Tippers nightmare

I guess most rollovers when tipping would be due to driver or site conditions. But having driven mostly tippers with all manner of tipping gear I wondered if any were more prone to ■■■■ over? I always felt better with single ram up front but even then I still had some cheek clinching moments. Does anyone have any stats or know of any that were taken off the market for safety reasons

plenty went over when i was on tippers…my own F.10 being blown over due to a bit of a stiff breeze :frowning:
a couple at least went over in Mountsorrel quarry,loads went over on sites,8 wheelers as well as artics.

We had a couple of Foden S80’s go over on the level, they were fitted with Edbro twin rams. We had a modification supplied by Edbro which consisted of two shorter top rams and sleeves to fit under the collars of the bottom two rams, we fitted them to the entire fleet and had no more problems. A couple tipped over at MIRA when resurfacing the banking but that was just down to the angle.

I have had the rear wheels on one side come off the ground a few times when tipping across a slope, I was told by an older driver when I started to just bang the body straight to the top and the centre of gravity then lowers and the wheels touch down again so that is what I always did across slopes and never had one go over, though it was touch and go sometimes! Occasionally we had to drop one side of wheels in a trench when on resurfacing and that could be ‘fun’ when the body was raised up high, occasionally the gang would put a sleeper under the wheels which helped but usually they just left you to it and hoped for the best. The rams used to jam up at times and the body wouldn’t drop, the gangs loved you then haha! You needed good nerves sometimes but in 20+ years I can’t recall ever refusing to tip anywhere.

I also liked a single ram up front, we had a couple of Fodens with Harsh underfloor gear and I wasn’t keen on those as the body swayed a lot. However Harsh reckoned they would stand tipping on a tilt better better that the front ram?

Pete.

Would you believe this Volvo was back at work the day after this happened.

This did not go to plan !

DEANB:

Bit of a pi$$er for the Scania driver as it looks like he had already tipped!

carryfast-yeti:
plenty went over when i was on tippers…my own F.10 being blown over due to a bit of a stiff breeze :frowning:
a couple at least went over in Mountsorrel quarry,loads went over on sites,8 wheelers as well as artics.

Which way did it fall? were you hurt?
Don,t know if you were about in 76/77 I was driving for Emmersons n had spell pulling out of Mountsorrel( n half the tippers in the Midlands) dry stone to batching plant somewhere end of M 10. They were coating concrete part of M 1. Anyway I,d tipped n decided to have a break, I was having a cuppa n one of Redlands artics pulled in,J reg S40 twinsteer I think. He decides to tip on the slope instead of up or downhill, god knows why there were plenty of room. I thought this should be interesting in hindsight I should have give him a shout but I was transfixed like a rabbit in the headlights! Up she went 4th ram over she went landing on drivers side. I run over to him n between us we got passenger door open, they,re heavier than you think, he climbed out n said " I didn,t expect that!" I nodded but thought daft t**t

Stanfield:
Would you believe this Volvo was back at work the day after this happened.

NO!
Did it drive in a straight line after?

pete smith:

DEANB:

Bit of a pi$$er for the Scania driver as it looks like he had already tipped!

Bigger pi**er for the MAN driver I reckon

windrush:
We had a couple of Foden S80’s go over on the level, they were fitted with Edbro twin rams. We had a modification supplied by Edbro which consisted of two shorter top rams and sleeves to fit under the collars of the bottom two rams, we fitted them to the entire fleet and had no more problems. A couple tipped over at MIRA when resurfacing the banking but that was just down to the angle.

I have had the rear wheels on one side come off the ground a few times when tipping across a slope, I was told by an older driver when I started to just bang the body straight to the top and the centre of gravity then lowers and the wheels touch down again so that is what I always did across slopes and never had one go over, though it was touch and go sometimes! Occasionally we had to drop one side of wheels in a trench when on resurfacing and that could be ‘fun’ when the body was raised up high, occasionally the gang would put a sleeper under the wheels which helped but usually they just left you to it and hoped for the best. The rams used to jam up at times and the body wouldn’t drop, the gangs loved you then haha! You needed good nerves sometimes but in 20+ years I can’t recall ever refusing to tip anywhere.

I also liked a single ram up front, we had a couple of Fodens with Harsh underfloor gear and I wasn’t keen on those as the body swayed a lot. However Harsh reckoned they would stand tipping on a tilt better better that the front ram?

Pete.

Twin rams up front always looked to me like disaster waiting to happen. Twin rams amidships used to give me nightmares but never had a do with either of them.
The trouble with cocking up on Blaw Knox was everything seemed to happen in slow motion dragging out the, are we going over or what period. Never bothered the machine driver one iota but then he weren,t in the cab.

