Connals Transport,Maryhill,Glasgow

John West:
Interesting posts on here - the ones from a couple of years ago taking my name in vain, I missed! On the motorway the other day, my wife asked me why the green trailer in front was thinner than the others. I replied that it wasn’t - it was a double decker Dunelm Mill - and explained that it was an optical illusion because of the height. I suspect the Brown and Polson trailers were also full width.

As I remember, most of Pritchett Bros box trailers were Crane Fruehauf, which I think were based on the earlier Boden design. (I’m sure Bewick will know their parentage) all these years later I can’t remember which door opened first (I think it was the offside). What I am sure of is that the other most popular make, York, opened the other door first. What Ratcliffe’s trailers did, I don’t remember.

Eddie referred to ‘The Beach’. A part of the drive next to our house had a sort of ‘shingly’ surface, not having been tarmacced. My stepmother would say ‘park your lorry on the beach, not on the drive!’ Pritchett’s yard was similar in that it was part tarmac and part what I guess was flattened ‘tip’ from the original coal mine on the site. I referred to it as the beach in the office and this name somehow seemed to catch on (or was it just me Eddie?)

Interesting that the ‘Commissioners’ who were paid come rain or shine, imposed fines on the company that was helping provide their salaries, for what were really technical offences - if they bankrupted them they wouldn’t care. We sometimes have some odd ways of looking after the companies which actually do the work and earn the money, while being lenient on thieves and chancers, or is that just a grumpy old man speaking? Oh no, he’s on another thread!

John.

John, Your comments about the back doors on van trailers has explained something to me. Have a look at the posting
that I put on this page on 13/8/2016. We still occasionally enjoy a nice tin of salmon :slight_smile: :wink: . Ray.