Greenbanks Dairy,Liverpool

Hello, I am Ray Smyth,Ex Robert Baillie of Portsmouth 1970s,
Based at their Wigan depot. Attached is a photo of my Dad,Robert Smyth (Bob),
stood beside Greenbanks Dairy 2 tonner,approx 1936.
He drove for Greenbanks until the outbreak of World War 2
in 1939. He was then called up for war service,and was a
driver for the Royal Air Force throughout the war. Can anybody
identify the lorry, I think it could be a Ford. Maybe its a Austin,
Bedford,or Morris. I believe Greenbanks became part of Liverpool
Co-operative Dairies in the late 1940s.

Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

This is Greenbanks Dairy at Glebe Farm, Walton Village, Liverpool

Glebe Farm.jpg

Ref. the lorry.Looking at the wheelnuts,I’d hazard a guess that is a Ford.Regards,900x20. :smiley:

Hi 900x20, Yes it is a Ford, Thanks to 2 posts on “Past & Present” Thread.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Same Ford lorry, same location, but a different day.

Ray Smyth.

Co-op Milk.jpgMorris LD Series Milk Lorry, Liverpool Co-operative Dairies, Summer 1959.
Youngest brother Roy (RIP) looking at the camera. Ray Smyth.

Greenbanks Dairy was taken over by Liverpool Co-operative Society Dairies,some time probably
between 1938 and 1946, I do not know the exact date. Central Dairy at Lockerby Road was the
main location, but there were smaller Co-op Dairies in other areas, such as Moss Lane,Aintree,
and Fazackerley. The dairy at Moss lane had some horse-drawn milk floats until the mid 50s.
Some of the Milkroundsmen who pulled a Handcart,or were employed on the horse-drawn floats
were not drivers,so the Co-op purchased several “Pedestrian Milk Floats”, known locally as a
“Walkie-Talkie”. One of them is seen here being rescued, usually because of a flat battery.
The Morris Commercial breakdown lorry was one of several that were milk floats that served the
outlying districts of Liverpool, this one seen after conversion to Breakdown spec. My Father,
seen in the 1st picture on this thread,drove a Morris Commercial milk lorry for the Co-op,
its Reg.No. was OS 6646, a Wigtownshire number. His area of delivery was the Litherland district
of Liverpool, where nowadays is the start of the M57 and M58 Motorways.
I am grateful to Dave/xkopite for this picture. Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

liverpool co-op.jpg

I would like to find any pictures of the large number of Electric Milk Floats
that were in the fleet of Liverpool Co-operative Dairies in the 1940s and 1950s.
There were " Morrison Electicars," " N.C.B.“, and a small number of " Brush” vehicles.
Another large milk float fleet was Hansons Dairies, later to become United Dairies.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

I put this first picture of a painting of Greenbanks Glebe Farm in Walton Village, Liverpool
on this thread almost 2 years ago, and yesterday, by pure chance, I found later picture
of Glebe Farm Dairy, then in the occupancy of George Bargh, Cowkeeper and Dairyman.
Bearing in mind that most Cowkeepers & Dairymen in Liverpool in the 1800s came from
North Lancashire and Westmorland, and that S.J. Bargh runs a large fleet of milk tankers
from Lancaster, I think that there must be a connection between the 1800s and the present day.
I wonder are there any S.J.Bargh Tanker pictures here on Trucknet ? Pictures 3 & 4 are my Dad,
stood beside his Ford 2 tonner in Buchanan Road, Walton, Liverpool. Kind Regards,

Ray Smyth.

Glebe Farm.jpg

Ray will these do for you?
SJ Bargh Ltd. began in 1935 (Words and Photos from their website)
The journey began in 1935 when Samuel James Bargh began a small business from his home near Lancaster transporting milk in churns from farms to a local dairy.
S J Bargh Commer (Churn collection).png

Stanfield:
Ray will these do for you?
SJ Bargh Ltd. began in 1935 (Words and Photos from their website)
The journey began in 1935 when Samuel James Bargh began a small business from his home near Lancaster transporting milk in churns from farms to a local dairy.1

Hi John, Thank you for the S.J.Bargh pictures. I am in occasional contact with a lady who lives in Warwickshire,
whose maiden name was Greenbank, and it was her Grandfather who started the dairy in Walton Village, Liverpool.
I understand that her Grandfather moved to larger premises in Bedford Road, Walton, and rented Glebe Farm Dairy
to George Bargh. Most of the milk on Merseyside many years ago came from “Cowkeepers” that had just 4 or 5
milking cows, that were kept and milked in a shippon in the back yard, and walked to the nearest field on a daily
routine to eat the grass, unlike “Proper Farmers” that had acres of grazing land, etc.
On a sad note, just 250 yards from Glebe Farm in Walton Village is where toddler Jamie Bulger was found in 1993.

Kind Regards, Ray.

Seen in Eccles several years ago after leaving Creamline Dairies.

Ray

These are pictures of 36 Bedford Road, Walton, Liverpool, taken in the recent past.
From the early 1900s, the building was Greenbanks Dairy. Ray Smyth.

Bedford Road.png

I found this composite picture recently of Greenbanks Dairy in Walton Village, Liverpool,
the old part of the picture is after Greenbanks moved to a bigger site in Bedford Road, Walton,
and then rented Glebe Farm to George Bargh, Cowkeeper. I have wondered a few times lately
whether Buzzer was aware of many cowkeepers in Liverpool, and possibly elsewhere, when
dairymen kept 4 or 5 milking cows in the back yard, took them out each day to chew on local
grass, unlike proper farmers whose cattle could graze in the farmers fields. Ray Smyth.

Walton Village.png

Scania milk tanker from the large fleet of S.J. Bargh from Caton, near Lancaster.

S.J.Bargh.jpg

Seels Dairy in Liverpool were still doing milk deliveries with a horse and cart in the early 1960s.

Seels Milk.jpg

From my memory from long ago, Hansons Dairy was the largest milk supplier on Merseyside.
Their main dairy was in the Aintree district of Liverpool. I believe Hansons were part of
United Dairies, and they had a large fleet of lorries and Morrison Electicars milk floats.

I posted this first picture on this thread in July 2017. The Liverpool Co-op Dairy breakdown lorry has
brought a Pedestrian Milk Float to replace the brokendown one. The second picture which I found the
other day shows the breakdown driver and the Milk Roundsman transshipping the crates of milk and
crates of empty bottles on to the replacement Milk Float. Pictures by Bootle History Forum.

Ray Smyth.

Co-op Milk Float.jpg

Co-op Milk Float...jpg

Another old Liverpool dairy seen in this film, which includes some nice period shots of old lorries.

Regards John.

A Scania milk tanker from S.J Bargh from Caton, near Lancaster.
Bargh Dairies took over Glebe Farm Dairy in Walton Village in
Liverpool when Greenbanks moved to larger premises on Bedford Road.

Ray Smyth.