybe you could trawl these pages for material then ask the poster’s permission to use the material?
Best of luck.

+1

That makes sense, actually. Thanks guys. :bulb: :grimacing:

Plus a lot of us are far too young to have been driving trucks then! Back in the 60’s I was kept busy repairing all the damage done by those older drivers, then I passed my test in the 70’s and started damaging them myself. :wink:

Pete.

I am coming up for 74 now and I started trucking in '69 after I left the army, so anyone who was trucking in the '60’s must be well into their 80’s now so they will be a bit thin on the ground.
When I started, I was working with my uncle who started his trucking career in the '20’s as second man on a Model T Ford, and he could talk all night about his exploits, driving Sentinel steamers and chain drive Scammels. I started where he finished, driving Atki Borderer’s.

bestbooties:
I am coming up for 74 now and I started trucking in '69 after I left the army, so anyone who was trucking in the '60’s must be well into their 80’s now so they will be a bit thin on the ground.
When I started, I was working with my uncle who started his trucking career in the '20’s as second man on a Model T Ford, and he could talk all night about his exploits, driving Sentinel steamers and chain drive Scammels. I started where he finished, driving Atki Borderer’s.

I started in 1963 and I’m only a year older than you . Mind you I was driving Bedfords that were allegedly under 3 tons . The 60s was a good decade to drive , still plenty of old school drivers to show you the ropes and a lot of bosses who still thought lorries only did 30mph , so the pay was good on job and knock which was most of the jobs back then . Dave

Im sure Bewick would be able to help he’s really old he gets a birthday card and a letter this year from the Queen

ramone:
Im sure Bewick would be able to help he’s really old he gets a birthday card and a letter this year from the Queen

Get your tin hat on Ramone!

rigsby:

bestbooties:

I started in 1963 and I’m only a year older than you . Mind you I was driving Bedfords that were allegedly under 3 tons . The 60s was a good decade to drive , still plenty of old school drivers to show you the ropes and a lot of bosses who still thought lorries only did 30mph , so the pay was good on job and knock which was most of the jobs back then . Dave

Are you up for a natter then rigsby? Please? :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Lucy:

rigsby:

bestbooties:

Are you up for a natter then rigsby? Please? :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Hi “Lucy” Did you get my PM, Regards Larry.

I’m coming up 64, been in transport as a drivers mate from 1970, on to 3.5 tons in 73, HGV since 75, before that I travelled with my Dad through to 50’s and 60’s, I can only remember bit’s of the 50’s as I was so young, but the 60’s I can remember quite a bit especially the cafe’s, cold lorries and argueing with my Brothers who’s turn it was in the seat.

There was no arguing about the seat in my dad’s cab- I was permanently assigned to the bonnet (sloping!) of the Thorneycroft!

Retired Old ■■■■:
There was no arguing about the seat in my dad’s cab- I was permanently assigned to the bonnet (sloping!) of the Thorneycroft!

Same with me in dads FG cabbed Foden ROF, though it was level at least! Grandfather usually occupied the passenger seat, and always moved the tiny mirror so that he could see but then dad couldn’t!! Almost twenty years later I did my HGV training in a Foden, and (because there were two of us being taught) once again found myself perched on the bonnet but it was a much tighter squeeze!! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Pete.

Lucy:
Hi all,
I’ve got a real fascination with our industry’s living history, and a deeply held belief we need to document as much of it as possible before it’s too late and we can no longer hear it firsthand.
Many many very hopeful thanks… Lucy. :grimacing:

Hi Lucy, top marks for such a great idea, I can’t wait to see the finished article. :smiley:
Lets hope that there are still some stories left from the people who started off driving in the sixties with the coalman, the Corona mineral man or the paraffin men, bum bum bum bum Esso Blue. :laughing:

Hi Lucy send me a private message and i will give you my home email i have all my driving written down from 1967.rgds peggydeckboy

Hi, l was a drivers mate on heavy haulage in the 60s and went on to become a driver having driven many miles before obtaining a license, it was my apprenticeship !
I have worked in the transport industry all my life and now at the tender age of 64 l am semi retired and only work part time.
In my lesure time I visit clubs up and down the country giving slide shows and talks about our industry and my experiences. I also have a large collection of model lorries and photos.
I would be more than happy to talk to you about transport history ( it’s my favourite subject ).
You can reach either by phone or email:- 07740299355 or 01377250760 or tonyhawkridge@live.co.uk
Regards Tony Hawkridge.

Good to see Lucy is getting some response now, things were a bit slow to get started especially as there are quite a few 60’s era drivers on here, I hope she manages to put something together. Franky.

It’s because us drivers are shy and retiring sorts of chaps, never wanting to cause a fuss or push ourselves forward, Franky. You know the sort! :wink: :wink: :wink: