Drivers Favourite "boozers" in the 50's/60's

The favourite boozer in Kendal was the Victoria Tavern just by the railway bridge as there was pull in’s on each side of the A6 in Longpool, the Plough Inn at Selside was another one and Scotsman were the main customers IIRC. No doubt there was many others in the old days on the trunk roads before the PC brigade took over eh! Cheers Bewick

The Red Lion Junction 15 M1 outside Northampton. Those skittles (in the sixties) stopped any conversation about the road ahead, but the place was a must coming back to East Anglia and short of time. Jim.

The Bungalow, on Renfrew Road in Paisley near to The Chivas Regal distillery.
The Woodman, near Saint Mary’s lorry park Aston, Birmingham, opposite the British Rail goods yard.
The Brickmaker’s Arms, Bedford, near The London Brickworks.
The Alveston, next to the transport café on the A38 about ten miles north of Bristol.
The Blind Beggar, Whitechapel Road, around the corner from Vallance Road lorry park.
The Red Lion, Aldgate.
The Montague Arms, New Cross.
The Dunkirk, on the A2 near Canterbury.
The Albion, Dover.
The Eastcliffe Hotel opposite Dover Eastern Docks.
Oh sorry Dennis, a couple of those I didn’t venture into until the early seventies. :blush:

Not sure if it was a ‘favourite’ or not - in the late 70’s when I was lad, I remember stopping quite few times with my Dad at the Jack the Ripper on Commercial St London, opposite the old Spitalfields market. It was quite normal to see a few artics parked on the side of the road, with the drivers inside having a quick pint. Imagine that today -

jmc jnr:
The Red Lion Junction 15 M1 outside Northampton. Those skittles (in the sixties) stopped any conversation about the road ahead, but the place was a must coming back to East Anglia and short of time. Jim.

You could get a ■■■■ fine evening meal there. Overnight parking was a bit of a lottery though

As for pubs, it was mostly ‘luck of the draw’ but there were two or three real old fashioned Tetley pubs on Hunslet rd. in Leeds. They were within spitting distance of the brewery so t’ale was always top class.
1960, we would come down loaded from Billingham going home to Batley and we’d stop for just 1 pint on Hunslet Rd.
Happy days

The Crooked Billet on Tower Hill London Allways full of drivers, Plus The Woolpack on the A 1 south of Normans X, Regards Larry.

The Plough Inn at Selside just north of Kendal on the A6 was a fav. of the Scotsmen also the Greyhound on the south side of Shap village.

The Coaches & Horses, (Jack Taylors) On the old A1 on the north side of Thinford, A regular stop on a Sunday for drivers heading down to The Smoke, Good beer & good roast beef sarnies, Still going as far as I know, Regards Larry.

The Kings Wark outside Lieth Docks,and there was another done the side road where the wagons parked at the waters edge bit of a rough house but the name is lost in the mists of time!!

joeshell:
The Kings Wark outside Lieth Docks,and there was another done the side road where the wagons parked at the waters edge bit of a rough house but the name is lost in the mists of time!!

Ah! Nick-named “The Jungle”. Was in there one night,(the King’s Wark) sitting at a table and watched a prossy pick a guys pockets whilst he was sitting at the bar.
She was to big and scary to say anything. If you frequented the docks, you might remember The Custom House, Cardiff and that big boozer opposite Newport Dock entrance ( name escapes me) - There was a shotgun in full view behind the bar there. Jim.

The Spotted Cow & The Kirkgate in Huddersfield, Regards Larry.

The Coach & Horses AKA Jack Taylors in th 50/60s era on the old A 1 at Thinford. Regards Larry.

Juniper berry Southampton was good for a laugh when the two queers had it, Viv and ?.
Hatchet, Bristol.
Turk’s head, Taunton.
Stable Bar, Broomielaw, Glasgow.
Bettys Bar, Gallowgate, Glasgow.
Green parrot, Perranporth.
Lord Clyde, City Hotel, Millers Dam. Bradford when at home. Les.

Looked on Google Earth - The one in Newport was the Waterloo. Jim

The Newcastle Arms under the Tyne Bridge at the bottom of Dene Street a regular haunt on a Friday night They did good sarnies too, The late Fred Smiles allways bought his drivers their first drink in those good old 50/60s days, Regards Larry.

Bewick:
The Plough Inn at Selside just north of Kendal on the A6 was a fav. of the Scotsmen also the Greyhound on the south side of Shap village.

1952 and first trip south of the border on a camping holiday, Morris 8, 3 of us(cousins) one double tent, 1 single, anyway had reason to stop at The Plough and being two 17 year old and a twelve year old it was not for a pint, so it may have been to set up camp, previous night spent near Lockerbie.
Oily

The Plough Inn Selside IMG_20161024_0002.jpg

don’t know about the 50s but 60s 70s 80s the Hole in the wa in Dumfries was a well used boozer when parked up on the Sands or in brooms road carpark…also in Lockerbie the Crown,the st Mungo and the Black bull (where the buses stopped in the 60s). Moffat…The Black bull a good bar.

Wouldn’t say these were favourite boozers more of a convenience, The Iron Grey, Sandbach, mine host Mr Stallard, digs with good grub.
The Malt Shovel, Carlisle near to the digs in Corporation Road, game of dominoes and a pint, something a bit more lively, The Apple Tree, Lowther Street, Carlisle, only pub in Carlisle as I remember with a juke box, a tanner got you Roy Orbison and Pretty Woman.
A load to Eastbourne would mean a return load from Dover of Fiats for Newcastle with first overnight in Canterbury at an old coaching inn, found it here tho’ it was not called by this name then britainexpress.com/attractio … ction=3362 quaint and absolutely original, digs right at the top of the house, sloping wood floors, pristine sheets and blankets with quilt cover and the best bit, a stone hot water bottle already in the bed, yes and yes again the good old days.
Oily

Stonebeck Inn just outside Penrith on the Carlisle side was a favourite of both Scots and English drivers as I recall. Bewick.

A favourite of most of my pals was the “Tally Ho” at Adwick le Street just along the road from the Red House Cafe. My era there was the seventies, although by then the cafe was in decline, the pub was thriving. Many a lock in!! How we got away with late boozing and early starts l will never know. :smiley: :smiley: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Regards Kev.