Is there a skill shortage?

ramone:
Im not sure theres a skill shortage its more down to attitude. No one seems to care if the job doesnt get done .Its been getting worse with an attitude of how can i get out of doing something . I think theres a big percentage (not all) of the young and upcoming generation that just dont give a toss ,who come in and cant finish early enough.With Brexit we have an ideal situation where we can set our own rules and regulations and make our industry more attractive … but don`t hold your breath :wink:

It seems to me, reading postings in the Professional Drivers section, that these days nobody does nothing without expecting payment for it? Wanting paying for the time taken to walk to the office at the end of the shift etc, when I think of what we did ‘back in the day’ for little or no pay! Things like greasing, oil changing, washing (except H. Gill) tyre inflating plus other routine maintenance tasks which most drivers were expected to do to keep your lorry in good order, sometimes the gaffer would give you a little extra in your wage packet and sometimes not. I can’t ever remember havng a contract, I certainly never signed one, it was all done on trust but these days all that seems to have gone out of the window? :confused: Very sad, but I guess that’s life in the 21st century?

Pete.