NORMANDIE-Brittany Ferries

I sailed on M.V. Normandie when it was just a few weeks old,early 1992.
What a difference, compared with some of the ferries I had sailed on in
the past. The lorry drivers restaurant was excellent, the carafes of lovely
red wine were wonderful, and as soon as the carafe was empty, the nice
waiter would arrive with another full one.
Picture 1, “Normandie” arriving at Portsmouth from Ouistreham.
Look closely at the bow of the vessel,and an artic trailer can be seen.
Picture 2, “Normandie” at the double deck linkspan at Ouistreham.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

With a United Savam along side it , later to be Red with a big ND on them.

Ouistreham 1993. " Normandie Shipper" is stern on at the original linkspan,
and “Normandie” bow on at the double deck linkspan. At the left of “Normandie”
is the eastern end of “Sword Beach”, famous for its part in the “D-Day Landings”.

Ray Smyth.

Steve Edwards Pic of Normandie.

The first arrival of Brittany Ferries “NORMANDIE” at Ouistreham (Caen) in 1992,
seen here moving slowly toward the new double deck linkspan.
Truckline “NORMANDIE SHIPPER” at the original linkspan. Click on picture.
Not my picture. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Normandie 4.jpg

Brittany Ferries new ship “Normandie” at the new double deck linkspan at Ouistreham on
July 8th 1992, ready to depart for Portsmouth. “Normandie” entered service on this route
on May 25th 1992. This ship is still on the Portsmouth to Caen (Ouistreham) route today
11th December 2018. Click on picture twice for better image.
Ray Smyth.

Even got a SCAC trailer in one photo.

SCAC trailers I stripped a few of those in my time, nearly all my backloads were steel out of Stocksbridge Sheffield.

hotel magnum:
SCAC trailers I stripped a few of those in my time, nearly all my backloads were steel out of Stocksbridge Sheffield.

No wood fences roun Stocksbridge for miles , all ripped out for dunnage, Buzzer

The hull of its successor was launched today in Germany, the Honfleur has its deck made in Poland on the quay ready to be fitted.

One of the inaugural arrival of a Truckline ship into and out of Poole docks 1972ish being welcomed by some dignatory , the AEC Mandator belonged to PBC whos owner Frank Allen had money invested in the setup of the service I believe, my first International job also a Mandator working for them 35 quid a week all in back then, Buzzer

This is a fairly recent Brittany Ferries picture of Normandie, showing the different funnel and exhaust system.
Not my picture. Ray Smyth.

Brittany Ferries “Quiberon” arriving at Santander in Northern Spain, 1982.

kerbut:
The hull of its successor was launched today in Germany, the Honfleur has its deck made in Poland on the quay ready to be fitted.

Supposed to be in service 2020 after delayed construction. First channel ferry powered by LNG, Going into service Portsmouth- Ouistreham.

I sailed from Portsmouth to Ouistreham (Caen) quite a few times between 1992 and 2010.
Earlier today I was looking at an aerial view of Ouistreham Ferry Port on Google Earth, and
I noticed that the lorry park has been extended seaward, and it looks like it can accommodate
approx 200 more lorries in 2nd picture. Click on pictures for better image. Ray Smyth.