Retro Truck show 2016

September 10/11th is the Retro show, main show Sunday, at the British Motor Museum, (Gaydon), there are over 400 retro trucks expected along with a number of manufactures attending, including Scania with their new model launched this week in Paris, great timing as Scania celebrate 125 years and a Centurian milestone, so expect a great line up, along with Volvo and DAF, with old and new on show. Along with trade stands both in site and out…not forgetting those splendid models…no not Sam Fox, :smiley: :smiley:

The family feel show will have music on all day in the marquee, and beer on hand to refresh us all!

You can pre book tickets and save a bob I think on line, at the British Motor Museum web site, hope to see you there

If you want. To bring a truck please book ahead of the event

Hoping to go this year, can’t take a truck as our old girl has been sold on, and I don’t think an 09 reg CF tipper is old enough. The new collection storage building is good, had fun in there seeing some of the embarassments of British motoring…that my relatives owned. :blush: :laughing:

I’ll be there milling about as usual; and signing books on the Old Pond stand at 14:30 both days. At the risk of taking myself too seriously, here’s a flyer produced by Old Pond Publishing for the event! Robert

Robert Hackford.jpg

It’s looking good for the weekend: lots of our old chums will be there. I’ll certainly pop any photos on here after the event. Cheers, Robert :smiley:

Unfortunately I can’t make it but am hoping that Ashley will organise another Middle East special for next year.

Looking forward to the Retro Show on Saturday. The F12 is packed to the roof with truck memorabilia and parts. Hoping to get rid of all that junk( as the other half calls it)!! Anyone interested in Scanias 142,143 or Volvos F10, F12 or F88 I have quite a few parts. I am also bringing collections of Classic Commercial Magazine and Heritage Magazines, some first editions.I have also got some Dinky and Corgi classic trucks eg. D. Steven and Son of Wick model no:76603. I will be setting up my stall next to Steel Boy F10 (aka Blagit) early Saturday. :wink: :sunglasses:

Lance Biscomb:
Looking forward to the Retro Show on Saturday. The F12 is packed to the roof with truck memorabilia and parts. Hoping to get rid of all that junk( as the other half calls it)!! Anyone interested in Scanias 142,143 or Volvos F10, F12 or F88 I have quite a few parts. I am also bringing collections of Classic Commercial Magazine and Heritage Magazines, some first editions.I have also got some Dinky and Corgi classic trucks eg. D. Steven and Son of Wick model no:76603. I will be setting up my stall next to Steel Boy F10 (aka Blagit) early Saturday. :wink: :sunglasses:

Sounds like Del Boy has ■■■■■■■ on you Lance ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lance Biscomb:

Sounds like Del Boy has [zb] on you Lance ! Cheers Dennis.

Ah Del Boy …
Like Lance, loaded with F7/10/12 bits and bobs, including a full set of Volvo chrome hub caps off the demo F10, real retro! Found a box of truck brochures, even some 1980s, Mercedes,ERF,Foden,Volvo,Iveco, even Hino for our pals from Ireland, also usual DVDs including the 1980 Truckers series, Mrs B has loaded me up as its all got to go…
We look forward to seeing you over the weekend once I have finished on parking up duties!!! :open_mouth: bring plenty of cash ha. Ha SBF10

How was/is the show? Was going to go yesterday but weather was crap and can’t make it today.

A cracking day weather wise and a terrific show. I was there both days, but Sunday was the best. A great turnout of motors.

I agree. What a fantastic gathering! As usual, I met lots of really good old drivers, colleagues and some seriously excellent recorders of transport history. Absolutely cracking weekend. A feast of vehicles…

Here are just a few of my happy snaps.

DSCF6061.JPG

I loved that 40-foot tilt behind the Gilbert Volvo. It arrived early on Sunday morning in beautiful sunlight: pure bliss! :smiley:

Robert

This one twanged a heartstring, simply because I ran one of these down to the Middle-East and North Africa. This one was a later posh 520 with ZF transmission, whereas mine was a 420 straight six 14ltr with a Twin-splitter. I still think the Fiat 14-litre straight-six was a vastly under-valued engine: indestructible! Robert

DSCF6055.JPG

Then there was this: for me, the star of the show! But then, all of you who know me, would understand why I am beguiled by a LHD Middle-East ERF with a ■■■■■■■ lump and a 9-speed Fuller! :laughing: :sunglasses: Robert

DSCF6052.JPG
DSCF6053.JPG

This Wiltshire ERF B-series had been beautifully restored and the livery looked resplendent in the early Autumn sunlight. Note the lining out. Robert

DSCF6063.JPG

Sorry, but I do like a 40-foot spread-axle tilt! Robert

Excellent pictures Robert :slight_smile: I took about 250 pictures today, but on a phone, so they pale into insignificance!

Will leave this here though, will try and upload some more tomorrow, sounded amazing when leaving. Apologies for the wind noise. SWMBO was good enough to film this (and others) so I could enjoy the sights and sounds while people left:

youtube.com/watch?v=HEoEFlZfTzY

Funniest thing for me was the security/gestapo/plod driving round in the disco sport with his blue light on. In the video above, you will notice the Stan Robinson Kenworth parked near the entrance. This prompted a “rapid response” from disco sport driving hi-vis wearing gestapo. Who seemed to see the need to over take the trucks leaving with blue lights ablaze and sirens blaring, as it was obviously a major emergency having the Kenworth abandoned there. There was much blustering and posturing from said Gestapo. It just made me laugh (which I really don’t think he approved of). I couldn’t help it, it reminded me of this scene:

youtube.com/watch?v=Dz-Kb1wvy8s

I will try and get some more video’s up tomorrow. And will try and find some of my more acceptable pictures to put up.

Sean

edit tried to embed videos, but failed miserably. Links added instead.

seantoole5:
Excellent pictures Robert :slight_smile: I took about 250 pictures today, but on a phone, so they pale into insignificance!

Will leave this here though, will try and upload some more tomorrow, sounded amazing when leaving. Apologies for the wind noise. SWMBO was good enough to film this (and others) so I could enjoy the sights and sounds while people left:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEoEFlZfTzY

edit tried to embed videos, but failed miserably. Links added instead.

FTFY

My first time at the show, generally enjoyed it tho did think it a little spoiled by the amount of non retro Scanias there! First time at the museum too and I loved that. Went with my brother and Dad and Dad who started out as a mechanic then was in early forties before he did driving full time was great to have with us teaching us about all the different vehicles. My favourite truck was the Leyland Interstate. Such an underrated truck, in another set of circumstances could have beat the world. Seemingly as rare as hens teeth now.