Greenbanks Dairy,Liverpool

Greenbanks Dairy was taken over by Liverpool Co-operative Society Dairies,some time probably
between 1938 and 1946, I do not know the exact date. Central Dairy at Lockerby Road was the
main location, but there were smaller Co-op Dairies in other areas, such as Moss Lane,Aintree,
and Fazackerley. The dairy at Moss lane had some horse-drawn milk floats until the mid 50s.
Some of the Milkroundsmen who pulled a Handcart,or were employed on the horse-drawn floats
were not drivers,so the Co-op purchased several “Pedestrian Milk Floats”, known locally as a
“Walkie-Talkie”. One of them is seen here being rescued, usually because of a flat battery.
The Morris Commercial breakdown lorry was one of several that were milk floats that served the
outlying districts of Liverpool, this one seen after conversion to Breakdown spec. My Father,
seen in the 1st picture on this thread,drove a Morris Commercial milk lorry for the Co-op,
its Reg.No. was OS 6646, a Wigtownshire number. His area of delivery was the Litherland district
of Liverpool, where nowadays is the start of the M57 and M58 Motorways.
I am grateful to Dave/xkopite for this picture. Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

liverpool co-op.jpg