The Monkey house

Watched “Spaghetti no junction” recently, and one of the scenes was filmed in the Monkey house.
Used to run the nationals a fair bit en route to Itie in the early/mid 90s but cant think where this routier was/ is.?

Probably one for the old time lorries page this topic.

I seem to remember it was on the old national going up the blonc before the French extended the motorway from Cluses and put in the ski slope at La Fayet, when that downward section clinging to the rock face used to carry traffic both ways!!!

I only ever went once and that was with my Dad in the mid 80’s as we were based in the north it wasnt somewhere that landed us at the end of a shift. Just watched that video on youtube and the memories come flooding back, first truck I ever drove abroad was a 2800 DAF. Getting old ■■■■■.

I think it was the blanc side of Bellegarde on that twisty bit of road that went passed the Resistance monument, used to be at the top of a long drag before a sharp right hand bend routiers on left with parking opposite

Thanks for the replies. Didn’t do my first Itie run until what must have been around 92 ish.
The last routier I recall before you got to the Blanc, was where it went back to single carridgeway and it was just before you turned right for the tunnel, not far the log cabin.

After the climb over the Cerdon between Nantua & Bellegarde

Was it at Jayat ?

As it is now, looks not used and derelict, shame as may a happy night spent in there.

Ossie

Monkey3.jpg

It was always packed on a Monday and Tuesday night, Italy bound. Had a pool table that was hard to leave if you had to be in Italy for morning customs

stopped there a few times I may be wrong but didn’t a Lloyds of Ludlow or a swains of stretton driver have an accident there

daf3300:
stopped there a few times I may be wrong but didn’t a Lloyds of Ludlow or a swains of stretton driver have an accident there

The story I was told was that a driver stepped through the bushes at the back of the lorry park to have a leak and fell down the ravine at the back and done himself some damage, evidently the fire brigade where called to get him out, that’s the story I heard, someone will put me right I sure.

Ossie

From a miss spent youth (well not entirely) in this fine establishment, I recall the regular crew southbound at the beginning of the week were: Bulldog, Swains, Cadwaller, Alberti & Santi uk drivers, the orange scania road trains ‘Transport Renaud’ from Nemours (proper ‘a frames’) that were always in San Lorenzo taking up all the room, and M & B Transport (oh Moppy, where are you now? I forgive you for ignoring me on the ferry to Greece a month later because of some surely imagined sleight, by me , in the bar in Busto Arzisio dogana the previous week). Happy days, no mobile phones, T Forms to slow you down, no speed limiters ( to speed you up when needed) and Pop (rip) at Aosta who made you laughout load no matter what. Who remembers his waiter brother, who lived in a shed at the bottom of the ristorante garden? If you were pulling out early hours on a frosty morning he would open up an make a coffe no matter what the time. Happy days.

That’s the first time that I have watched that Spaghetti No Junction video and it was O.K.
Now is it me or when they set off from The Monkey House in the morning are the trucks facing a different way. :confused: