Albion Cameronian

How many of you realise that the last Albion 8 wheeler was called a Cameronian, they had the L.A.D. cab and the Leyland 400 power plus engine. Most were built for export to Australia

Tarmac had at least one Cameronian tipper.

Pete.

windrush:

Pete.

They had one that was bought off Hoveringham, which was a Special Super Reiver, it was also the forunner to the Cameronian

A 400 in an 8-wheeler? Must have taken a rare driver to cope with all that power! :unamused:

That Tarmac tipper belonged to the late Brian Freer who ran out of Corby.

According to my Albion “bible” Cameronians were intended for Australia for front loading dumpster use, inspired by the Hoveringham Reiver, only three stayed here, went to Russell of Bathgate with grain bulker bodies.
Bernard

The old girl is looking a bit better now

Here are a couple more photo’s of my Camerionian loaded with my Fordson Majors on a 1300kms trip I did late last year. The only main problems I had was the fuel filter blocked up and the wiper linkage broke about 2 hours from home

Looking good now Ian just needs the sun visors :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lance Biscomb:
Looking good now Ian just needs the sun visors :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I agree it would look better with a sunvisor, I think there are a lot of lorries that look better with them than without them ( The F10/ F12 and F88 cabs ) to name a few also the Scanias

windrush:

Pete.

Would it have been an attempt to get the max payload by specc’in the lightest engine ? I wonder how much was saved on the price they had to pay as opposed to a regular 600 engine chassis ? Interesting all the same ! Cheers Dennis.

I see the Tarmac one has Ausi mirror arms must have been to stop them folding in with all that POWER when up to speed :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Those mirrors on the Tarmac Albion look like Western Mirrors that Ford fitted to the D series my father had them on a 1971 D1000

dci320:
Those mirrors on the Tarmac Albion look like Western Mirrors that Ford fitted to the D series my father had them on a 1971 D1000

The mirrors are aussie ones, a lot of trucks over here use them

blackshadow:

dci320:

The mirrors are aussie ones, a lot of trucks over here use them

I have to disagree, I think they really are the optional “Western wings” (I think they called them) that Ford UK offered on the D series at the time. I thought they were of a bit daft option as they could not be folded in without tools… Not really useful in the many tight spots I had to get in to! So I guess they were recycled from the Ford parts bin.

Note that we are talking about the Tarmac wagon, not yours!

I believe in the Northeast we termed these mirrors ‘West Coast’ on the D1000 but as with most nicknames different parts of the country had their own variations, they do seem to be what is fitted to the Tarmac Albion but why anyone would want to, although most 60’s style mirrors were far too small, I recall my Father changing his 1965 Seddon mirrors to a larger size and the wipers which were also not long enough. Franky.

Here is another one I saw in the Australian transport hall of fame

523.JPG

Having read the Albion book I knew about the Cameronian. Can’t thing for the life of me why they would only put a 400 in it when the Octopus ran 600s and 680s. I saw a model of an Albion 8 legger by B-T models. Its a Benzole tanker and they class it as a Reiver. Again the book mentions there were some Reivers or Super Reivers that were 8 leggers. Just made me wonder if the model version was meant to be a Cameronian but they had got their facts wrong or if it really was a Reiver 8 legger.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk