Tippers nightmare

Thank’s Robert.

Power lines, now that was yet another thing we had to contend with! We had a couple that ended up with all the tyres and brake diaphragms blown out but luckily the drivers escaped injury as they stayed in the cab. I seem to remember a lad on Plant’s from Tean who was tipping in a field and he jumped out but still had hold of the cab when his feet touched the ground, killed him alas. :cry: Phone lines could be a pain in the arse as well, body up and down between then while being pushed with a paver but at least id didn’t kill you if you caught one. I was tipping at BL in Longbridge in the eighties (one of Tilcons own gangs as well) and was warned about the computer cables overhead by one of the staff: “Of course I’m not going to catch them” I replied, disgusted that he should think that I would. However… I backed onto the paver and the driver was sitting on the right so I lined myself up with the machine and he started pushing me…then suddenly locked over to the left! He had changed sides!! :open_mouth: Well you can’t get an eight wheeler Sed Ak with supertanker steering lock to change direction rapidly, I became wedged on the machines pan sides and couldn’t drop the body and he still carried on shoving me sideways! Anyway I was empty and tried to draw off but was stuck fast. Driver and ganger started shouting, so I drew off leaving part of the mudguard behind. They couldn’t give a toss of course. :unamused: When I jumped back in the cab I noticed cables draped across the body, I had ripped the bloody cables down! I chucked them in the body, cleared off back home and never heard a thing about it! :laughing: I learned then that some gangs must get up in the morning with the sole intent on making a drivers life hell every day. :confused: Of course this was before they used banksmen and you were very much on your own to fathom things out.

Pete.