Moss Gearboxes

I know that these were fitted in 3.8 Jags, but Moss did make heavy duty gearboxes as well. ISTR reading somewhere that Seddon fitted a Moss gearbox in the tractor unit model immediately before the Motor Panels cab came on scene. Any recollections?

Yes they did, in the lighter versions of the last of the coachbuilt cab types. Guy fitted them as well, the gearchange pattern was usually reversed with high gears away from the driver and according to a fitter mate of mine the gearbox had a habit of parting from the bellhousing as the bolts regularly came loose but, being inside the bellhousing, were not accessible with the unit in place.

Pete.

I seem to remember that Moss boxes were used on some models of Dodge, as well. Of course, I’m FAR too young to remember those days myself! :wink:
Anyone know where they were made?

Our very sorely missed late friend Saviem gave a potted history of Moss Gearboxes and axles in reply to a question I asked him not too long ago, shortly before his death. Guy and Seddon used Moss gearboxes and rear axles, and I also believe that one of the fork lift truck manufacturers used Moss components.

My brother has a Moss- boxed MK2 3.4 Jaguar that I often drive. They’re notorious for their poor synchromesh. Technique similar to a lorry, double-declutch and don’t rush it! From 1966 Jaguar fitted their own box, much better synchro, but they lost that lovely whine in first.
Bernard

Seddon used both Moss axles and gearboxes prior to using their own axle and DB gearboxes I believe. Cheers Bewick.

Probably should be on the Seddon thread, but the Seddon 14/4/400 rigids we had (2 of them) had Albion 6-speed O/D boxes with the Leyland O.400 power plus engines with Moss 10-ton back axles, (6.17:1 ratio IIRC) and the Seddon 30/4/690 artics (2 of them) had AEC / Thorneycroft D203 6-speed O/D boxes behind their AEC 2AV690 engines. Again they had Moss 10-ton back axles (6.83:1 ratio IIRC). One of these snapped its half shaft climbing Shap and the other had persistent hub oil seal problems which frequently rendered one or both rear brakes useless. Seddon retro-fitted an Eaton 2-speed axle in this lorry and it made it into one heck of a lorry.

Through the years and gears.
Oily

gingerfold:
Probably should be on the Seddon thread, but the Seddon 14/4/400 rigids we had (2 of them) had Albion 6-speed O/D boxes with the Leyland O.400 power plus engines with Moss 10-ton back axles, (6.17:1 ratio IIRC) and the Seddon 30/4/690 artics (2 of them) had AEC / Thorneycroft D203 6-speed O/D boxes behind their AEC 2AV690 engines. Again they had Moss 10-ton back axles (6.83:1 ratio IIRC). One of these snapped its half shaft climbing Shap and the other had persistent hub oil seal problems which frequently rendered one or both rear brakes useless. Seddon retro-fitted an Eaton 2-speed axle in this lorry and it made it into one heck of a lorry.

Seddons sure did use a wide variety of components and can be rightly classed as “assemblers” along with Atkinson and ERF although Seddon were not quite in the same league as the two Premium firms. However IMHO they did produce what I would call reliable “economy” motors finally moving into the top rank of British built motors when they acquired Atkinson and formed Seddon Atkinson but this was the high spot I believe and again IMHO it was downhill all the way from there on ! Others may hold an entirely different and opposite opinion though ! Cheers Bewick.

Again Dennis, I agree entirely with your view. They were also good with after sales support and did try to correct any underlying faults with their lorries. The Moss 10-ton axle was adequate in the rigids, but not really up to the demands of artic power and weights.

It must have been a Moss axle fitted in my old Dads 30/4/6LX, he broke halfshafts twice not long after having the unit from new, he had to take it back to Oldham and they said ‘Oh you’ve got the wrong axle in’ and changed it for the double hub reduction, there was no problem after that, he always said it would pull a house down, his main complaint was the 41mph he could only get out of the Gardner 150, his mate with the AEC 690 engined Seddon would leave him but when it came to the hills it was a different matter, this unit had very few problems during its lifetime and proved a good workhorse. Franky.