Seddon penine pantechnicon

When I was a kid my dad had a mate Tommy McFadyen who had 2 Seddon Penine’s coach chassis built in cab pantechnicon’s one was a left ■■■■■■ the standard was 13.6 high & 32 ft long but because he did continental he had them built 12.6 high & 36 ft long the max for a ridged.
Lovely motor to ride in curved coach screen and comfortable ride on the coach chassis. ANY PICS OUT THERE ■■

Try searching posts by Carl Williams, he’s well into furniture vans / pantechnicans.

classicman:
Try searching posts by Carl Williams, he’s well into furniture vans / pantechnicans.

Yes if you go into W.H.Williams Spennymoor thread you’ll find a few photos.

The Pennine was the Seddon Passenger Chassis Also their Coachworks was called Pennine and they designed a pantechnicon for that chassis, which is what you will be referring to. When Seddon got short of space they closed the Pennine coachbuilding side and used the space which was next to the vehicle production, to increase their floorspace for vehicle production.
They sold the pantechnicon making side, including moulds for cab front, roofs etc to Boyer Bros Congleton who made the same bodies/cabs under licence. Boyer Bros changed their name to Boalloy and made more fame by making curtain siders named Tautliners

We had about 8 Seddon Pennines With Bodies by Marsden Warington, Vanplan Warrington and about 2 from Seddon’s own Pennine, & 2 fro Boyer Bros (Boalloy) The bodies by Marsden and Vanplan were in a different class to Pennine or Boalloy like compairing a Rolls Royce to a Fiat. Seddon fitted Perkins 6.354 Engines to these vehicles, which was the downfall. Had they fitted a five cylinder Gardiner or a down rated 6 cylinder Gardiner they would have been excellent vehicles, but we asked them and the claimed the chassis were too light weight

A photo of a Seddon Pennine which may be of interested

Thanks for the replies and photo, the Seddon Pennine my dad had was fitted with the Perkins engine but was built lower and longer to cope with bridge clearance on the continent, one was also a left ■■■■■■ and they were blue with a yellow line I’m sure thy were ordered from Halls of Finchley London once again many thanks.

southlondoner:
Thanks for the replies and photo, the Seddon Pennine my dad had was fitted with the Perkins engine but was built lower and longer to cope with bridge clearance on the continent, one was also a left ■■■■■■ and they were blue with a yellow line I’m sure thy were ordered from Halls of Finchley London once again many thanks.

As I explained the Seddon Pennine chassis was their passenger chassis & vehicles could be built up to 36 ft long.which at the time was the maximum length allowed on UK roads. We had one built at 36 ft long and 13 ft 6in high which we usually used on a weekly journey covering the very North of Scotland, It was OK for that but really was too high to cope in high winds, and was totally too long to negotiate town & city deliveries in England and completely useless in most housing estates. However as the chassis was designed for front entrance buses and coaches the front axle was set well back with long front overhang which meant you could get long bodies with relatively shorter wheelbase than Bedford TKs by example, and so they were better to get into tight spaces. Most of ours therefore we had built to 34ft 13ft high as this suited our use.