Dogfood Dan & the Carmarthen Cowboy BBC 1988

OK, so I’ve been looking for a few years now for copies of this series on either vhs or dvd transfers. I’m a member of various archive TV forums including the rather snooty Mausoleum Club - but none of them has anything to offer :frowning:

I’m not talking about the Itv Playhouse version from 1982 which is now on YouTube and worth a watch (Blake’s 7’s Gareth Thomas who died last year was in that version and it’s very watchable). The 1988 BBC sitcom adaptation hasn’t resurfaced at all it seems since original transmission and having picked up a similar era series on here a few years back (Truckers) I thought I’d put the question out… and yeah, it had Ford Cargo tractor units in it, which is the big plus for me :grimacing: :blush: :unamused: :smiley:

I remember that series, the story went about 2 drivers who were knocking off each others wives and boasting about it in a cafe half way between their home towns. Wasnt until they all went off on a dirty weekend together that they found out.

You might want to check out ,ahem, limetorrents. Seems the whole series is posted on there and looks in good health. Old and obscure footage surfaces on torrent sites from time to time and you can usually find it if you look hard enough. I recently watched a bunch of french drivers doing middle east in the 70’s and an old black and white movie about a fleet of tippers called “hell drivers”

I remember some it was filmed at Briggs café on Whitehall road at Drighlington , I think one of the motors was A Leyland roadtrain

AndieHyde:
I remember that series, the story went about 2 drivers who were knocking off each others wives and boasting about it in a cafe half way between their home towns. Wasnt until they all went off on a dirty weekend together that they found out.

You might want to check out ,ahem, limetorrents. Seems the whole series is posted on there and looks in good health. Old and obscure footage surfaces on torrent sites from time to time and you can usually find it if you look hard enough. I recently watched a bunch of french drivers doing middle east in the 70’s and an old black and white movie about a fleet of tippers called “hell drivers”

I’ll check that out - many thanks! For the record, Hell Drivers has now (within the last fortnight) had an official DVD release from Network Media.

atlas man:
I remember some it was filmed at Briggs café on Whitehall road at Drighlington , I think one of the motors was A Leyland roadtrain

That was the 1982 version I mentioned above, as the motors used by the two protagonists in the 1988 BBC Sitcom version were Cargos. Here’s the YouTube link to the 1982 version : youtu.be/lId8jyT5WGQ

sdg1970:

AndieHyde:

I’ll check that out - many thanks! For the record, Hell Drivers has now (within the last fortnight) had an official DVD release from Network Media.

Well that would explain why it has suddenly become available on certain web sites (Aghhh, shiver me timbers, matey!!!) after all these many years but a nice way of spending an afternoon with a few coldies non the less.
Anyone of the current crop of “professional drivers” who complain about my auto this an that doesnt work or my driving time this should be made to watch that old classic at gunpoint.

Hell Drivers has been shown on Freeview Channel 81 Talking Pictures quite a few times recently, no doubt it will be on again. If you’ve never checked out this Its a great channel for oldies and shows some films that have never been on telly before. Franky.