Has anybody had experience of those artic tippers that cocked up on the back axles ? Not for the feint hearted I,ve always felt.Did you get more payload?
The worst scenario I should imagine must be the guys who worked the ones with the donkey engines I much prefer to be at the steering wheel when tipping
(not sure why cos theres nowt you can do) possibly not so keen if she rolled over. If she went away from you when outside good if she came at you then a Buster Keaton moment between rams n body if you,re lucky

Safe tipping distance comes to mind, if i remember wright from when i was doing it an 8 wheeler is 15metres high when body fully up & 18 meters for a standard bulk trailer.

So don’t take much working out

Of course N Boy ,never entered my head but hope it might have done if I had to work one

The 3 motors tipping side by side is a big no no in most quarries over here …must be at least 40ft between each motor …due to this happening …at my old work if you were seen doing this it meant a day on the bad boys step cleaning the belts up in the plant ,you didn’t do it again .We were told you are on hourly pay no need to take a risk.

Luckily I never had one over but I’ve had some close shaves. We had a trailer with Edbro twin rams and a Wilcox body which the boss decided was “mine”. She was a right swine when tipping coated chippings- I reckon I’ve shovelled almost as much off as I’ve tipped! No matter if you put grit in the bottom or not, the damned stuff usually stuck to one side.

Had a mate with a artic tipper and he had to clear half a load of peat out of a yard and said do you want it for your garden, I said ok then but when he went to tip it would not slide out the trailer, we tried shovelling for about three hours and eventually emptied it out but hairy when full up with a bit of a breeze blowing. We later learned that he should have sprinkled some sand over the bed before loading the peat then apparently it slides out easy as wink, Buzzer.

Yes coated stone were a buga never had peat on the back just as well cos I wouldn,t have sanded. When I run out of Tarmac Cliffe Hill we used to go Heathrow with hot stuff for patching. Not sure what it was but really shiny with funny smell not like usual black stuff somebody on here will know. Anyways we had to spray body with diesel to get it out, a close to sacking offence with anything else.
The only other time for dieselling I took S 39 with top coat for internal road at brewery in Bedford. It were freezing cold day when I backed onto machine ,
went to ■■■■ her up P T O give up the ghost! It was a Sunday job nobody in garage rang mechanic said bring it back n I,ll sort it Monday!!!
Come Monday P T O repaired then removed tailgate went to red tank n sprayed a few gallons into body. After a couple of hours took it down quarry hole cocked her up n about a shovel come out. Buga few more gallons in back a few more hours n gave it another bash it come out alright all in one go , a ■■■■■■■■■ brick. only time I managed a wheelie in a lorry, body were nice n clean though

Retired Old ■■■■:
Luckily I never had one over but I’ve had some close shaves. We had a trailer with Edbro twin rams and a Wilcox body which the boss decided was “mine”. She was a right swine when tipping coated chippings- I reckon I’ve shovelled almost as much off as I’ve tipped! No matter if you put grit in the bottom or not, the damned stuff usually stuck to one side.

Grit with coated chippings!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Blimey, we were not even allowed to put a sheet over them incase any dust etc from the sheet contaminated them and they were rejected on site, plenty of clean water on the floor stopped them sticking.

The materials I disliked carting the most was Red Sandcarpet for bridges or TW grade for tennis courts as both could stick like ■■■■ to a blanket and involve breaking out the Spear and Jackson to clean the body after tipping.

Pete.

windrush:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Grit with coated chippings!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Blimey, we were not even allowed to put a sheet over them incase any dust etc from the sheet contaminated them and they were rejected on site, plenty of clean water on the floor stopped them sticking.

The materials I disliked carting the most was Red Sandcarpet for bridges or TW grade for tennis courts as both could stick like [zb] to a blanket and involve breaking out the Spear and Jackson to clean the body after tipping.

Pete.

Well you live n learn ! never new about that water thing, too late now. Do you know what that stuff was called in my last post? It only ever went to airports n smelt horrible, not nice like the rest, went down hot didn,t think to ask at the time

coomsey:
Has anybody had experience of those artic tippers that cocked up on the back axles ? Not for the feint hearted I,ve always felt.Did you get more payload?
The worst scenario I should imagine must be the guys who worked the ones with the donkey engines I much prefer to be at the steering wheel when tipping
(not sure why cos theres nowt you can do) possibly not so keen if she rolled over. If she went away from you when outside good if she came at you then a Buster Keaton moment between rams n body if you,re lucky

I had a hoyner trailer or a while , tipped on the back wheels . If i was tipping into a bunker , drop the red line and tip steady and if tipping in the open , foot hard on the brake and tip . when you tipped in the latter fashion it dragged the load out , not always popular with the workforce . Never had any stability problems even though it was a dropside and bent a bit when tipping . dave