Hoveringham gravel

hi all ,after many years of persuing a dream of launchin a book about hoveringham gravel.i have been informed today that my college is about to publish a book,he estimates the price to be about £25.the book will cover the history of hoveringham gravels from 1948 to its demise in the 80s.how many of you would be interested.

nigelhunt:
0hi all ,after many years of persuing a dream of launchin a book about hoveringham gravel.i have been informed today that my college is about to publish a book,he estimates the price to be about £25.the book will cover the history of hoveringham gravels from 1948 to its demise in the 80s.how many of you would be interested.

IIRC Hoveringham was owned by Needlers Chocolate ! Funny combination I always thought! Cheers Bewick.

Harrold needler was also the chaiman of hull city football team back in the early days.

nigelhunt:
0hi all ,after many years of persuing a dream of launchin a book about hoveringham gravel.i have been informed today that my college is about to publish a book,he estimates the price to be about £25.the book will cover the history of hoveringham gravels from 1948 to its demise in the 80s.how many of you would be interested.

Well I would being a Foden man, One of the best motors we ran, Regards Larry.

Me to,should be an interesting read for anybody interested in the construction and transport industry.

Mike.

Who can forget the howl of the 2 strokes when they were working hard?

.photo taken in dearbyshire.

just a couple of my hoveringham models.

.photo from the 1950s

[[/attachment]photo of the 60s.

28-02-2008224657-1.jpg1970s

I wonder who the lucky Foden Dealer was that sold Hoveringhams all their motors, or maybe they owned their own dealership or possibly dealt direct with Foden ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
I wonder who the lucky Foden Dealer was that sold Hoveringhams all their motors, or maybe they owned their own dealership or possibly dealt direct with Foden ! Cheers Bewick.

Possibly direct sales, or maybe they had a dealership like Tilcon did via North Riding Garages who were in the Tilling group. Tillings often ordered chassis/cabs in very large numbers, I was chatting to one of their old line managers a couple of years ago at Smallwood vintage rally and he told me that if a new purchaser only wanted a single eight wheeled tipper chassis with no extras they would ‘borrow’ one of Tilcons off the line and supply him with that. The buyer was then suitably impressed at the rapid delivery of his truck! :slight_smile:

Pete.

I just bet that the Salesman who “stuffed” them up with 2 stroke engines got a nice Christmas bonus every year eh! Cheers Dennis.

not sure who supplied the fodens,but we dealt with cossington commercials a lot.the leylands albions and scammells came from ford and slaters.
for anyone that’s really interested in this thread take a look at hoveringham gravel on facebook.plenty of info on there and lots of photos.

Let us know when the book is out Nigel- PM me-cheers…

Bewick:
I just bet that the Salesman who “stuffed” them up with 2 stroke engines got a nice Christmas bonus every year eh! Cheers Dennis.

One of the salesman for the Midlands area (Arthur Hassell from Ashbourne) later worked at our quarry driving a dumper. He took us on a tour of the factory back in the mid '70’s which was interesting. Sadly he was knocked off of his bike by a bus in the Potteries and killed.

I would be keen on the Hoveringham book, I didn’t have any dealings with them apart from running out of some of their former quarries etc when Tossmac owned them, the pit at Hoveringham itself being one of them. Hopefully somebody will write a book about Tilcon one day! :wink:

Pete.

Only thing I know about ‘Hoveringham’ is that I had a Matcbox series toy of a ‘Mickey Mouse’ Foden high sided tipper, in orange in the 60s.
I did not even know they were a real co. :blush: :smiley:

robroy:
Only thing I know about ‘Hoveringham’ is that I had a Matcbox series toy of a ‘Mickey Mouse’ Foden high sided tipper, in orange in the 60s.
I did not even know they were a real co. :blush: :smiley:

Oh dear, so young and so innocent! :laughing: They were a good company to work for judging by ex employers and OD’s that I knew and worked with but, as so often happens, a merger occoured with a large combine and things were never the same again. As Dennis said Needlers the chocolate company owned them at one time.

There are a few of those Foden’s up in my loft, both King Size and the smaller versions.

Pete.