How far can you go?

Just sat sitting here wondering, where is the furthest place in the world that you can actually drive a truck to from England?

I do occasionally email technical to these. They are still preparing the vehicle. I think low bridges will be a problem apart from the numerous possible mechanical.

japanorbust.org.uk/

Well if you can get a bus there then a wagon could get there too.

That’s mad!!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I wonder about this kind of thing too, apparently the longest possible drive in the world is from Magadan Russia to Cape Point Africa. Obviously not likely to happen for either terrain, political or border issues but still be interesting to see how far people have got in their lorries from our little Island.

There is at least one member of this forum who has driven to the Chinese border. Others, back in the 70s and 80s have done Afghanistan, Pakistan and I believe one company did India. Politics, war, religious ideology :unamused: , would prevent you from going much further.
There was an article somewhere where a group of individuals drove two Leyland Sherpa vans to K2 or Everest in support of a British climbing attempt. I think they went through Iran, this would have been in the 80`s.

I did read somewhere on here about a chap who drove to Pakistan…now that’s a fair hop.

(oh, it was in my post about home brewed sleeper cabs)

There’s a book about 4 English guys who drove overland to Singapore in the 50’s, in two Land Rovers, this was when the Stillwell Road through Burma was still open, they made a documentary for the BBC I believe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_an … Expedition

You have to make a sea crossing to get anywhere from here anyway.In which case taking into account it can’t possibly be a totally over land run there is no limit. :bulb: :wink:

tourradar.com/t/70182

samuelhawley.com/lsrphotosbluebird.html

Carryfast:
You have to make a sea crossing to get anywhere from here anyway.In which case taking into account it can’t possibly be a totally over land run there is no limit. :bulb: :wink:

tourradar.com/t/70182

I realise that…but you’d need a ferry crossing to get into Europe anyways.

I went to Romania and Ukraine.
Satisfied with that.
It was So different to delivering for Calor Or Bp and you know what…
More enjoyable

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I used to occassionally work in the National Theatre on the South Bank. On the street outside Australian travellers used to try to sell their Aussie registered motor homes that they had travelled overland in to get their air-fare home. Never did ask what route they took but somebody must have done the trip in the opposite direction. I nearly bought a Chrysler New Yorker in Doha to drive back to the UK but the job ran on so long the air route was too tempting, Anyway - what in 1978 would have been an adventure, would have counted as a “local” to some of you guys. Jim.

Richard J:

Carryfast:

tourradar.com/t/70182

I realise that…but you’d need a ferry crossing to get into Europe anyways.

That’s what I said.In which case it doesn’t make much difference whether it’s from here to the continent,or across the Atlantic,or adding the sea crossing from Asia to Australia.IE it is possible to drive a truck from UK-Australia-UK with a couple of essential sea crossings. :bulb:

Early 90’s was held a one off rally from London to New York without a single ferry involved. Channel tunnel was being dug and they were allowed to drive through it. As it was staged in winter time the Baring staight was frozen over so was also driveable to Alaska.
1995, seven blokes collectivley known as Mondo Enduro set off from London on DR350 dirt bikes for London via the whole world. Europe Asia North America South America South Africa Europe…OK. some ships were involved but one hell of a feat anyone would agree.

AndieHyde:
Early 90’s was held a one off rally from London to New York without a single ferry involved. Channel tunnel was being dug and they were allowed to drive through it. As it was staged in winter time the Baring staight was frozen over so was also driveable to Alaska.

If they tried it they must have failed and no chance with a truck.

snagfilms.com/films/title/ice_challenger

Me & Mrs D were probably the last westeners to transit Syria at the start of the conflict, as we were heading to Jordan there was a continual movement of soldiers & equipment heading north, We then crossed the Red Sea and headed straight down to Cape Town.

Carryfast:

tourradar.com/t/70182

If the trains stopped you could drive through the chunnel :smiley:

Check this out dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3009708
Drive to Alaska by road. Les.

26F451ED00000578-3009708-image-a-71_1427215480204[1].jpg

If you wanted to be REALLY silly you could use an Amphicar. :unamused:

Carryfast:

AndieHyde:

If they tried it they must have failed and no chance with a truck.

snagfilms.com/films/title/ice_challenger

Totally possible with a modified SUV. Anyone remember Top Gear driving to the north pole over sea ice in a Toyota Hi-lux. A fully freighter truck maybe not so much however any avid viewer of Ice Road Truckers will know they go out on frozen lakes as a matter of course and have ventured out on open sea ice to the northern off shore oil fields.
Technically plauseable. Yes. Econmically viable. Very much doubt it.

lespullan:
Check this out dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3009708
Drive to Alaska by road. Les.

:open_mouth:

Have they thought that through.

All the fuel costs and maintenance and time needed for a 10,000 mile + run v leave it parked up for around a week or so from Liverpool or Southampton to the East Coast. :wink: